You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"Rodgers anger at ref calls"

Brigant Moloch

:whistle:

Liverpool's Brendan Rodgers goes to referees' boss over decisions - ESPNFC

Rodgers anger at ref calls

September 27, 2012

Email

Print

By Mike Whalley

Brendan Rodgers has complained to referees' boss Mike Riley after seeing a number of key decisions go against his Liverpool side this season.

PA Photos

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers wants to get more decisions from referees

• Lucas: Worst year of my life

• Sahin: Rodgers needs time

Rodgers' team have had three penalties given against them in five league games this season, in addition to receiving two red cards. The Liverpool manager is also annoyed that Luis Suarez has had two plausible penalty appeals rejected in their last two league games.

Suarez was booked for diving during a 1-1 draw at Sunderland two weeks ago after he seemed to be caught by John O'Shea, then had a penalty appeal rejected when Jonny Evans challenged him during Manchester United's 2-1 win at Anfield last Sunday.

"It's been a trend for me," Rodgers said. "I arrived here having worked at a big club before. I had four-and-a-half terrific years at Chelsea. And I'd certainly seen enough games at that level to see that sometimes the big clubs do get the decisions.

"I came here, to one of the biggest clubs in the world, and in my opening period, we haven't got a thing. So I just wanted to ask the question and put my point across. And Mike was excellent. He's doing a terrific job, because being head of the referees is not easy."

Rodgers called Riley on Thursday morning to voice his frustration at the standard of refereeing during Wednesday night's 2-1 Capital One Cup victory at West Brom.

He added: "I think Mike had been expecting me to call him a little bit earlier. It's just become obvious, especially after last night's game. Jordan Henderson had a horrendous challenge in the game last night and the player wasn't even booked.

"One of my young players, Andre Wisdom, made a really good tackle and won the ball, and got booked for it. And there have been a number of incidents. But I just said to Mike: 'Look, we have to be careful that we don't discourage players who try to respect the game'.

"We want to win the game, but we want to win it by fair means. To me, anyway, in this opening period of the season, that hasn't worked for us. We just need to be careful that getting the decision means diving on to the floor and rolling around, whereas if you try to stay on your feet, you may not. That was the point I was making to him."

Suarez has acquired a reputation for going to ground too easily since arriving in England from Ajax in January 2011. But Rodgers believes that reputation is unfair.

"I don't know what his reputation is with referees," he said. "But certainly from what I've seen so far, it doesn't look as if he's ever going to get a decision, and that's something that would bother me going forward.

"Luis Suarez went down away to Sunderland and it looked a clear penalty, and he ended up getting booked for it. Then last week in the Manchester United game, there was more contact in his case than in Antonio Valencia's case. Valencia gets a penalty and we get nothing but a hard luck story.

"But I'm sure that will change. That was my point to Mike."

sorry if already posted elsewhere

I am disappointed that Rodgers is going this route, one which ultimatley brought about KK's downfall.

Our fortune and future is in our own hands. It is what Rodgers and the players do which will make the difference, not moaning at referees. As soon as you blame others you take away your own responsibility and are doomed.Luis will get more deciions by shutting up and getting into goalscoring positions.

Wed nights performance showed that it is down to us- and we are capable of delivering.

Even if he didn't say it you can understand why. In the long haul diving pays off. Not the most blatant ones, but those times when players do a little bit more to show they have been fouled. I fucking hate it myself, but it happens all the time and a lot of teams benefit from it and it just shows that refs do encourage diving through their own actions.

I am disappointed that Rodgers is going this route, one which ultimatley brought about KK's downfall.

Our fortune and future is in our own hands. It is what Rodgers and the players do which will make the difference, not moaning at referees. As soon as you blame others you take away your own responsibility and are doomed.Luis will get more deciions by shutting up and getting into goalscoring positions.

Wed nights performance showed that it is down to us- and we are capable of delivering.

Definitely some truth in what you say, but we clearly haven't got what we deserved from the opening 5 league games and some of that, although a large part is down to our woeful finishing, can be attributed to 2 or 3 penalty incidents and 2 soft sending offs.

I don't think Rodgers is having a moan, more just making a point. I don't think it's in his nature to blame others, his work ethic is too strong for that easy cop out option.

The story on every neutrals lips that watched the game on Sunday was how Halsey got it very very wrong. After some media influence including a hatchet job by motd2 on his decisions being right and two tweets to Halsey being blown out of proportion, it was suddenly all about poor Halsey and his family.

