You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The '2012 London Olympics' Thread

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I've saw a programme about him in the lead up to the Beijing Olympics...reckon he'd be quite high maintenance.

The end was quite shocking when they noted that Ricky had broken his back and wouldnt be competing.....brought home the vulnerability of people with significant disabilities being thrown from their horses (assuming that is what happened)

Alistair & Jonny Brownlee reveal pensioner's £10 gift

The Brownlee brothers have revealed an 89-year-old man sent them a letter after their heroics at the Olympics - including a £10 note for each of them.

Alistair won gold and younger brother Jonny won bronze in the triathlon in London and tens of thousands welcomed them home to Leeds on Monday.

But it was the letter from the pensioner that touched them most.

"He wrote that he had watched us and that it was one of the best things he had seen in his life," Alistair said.

"He also included a tenner for both of us and said that he wasn't putting his name or address on it so that we couldn't send it back!

"I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet. I've been so busy with media and everything else since that I haven't had a chance to do anything with it.

Play mediaAlistair Brownlee wins triathlon gold

"I've had the letter in one pocket and my gold medal in the other."

Both brothers have had little time to dwell on their Olympic success, with Alistair due to fly to America for a triathlon next month and Jonny competing in Stockholm next week.

"It's been pretty hectic since [the Olympics]. We've only had a brief chance to see our parents," Alistair added.

"I've started training again and initially it is quite easy because you get back into a bit of normality.

"Then as you start to do a bit of harder training you do think 'this is hard work'."

Jonny admitted life after the Olympics was a "massive comedown", with the 22-year-old planning to move out of the house he has shared with Alistair for the past three years.

Jonny said: "It's hard to get back into training but it is what I love to do. Then I've got the house - I've actually got no furniture so I'm going to have to sort that out.

"I'll be looking for a few freebies off my family and friends to start off with. Maybe my new fame will help too."

Guest Pistonbroke
Alistair & Jonny Brownlee reveal pensioner's £10 gift

The Brownlee brothers have revealed an 89-year-old man sent them a letter after their heroics at the Olympics - including a £10 note for each of them.

Alistair won gold and younger brother Jonny won bronze in the triathlon in London and tens of thousands welcomed them home to Leeds on Monday.

But it was the letter from the pensioner that touched them most.

"He wrote that he had watched us and that it was one of the best things he had seen in his life," Alistair said.

"He also included a tenner for both of us and said that he wasn't putting his name or address on it so that we couldn't send it back!

"I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet. I've been so busy with media and everything else since that I haven't had a chance to do anything with it.

Play mediaAlistair Brownlee wins triathlon gold

"I've had the letter in one pocket and my gold medal in the other."

Both brothers have had little time to dwell on their Olympic success, with Alistair due to fly to America for a triathlon next month and Jonny competing in Stockholm next week.

"It's been pretty hectic since [the Olympics]. We've only had a brief chance to see our parents," Alistair added.

"I've started training again and initially it is quite easy because you get back into a bit of normality.

"Then as you start to do a bit of harder training you do think 'this is hard work'."

Jonny admitted life after the Olympics was a "massive comedown", with the 22-year-old planning to move out of the house he has shared with Alistair for the past three years.

Jonny said: "It's hard to get back into training but it is what I love to do. Then I've got the house - I've actually got no furniture so I'm going to have to sort that out.

"I'll be looking for a few freebies off my family and friends to start off with. Maybe my new fame will help too."

That just put a smile on my face mate, thanks for sharing.

Guest Pistonbroke
Has he dedicated his bronze medal to his Dad yet?

I went for tab mate as i couldn't be arsed listening to the cunt a moment longer. He's a rite fucking biff.

Guest Pistonbroke
Loved the way the old boy wouldn't put his name and address on the letter so they could send it back.

Hope the old boy gets a bit of nice Karma...a BJ off some young blond maybe...

Off to bed now...take it easy Col, catch you tomorrow at some time. Still loads to sort out for Monday and i'll have an eye on the cricket.

That Oscar Prestorius running in the Olympics got me thinking; if it's now ok for a disabled athlete to compete against able-bodied athletes in the regular Olympics, would it also be ok for an able-bodied athlete to compete in the Paralympics ?

Mike Tyson versus a blind guy in Paralympic Boxing ?

Panic not..at least not yet anyway.....I meant it looked like the programme that was on last night is going to be on every night this week. Dont know about after that. Curiously, Clare Balding was on it...not sure if she was a guest or a presenter

Guessing we're moving to the Paralympics thread now?

An official at an athletics event in the German city of Dusseldorf has died after being speared in the throat with a javelin.

The 74-year-old man was rushed to hospital after the accident on Sunday but died of his injuries.

The official, named locally as Dieter Strack, had gone to measure a throw but was hit by a javelin before it hit the ground, according to local media.

The competition was called off after the incident.

The 15-year-old competitor who threw the javelin is receiving psychological counselling, police spokesman Andre Hartwig told the Associated Press.

A statement on the website of the local athletics association identified the man as Mr Strack and said he was a "much-loved and experienced" sports judge.

"All of us who were there are horrified and in shock... We will always remember Dieter Strack," the statement said.

Occasional accidents occur in athletics disciplines such as the javelin and the hammer, but deaths are extremely rare.

In 2007, French long jumper Salim Sdiri was speared by a javelin at an athletics meeting in Rome and had to be taken to hospital for his injuries.

Panic not..at least not yet anyway.....I meant it looked like the programme that was on last night is going to be on every night this week. Dont know about after that. Curiously, Clare Balding was on it...not sure if she was a guest or a presenter

Guessing we're moving to the Paralympics thread now?

She could easily have passed as a competitor.

Guest Pistonbroke
Opening Ceremony tonight. Lets hope its more Danny Doyle than that Gavin letdown

Started off badly with cunt boy Cameron being interviewed for PR purposes, twat!!