You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

11 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I’m very much the type of person to try and ‘walk things off’ but everything I’m reading says that will make it worse. Think I’ll just rest it until Monday and see how it feels then. If it’s alright I’ll just try a 5k walk or something and see how I get on, if it’s still hurting I’ll make an appointment with the doctor. 

Nothing wrong with resting it, of course.

I've read those things too.  But it is only reading.  And only an opinion, which are the easiest things in the world to find these days.

And everyone's different I reckon, despite the increasing hollers for our homogenisation.

Walking it off might help for some, not for others - perhaps dictated by other pre-existing or genetic factors.

My pathetic motto has increasingly been, as a man that drinks and eats too much nowadays (well, always actually), that I'd rather my hip or my knee gave way one day, when I'm 75 for instance, than my heart.

Good luck, Rapey.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I’m very much the type of person to try and ‘walk things off’ but everything I’m reading says that will make it worse. Think I’ll just rest it until Monday and see how it feels then. If it’s alright I’ll just try a 5k walk or something and see how I get on, if it’s still hurting I’ll make an appointment with the doctor. 

How does it feel if you squeeze either side of your ankles? That’ll give you an idea how bad it is 

18 minutes ago, Champ said:

How does it feel if you squeeze either side of your ankles? That’ll give you an idea how bad it is 

Uncomfortable but it’s not causing me massive pain. It’s just settled into a dull, constant ache at the minute. I’ll just play it by ear over the next few days. 

22 minutes ago, skaro said:

Thanks depends on whether you're wearing socks with your Birkenstocks, doesn't it?

I suspected long term wear of Converses but I’m tempted to go back and have another go

11 minutes ago, skaro said:

And millions of underprivileged kids dream of having a pair of Nikes - ironically made by underprivileged kids in sweat shops.

Oh, gawd, something else to feel guilty about

7 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Anyone else had achilles tendinitis before, and if so, how long did it last?

Pretty sure I’ve got that now from exercising, fucking killing me and most places say to resolve the issue you have to rest it for three months! Can’t be doing with that.

Does it go under your heel?, if it does it could be Plantar Fasciitis.

When I had it it wasn't too bad until I got out of bed but as soon as I put weight on it, it hurt like fuck.

Took about a month and loads of Naproxen to sort out.

8 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Does it go under your heel?, if it does it could be Plantar Fasciitis.

When I had it it wasn't too bad until I got out of bed but as soon as I put weight on it, it hurt like fuck.

Took about a month and loads of Naproxen to sort out.

I had that and was in constant discomfort for about 18 months until I got a cortisone shot into my heel 2 years ago now. Instant relief and haven't had an issue since. 

I've just come off weeks of bed rest after hurting my back and decided I'd start my foray back into fitness slowly, went for an hour long walk yesterday thinking what could possibly go wrong there. My right achilles is now killing me and I'm having trouble hobbling around the house. Getting old is great.

• Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Soft Joe said:

Day 4 post wisdom tooth extraction. What I had originally envisaged as a lovely week long sabbatical from work in the spring sunshine has now turned to abject misery. Could do with this pain fucking off before my 6 year old arrives tomorrow for Easter weekend.

Did they not give you some decent painkillers?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Did they not give you some decent painkillers?

No. Have had to make do with over the counter ones. Not really cutting the mustard. Hopefully by the weekend I’ll be able to eat normally again! I originally felt guilty about taking more than a day off work. Turns out a week was necessary after all.

1 minute ago, Soft Joe said:

No. Have had to make do with over the counter ones. Not really cutting the mustard. Hopefully by the weekend I’ll be able to eat normally again! I originally felt guilty about taking more than a day off work. Turns out a week was necessary after all.

Ring them back and see if they'll prescribe you some strong co-Codamol and/ or Naproxen.

• Upvote 1

upper arm pain

I have either tendonitis or a rotator cuff tear that is giving me all end of problems. 

the pain isnt always there, in fact I could probably bowl a good morning session of off spin at county cricket level and not feel a thing but if I put a tight fitting coat on, or close a door behind me, or if I reach into the back seat of the car from drivers side I get a long lasting sharp painful twinge that brings me to tears. Like I’ve been given my BCG jab by a Tyson fury after an afternoon on the Stella.

ive had it for about 4 months and it’s getting worse. Doctors aren’t that arsed as annoyingly when they’re contorting me into numerous positions that humans aren’t really designed for it doesn’t actually hurt when it needs to

So far this year I've had Covid, Long Covid, Shingles and high cholesterol - but none of it compares to the bastard splinter I got in my thumb this morning. Fucking hell. I think it'd be less painful just to chop my whole hand off. The twat has retreated and I can't even see it now. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I’ve had a suspicious looking mole removed from my shoulder yesterday, big hole and a few stitches. Fuck me it hurts today. Now waiting for the results. 

Good luck, hopes it's nothing to worry about.