You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The '2012 London Olympics' Thread

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Despite all the shite behind the scenes of any Olympics, and all the politics and money wastage, I don't think it can be denied that of the two biggest global sporting events, the Olympics delivers great and memorable moments on a more consistent basis. When a huge sporting event takes place in your own country and your own countrymen do well, it doesn't half give the place a lift - a momentary break from the social and economic problems that dominate the rest of the year. It's not a shame to relive the moments that made it so.

The Olympics was alright like and, as a massive sceptic before it, I did get into that Saturday where we won three golds, but I can't agree with the bit in bold.

A World Cup, in that certain sport, regardless of whether you give a fuck about the England team or not (and I don't), would be an immeasurably better event.

As a social event, and spectacle.

I disagree about the Olympics having more appeal to a broader section of the population.

Maybe its just the people I know, but very few of them really cared about the Olympics. Some of them even lived in London, so took in the bulk of any sense of atmosphere (something that would be much better during a World Cup). This is friends and family, of all ages. Like me, they got into that saturday, but that was probably about it.

Champ, you speak as someone who seemed to really enjoy most events. Which is great, I wish I could enjoy more sports, but I don't think its typical.

I disagree about the Olympics having more appeal to a broader section of the population.

Maybe its just the people I know, but very few of them really cared about the Olympics. Some of them even lived in London, so took in the bulk of any sense of atmosphere (something that would be much better during a World Cup). This is friends and family, of all ages. Like me, they got into that saturday, but that was probably about it.

Champ, you speak as someone who seemed to really enjoy most events. Which is great, I wish I could enjoy more sports, but I don't think its typical.

That's interesting you say that because I was just speaking to my Mum about it today (re SPOTY) and she was saying that when she was in London the other week she picked up on the 'Olympic effect', finding people much more sociable and helpful than she would normally expect.

I'm just a girl, though. It would be interesting to hear what some of the other Olympics' fans with a more comprehensive interest in 'the beautiful game' have to say on the comparison

That's interesting you say that because I was just speaking to my Mum about it today (re SPOTY) and she was saying that when she was in London the other week she picked up on the 'Olympic effect', finding people much more sociable and helpful than she would normally expect.

Well I'm sure its different for different people. One of my mates is a mature (well not overly) student in East London and he's fucking sick of it.

I think I'd prefer a World Cup mainly because the sense of atmosphere would be heightened by far more partisan crowds, and in various cities.

Obviously most British people want Brits to do well at the Olympics, but for me one of the highlights was David Rudisha's 800m run. His look of pure enjoyment, untainted by any of the bullshit that would be found in f**tball.

Its these elements that make the Olympics, in my opinion. Far more so than a desire to move up a place in the medals table. My attitude completely changes when it comes to f**tball, and I don't think I'm alone in this. I'm rambling, but essentially my point is that the World Cup lends its self to a more partisan, carnivalesque atmosphere.

Will be interesting to compare the two events in Brazil over the next few years.

I guess, part of my view on this is created by much preferring team sports to individual ones. I think the difference between the two can have quite a baring on the atmosphere/social element of an event (The Ryder Cup being a good example). You get more of a conversation, more songs etc from, for e.g, A group of Swedish f**tball fans and a group of Italian f**tball fans than you would from supporters of Libania Grenot and Moa Hjelmer (Italian and Swedish female 400m runners).

The Olympics is more about the athletes than the fans (and the athletes are certainly more likeable than the vast majority of f**tballers). The balance is slightly different for a World Cup.

I find that really odd and hard to grasp. I was one of the biggest cynics about the whole thing. The closer it got, I found myself being less interested in it. Don't know if it was just the saturation of it all, but then it was on home soil so I suppose it was only to be expected. I think seeing Beckhams grid all over the place was putting me off more than anything though. Got to admit, once I watched the opening ceremony, I was hooked.

In work, I come into contact with people from all walks of life and age groups every day and I honestly didn't meet a single person who didn't enjoy it all. Somewhere in this thread, there's a post by me about watching the archery at Lords on the TV. Me, watching archery. There's a sentence I never thought I'd right.

Just like on that programme last night when someone talked about watching the dressage....and it wasn't just me on here that was watching either. Whenever would I have watched that normally. That's an extreme example but there was loads of other stuff that I wouldn't normally watch but was glued to

I find that really odd and hard to grasp. I was one of the biggest cynics about the whole thing. The closer it got' date=' I found myself being less interested in it. Don't know if it was just the saturation of it all, but then it was on home soil so I suppose it was only to be expected. I think seeing Beckhams grid all over the place was putting me off more than anything though. Got to admit, once I watched the opening ceremony, I was hooked.

