You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The '2012 London Olympics' Thread

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The opening ceremony, on Friday 27th (just 14 days!), has something to do with 'Isles of Wonder'. Then on Saturday 28th at 9am, the sport kicks off with Women's Basketball, which will involve some bouncing tithes.

Some of the venues look shit hot.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'm well looking forward to it. The usual, predictable, miserable bunch of bastards on here won't be though.

2 weeks away and I'm all of a shudder. I'm not patriotic, and I'm not even sure I like the idea of patriotism, but this is coming to our land and, well, fuck it, I'm going to enjoy it.

There's some smashing architecture on display.

Here are some pictures.

Horse Guards Parade.

Beach Vollyball, which will have bouncing tities and arses on display.

po01.jpg

The Velodrome

This is where Victoria Pendleton will be wiggling her arse off.

20016_1_1340901986_5166Main_Image_Large.jpg

20016_4_1340901986_131pporting_Image_3.jpg

20016_2_1340901986_8718pporting_Image_1.jpg

Basketball Arena

This is where fine young ladies will be running up and down, boobs-a-bouncin'.

article-2132076-12AB11C3000005DC-637_634x414.jpg

I'll post some more up after tea. The swmming/diving place is ace, as is that copper box thing.

Guest davelfc

I have been stocking up on recordings and have a few DVD box sets to watch while it is on. I've never watched the olympics, a few opening ceremonies sure, but not olympics. They bore me to tears.

I can understand those that get all patriotic or even those who enjoy things like this getting excited, I'm just not. Like wimbledon, another event I avoid and always have.

It's cost a fortune, created lot's of cash for those with thumbs in the pie. Gone well over budget and is something that we could ill afford. Unlike those wishing it would just be over with, I shall be completely oblivious to it all. So I hope those that enjoy this stuff, enjoy it.

Curious to know why you have watched opening ceremonies but not the games themselves...I've always found the opening and closing ceremonies to be bores and have just wanted them out the way for the real events to start. Altohugh having said that I did catch some of the Beijing ceremonies and they were incredible in a shock and awe sort of way...not least knowing that 'Britain' would have to follow that 4 years later.

And tbh I would feel much more comfortable if the games were anywhere else because of all the money spent on them and the bad taste in the mouth over ticketing and such. I can still remember when the announcement was made and wondering how many of those involved in the bid had felt 'oh fuck, now what?' when the realised that they would have the responsibility for organising such a massive event with all the eyes of the world upon you.

But for better or worse its about to happen and I for one will be watching

i only like the athletics side of it.not arsed with gymnastics and stuff.

just the motherfucking sprinting

Do you remember when Michael Johnson was asked to sum up the first week of the Beijing games (before the athletics started)...'I was bored' said in that fabulous lazy drawl of his. Fantastic

I'm pretty apathetic about the Olympics, to be honest, but I am going to watch the football at Old Trafford a week on Sunday. Can't really complain at £20 for two games played back to back; especially when one of the teams playing is Brazil.

Looking forward to it. Should be a decent little day out.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

A few more pictures.

The Aquatics Centre

I think this is the best of the bunch. The diving platforms are made from unpainted concrete, and look spiffing. Hopefully we'll see a few nip-slips as some of the lovely ladies take a tumble.

dezeen_London-Aquatics-Centre-2012-by-Zaha-Hadid_1.jpg

dezeen_London-Aquatics-Centre-2012-by-Zaha-Hadid_2.jpg

dezeen_London-Aquatics-Centre-2012-by-Zaha-Hadid_17.jpg

dezeen_London-Aquatics-Centre-2012-by-Zaha-Hadid_21.jpg

dezeen_London-Aquatics-Centre-2012-by-Zaha-Hadid_6.jpg