Now I'm not for one second saying that the tweets were not wrong, they were. But get yourself a job where you are likely to piss off a few hundred thousand people and then get upset when two of them make a comment. Well I think he needs to either pack it on or get thicker skin. People do much harder jobs, for less pay with worse insults and they do not go crying when someone says something to them. Still, he should not have to put up with that but the law on social networking needs to be looked at, I just hope they are as vigilant when some scum make offensive comments about Hillsborough on twitter for example.

No, my point was that instead of attention being drawn to the numerous decisions he got wrong, attention was shifted. Now all i ask is that you sit down and wait for a referee to do that at old trafford, no seriously wait. Then see how the media leap all over it, see how the referee is hounded.

My point? Well my point is that Rogers is pissing in the wind here, they simply are not going to take any notice. Suarez is being victimised and we are not getting 1% of the 50/50 decisions, if Wednesdays game against WBA is anything to go by, we're not even getting the 100% decisions. Look at Dowd, the best of the shit. He decides Kieran Richardson as last man shouldn't get a red card for his tackle in the opening game against Sunderland last season. This season he decides that Agger should get a red card for a similar foul. As well as awarding a penalty. When we had heard in the Euros that referees are trying to change the rules so that teams are not punished twice, i.e. red card and penalty. When will this new rule come in to force, I can guess exactly when.

The only solution is to pick yourself up and score goals. Take the decisions out of the refs hands.

The story on every neutrals lips that watched the game on Sunday was how Halsey got it very very wrong. After some media influence including a hatchet job by motd2 on his decisions being right and two tweets to Halsey being blown out of proportion, it was suddenly all about poor Halsey and his family.

Now I'm not for one second saying that the tweets were not wrong, they were. But get yourself a job where you are likely to piss off a few hundred thousand people and then get upset when two of them make a comment. Well I think he needs to either pack it on or get thicker skin. People do much harder jobs, for less pay with worse insults and they do not go crying when someone says something to them. Still, he should not have to put up with that but the law on social networking needs to be looked at, I just hope they are as vigilant when some scum make offensive comments about Hillsborough on twitter for example.

No, my point was that instead of attention being drawn to the numerous decisions he got wrong, attention was shifted. Now all i ask is that you sit down and wait for a referee to do that at old trafford, no seriously wait. Then see how the media leap all over it, see how the referee is hounded.

My point? Well my point is that Rogers is pissing in the wind here, they simply are not going to take any notice. Suarez is being victimised and we are not getting 1% of the 50/50 decisions, if Wednesdays game against WBA is anything to go by, we're not even getting the 100% decisions. Look at Dowd, the best of the shit. He decides Kieran Richardson as last man shouldn't get a red card for his tackle in the opening game against Sunderland last season. This season he decides that Agger should get a red card for a similar foul. As well as awarding a penalty. When we had heard in the Euros that referees are trying to change the rules so that teams are not punished twice, i.e. red card and penalty. When will this new rule come in to force, I can guess exactly when.

The only solution is to pick yourself up and score goals. Take the decisions out of the refs hands.

'Bang on' as the Bombardier would say.

In the 1988 Olympics, after seeing Roy Jones jr get robbed by the judges, Lennox Lewis decided that he had the only two judges he needed and won the Gold without the need for corruption or a farce to jeopardise it.

We need to start winning games beyond doubt by outscoring the opposition. Eradicate doubt and close the door on bias. The longer the fight goes on the more chance there is for the Ref to start deducting points. Get in there, get the opponent finished off and ask questions later.

And cue the grauniad usual bullshit twisting of words :

Brendan Rodgers warns that Liverpool may start diving to get decisions

Brendan Rodgers warns that Liverpool may start diving to get decisions | Football | guardian.co.uk

Saw that, couldnt believe it.

BR: We get fouled and get given nothing. Its a shame because we try to play the right way and stay on our feet when we can.

Journo: I'm a fucking retard.

Sorry, thats bullshit.

On Sunday we played our hearts out, and we lost only due to pathetic officiating. If it continues we'll be no better than where we are now, regardless of the performances we give.

Couldn't agree more Xerxes. Some of the idiots on here are convinced that Suarez is an angel who never dives, cheats or antagonises referees with his petulant reactions.Funny how they never thought there was a conspiracy in our favour from the FA and referees when we were winning Leagues and getting the odd benefit of the decision.

• Downvote 1

Thing is, we're damned if we do, damned if we don't i.e.try to draw attention to these grotesque inconsistencies, which invariably seem to affect us unfavourably. If anyone at the club says anything, the rest of the football world throws up the whole 'whingeing scousers' thing, despite the fact that even a blind man on a galloping horse could see the validity of Rodgers' argument. Keeping a dignified silence when such rampant injustices occur on a weekly basis is tough.

