You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The '2012 London Olympics' Thread

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Guest Pistonbroke

It really is down to the individual at the end of the day, being as I'm sports mad I love both events. I believe you also have to take the geographical aspect into consideration, an event on these scales is always going to make a difference if it is closer to home. The TV coverage is also important, modern day technologies just magnify the whole event. I agree with those who say the Olympics reach out to a broader spectrum of sporting fans, and in a lot of cases none sporting fans, but over here in Germany the general public were more bothered about the World cup than the Olympics, they had a chance in the WC and thought they were going to win it, there was far less optimism about the Olympics, you will find this is the case in most big sporting events unless you happen to be holding them.

Personally.....London 2012 topped any other experience as far as a sporting event goes.

Just ONE ticket made available to paying public as Team GB stars win silver during Olympics

The full extent of the ticketing farce at the London Olympics has been exposed by the publication of a full review of the ticketing programme.

The dense 976-page document highlights the gross number of tickets available to the 'Olympic family' compared to the relatively few available to the paying public for the most popular events and sessions.

Extraordinarily, there was a sailing finals day on August 9 - the day Luke Patience and Stuart Bithell won silver in the men's 470 - where 851 tickets went to sponsors and only one single ticket was available to the public.

Furthermore, for Danny Boyle's iconic opening ceremony - one of the most in-demand tickets of the fortnight - only 44 per cent of the tickets were available to the public while 66 per cent went to the Olympic family.

On the day in the velodrome when Sir Chris Hoy, Jason Kenny, Phillip Hindes won the men's sprint final, only 43 per cent of tickets were available to the public.

During Novak Djokovic's opening Olympic match on Centre Court at Wimbledon, 97 per cent of the available seats on court were given to the Olympic family.

Empty seats were one of the few negatives of a successful Olympics, with atmospheres at too many venues dented by swathes of empty seats allocated by the IOC but not taken up by sponsors.

In total 10.99 million tickets were sold out of a total 11.3 million tickets available. 8.21 million of these tickets were Olympic Games tickets and 2.78 million were Paralympic tickets.

A total of £659 million was raised for LOCOG's operating budget to stage the Games. 319,000 tickets (263,000 Olympic and 55,000 Paralympic) were unsold, the majority of these being early rounds for Olympic Football.

76.3 per cent of all Olympic and 91 per cent of all Paralympic tickets were sold through the UK application process against a target of 75 per cent. This amounted to an unprecedented 8.8 million tickets sold.

Gotta find it ourselves, have we?

And I thought you were contributing to the WC v Olympics debate

Love them both.

I was glued to the Olympics in the summer but would have been no matter which country had been holding them.

Personally my favourite is the EC in f**tball, I prefer it to the WC and Olympics.

Guest Pistonbroke

Euro 96 was ace. I enjoy all the big sporting events as each one brings something different to the table. Plus let us face it, TV on the whole is a bag of wank unless you like reality Tv and soaps.

Guest Pistonbroke
Two weeks compared to 3 days.

That is one of the biggest advantages to me, having 2-3 weeks of sporting heaven. The Ryder cup is a great sporting event but doesn't come close to the others imo because of the short period it is played over, even though it can be 3 days of sheer nerves and bliss.

Just ONE ticket made available to paying public as Team GB stars win silver during Olympics

The full extent of the ticketing farce at the London Olympics has been exposed by the publication of a full review of the ticketing programme.

The dense 976-page document highlights the gross number of tickets available to the 'Olympic family' compared to the relatively few available to the paying public for the most popular events and sessions.

Extraordinarily, there was a sailing finals day on August 9 - the day Luke Patience and Stuart Bithell won silver in the men's 470 - where 851 tickets went to sponsors and only one single ticket was available to the public.

Furthermore, for Danny Boyle's iconic opening ceremony - one of the most in-demand tickets of the fortnight - only 44 per cent of the tickets were available to the public while 66 per cent went to the Olympic family.

On the day in the velodrome when Sir Chris Hoy, Jason Kenny, Phillip Hindes won the men's sprint final, only 43 per cent of tickets were available to the public.

During Novak Djokovic's opening Olympic match on Centre Court at Wimbledon, 97 per cent of the available seats on court were given to the Olympic family.

Empty seats were one of the few negatives of a successful Olympics, with atmospheres at too many venues dented by swathes of empty seats allocated by the IOC but not taken up by sponsors.

In total 10.99 million tickets were sold out of a total 11.3 million tickets available. 8.21 million of these tickets were Olympic Games tickets and 2.78 million were Paralympic tickets.

A total of £659 million was raised for LOCOG's operating budget to stage the Games. 319,000 tickets (263,000 Olympic and 55,000 Paralympic) were unsold, the majority of these being early rounds for Olympic Football.

76.3 per cent of all Olympic and 91 per cent of all Paralympic tickets were sold through the UK application process against a target of 75 per cent. This amounted to an unprecedented 8.8 million tickets sold.

I would be wary of any analysis that stated that for Danny Boyle's opening ceremony, 44% of tickets were for the public, and 66% for the Olympic Family.

That is one of the biggest advantages to me, having 2-3 weeks of sporting heaven. The Ryder cup is a great sporting event but doesn't come close to the others imo because of the short period it is played over, even though it can be 3 days of sheer nerves and bliss.

Yep.

The EC had the perfect format on loads of f**tball every day for a couple of weeks with a real high standard and no shite making up numbers.

That french prick has managed to fuck up the perfect tournament though.

Those figures are disgraceful in terms of the allocation to the Olympic family and then the failure to pick up that they were surplus to requirement and reallocate them to the public, particularly when it was realised months ahead that demand by the public would far outweigh the supply

Aye-it doesn't say a lot for their accounting ability does it?

A cynical fucker might think they decided to rush the publishing of the report to get it out when the media was concentrating on the cuts to funding of sports, by posting it on their website without holding a presser or informing anyone of it's publication.

Not me though.