Kenny spoke to Manc Riley early last season.... and guess what - things got worse! As for taking matters into our own hands and making sure we don't leave ourselves open to more refereeing blunders/bias - I agree that's what we ought to be trying to do. But given our inability to score goals, most of our games are tight - and too frequently they're decided by a referee rather than a footballer.

Thing is, we're damned if we do, damned if we don't i.e.try to draw attention to these grotesque inconsistencies, which invariably seem to affect us unfavourably. If anyone at the club says anything, the rest of the football world throws up the whole 'whingeing scousers' thing, despite the fact that even a blind man on a galloping horse could see the validity of Rodgers' argument. Keeping a dignified silence when such rampant injustices occur on a weekly basis is tough.

Kenny spoke to Manc Riley early last season.... and guess what - things got worse! As for taking matters into our own hands and making sure we don't leave ourselves open to more refereeing blunders/bias - I agree that's what we ought to be trying to do. But given our inability to score goals, most of our games are tight - and too frequently they're decided by a referee rather than a footballer.

Yeah I'm normally a "Fuck the refs, lets just outscore the opposition" type of guy.

But its got past ridiculous and its not like we can turn goals on like a tap at the minute so we have to fight our corner.

Other clubs have and continue to put pressure on refs, we need to also. Its not a nice thing to live with but its just reality.

And as for Kenny saying the same thing to Reilly last year, so what. Sometimes you just have to keep banging on a door to get what you want. We can't just keep sitting idly by doing nothing because thats not doing us much good is it.

Luis will get more deciions by shutting up and getting into goalscoring positions.

It's when he's in those very same goalscoring positions that he's having decisions go against him. Referees don't seem to mind giving him free kicks when he's 40 yards from goal. It's when he is in and around the penalty area that they more often than not assumed he's exaggerating. His finishing is erratic and he should have at least twice as many goals as he's got for us, of that there is no question. But there is something else at play here, and it doesn't just involve the Suarez situation.

There is a trend with how our forwards have fared compared to the opposition forwards over the past 6-7 years. I wouldn't suggest anything sinister or calculated is definitely underfoot, but consider the following.

How often did you see Crouch get penalised for raising his arms when challenging for an aerial ball, despite his marker also raising his arms when jumping? That Crouch was taller seemed to work against him. Since leaving Liverpool, I've seen him play for Portsmouth, Spurs and Stoke without being penalised nearly as much yet he plays in exactly the same way. How do you think Crouch should have challenged for the ball?

How often did you see Torres get kicked to ribbons by defenders without getting a free kick? Then, when he so much as spoke about it to the referee, he ended up getting booked for dissent. It took the intensity out of his game and made the job of the defenders that much easier knowing they could get away with murder. What do you think would have been different if he'd kept his mouth shut?

How often did you see Carroll get penalised in a similar manner to Crouch? Usually 50/50 challenges saw his opponent given the benefit of the doubt. At Newcastle, he could play exactly the same way and got away with more, and when he played for West Ham last month, he was aggressive yet got away with much more than he ever did in a Liverpool shirt. What do you think Carroll should have done differently given his obvious strengths?

How often have you seen an opposition striker - when playing against us - climb all over his marker, shove, pull, back into, look for the slightest contact and incorporate all those irritating aspects of his game in his performance yet still get the benefit of the doubt from referees time and time again? I've seen some utterly fucking shit strikers have a field day against us not because they are good or because they played well, but because they were given the benefit of the doubt in pretty much every significant 50/50 situation and it meant we had to back off, against our better judgement. How do you think we as a team should handle that scenario?

It's generally not the direct decisions I have a big issue with. Everyone will get up in arms about non-penalties and dodgy red cards and so on. That is and can be highly subjective. However, we have had 4 different managers over the time period I mentioned earlier, and each has faced what appears to be a systematic blunting of the team's competitive edge by the nature of how decisions have been made by referees during matches. It's not about players not winning their individual battles (although that has been the case on more than a few occasions), but about players seemingly not being allowed to engage in battle.

Think about this. In midweek, if Sebastian Coates had challenged Ben Foster in the exact same way that Jonas Olsson challenged Brad Jones, and it had resulted in one of our players finding the back of the net from the subsequent loose ball, I can be almost certain that the goal would have been disallowed and the foul given.

That is not me speaking with red-tinted glasses, but simple observation of what's been going on over the past 6-7 years. I've been posting on this forum for over 3 years now and have commented on many matches with a significant level of detail, so I know where I'm coming from when I make certain claims.

Good post Dave, sums up my feelings too. I hope Rodgers doesnt make a habit of this.