In work, I come into contact with people from all walks of life and age groups every day and I honestly didn't meet a single person who didn't enjoy it all. Somewhere in this thread, there's a post by me about watching the archery at Lords on the TV. Me, watching archery. There's a sentence I never thought I'd right.[/quote']

Maybe I just surround myself with similarly cynical, bah humbug, types.

I quite liked handball, having not watched it before. But I was never going to start watching cycling or rowing just because its the Olympics. I've seen them before, and they're shit.

Most of my mates were like me, just waiting for the f**tball to restart.

My old man was the same. He likes cricket and f**tball, so he watches them. He probably saw even less of the Olympics, and cared even less than I did.

Archery? Fucking Archery?

*Shakes head*

Maybe I just surround myself with similarly cynical, bah humbug, types.

I quite liked handball, having not watched it before. But I was never going to start watching cycling or rowing just because its the Olympics. I've seen them before, and they're shit.

Most of my mates were like me, just waiting for the f**tball to restart.

My old man was the same. He likes cricket and f**tball, so he watches them. He probably saw even less of the Olympics, and cared even less than I did.

Archery? Fucking Archery?

*Shakes head*

I know. I'm a massive cricket fan and I remember only really tuning in to see how Lords was being used. But after watching it for a bit I just got into it. As Cath said, where else would I get the chance to watch archery ? I can honestly say, if there was an archery tournament on in Liverpool, I'd pay money to go and watch.

I also took an interest in the woman's beach volleyball. No idea why though.

I thought some aspects were brilliant,cycling (which does nothing for me) and the Track and Field especially and all the rest was not my taste.

Was it a success in raising spirits of the country,undoubtedly yes? Was it financially worth it? We will have to wait and see to be certain of this as it takes years to add everything up.

Was it actually worth it over all? Not to me but mainly because it was never going to be more than a jazzy show with no intention of taking advantage of the feeling of success and achievement.

Would have been the same if labour was still in power so I'm not just criticising the coalition either.

I have mixed opinions on World cup versus Olympics. I absolutely love both and always have. It rankles when f**tie only bores think there is only 1 sport on the planet and slag off the Olympics. We've had 4 Olympics since I've been on TLW and this is the first one that wasn't roundly dismissed, so it being a home Olympics and a successful one has even had an effect on the cynics as discussed above. Some people don't like that, resenting having fairweathers and Johnny-come-lately's coming and sharing their moment and this is especially the case with f**tie fans in my experience. I think it's brilliant, Sport is about the only thing left that seems to unify the country and give us any sense of national identity whatsoever (barring fans of royalty).

Watching some sport you don't know being competed by countries you've barely heard of and it having a sense of importance only seems to happen in the Olympics and it's great.

Having said all that, the World cup has a lot more importance to me. All the games are fascinating and feel like a bigger deal. If England won, it'd be up there with 2005 & 2001 personally.

Just like on that programme last night when someone talked about watching the dressage....and it wasn't just me on here that was watching either. Whenever would I have watched that normally. That's an extreme example but there was loads of other stuff that I wouldn't normally watch but was glued to

Have you watched it since?

Have you watched it since?

No, I havent and I may not watch it again until the next Olympics, like I hadnt watched dressage since the Beijing games and that was my point, rather than it being something that had aroused my interest through seeing it in the Olympics and as a result taking that interest further. I wasnt claiming to be part of the 'legacy effect;' my enjoyment of the Olympics is unashamedly about being caught up in the moment, not as a purely patriotic spectator but following sports and athletes, British and from anywhere else in the world, who I had previously followed or who catch my attention during the course of the Games

The Olympics were great as far as I'm concerned, got thoroughly caught up in a huge sporting event. The concept of the 'legacy effect' beyond perhaps limited expansion of grass roots sport simply to justify the enormous cost of the event is pretty bogus, the impact even in terms of us taking up or following new sports is very limited.

That's before we consider the financial aspects or the apparent social impact. It's highly unlikely we'll ever see a return financially on the Olympics. I can't say personally I've seen any change socially either.

That doesn't mean it wasn't a completely irrational or wonderful thing to do.

Yep' date=' basketball too. Two sports with obvious growth potential right across the country completely cut adrift because we need to put more money into rowing...[/quote']

Rowing needs more money as those poor chaps at oxford and cambridge don't get enough publicity for their once a year jolly jape along the thames.

Nothing to do with all the connections that former alumni from both unis have in political circles at all,oh no.

Looking forward to seeing all the merseyside schoolkids doing PE lessons on the Mersey or Ship Canal.

They've announced the funding for Handball - Nothing.

Fuck you Olympic cunts.

Yep, basketball too. Two sports with obvious growth potential right across the country completely cut adrift because we need to put more money into rowing...

I havent followed this with my full attention but was it an organisation under the Olympics umbrella responsible for this funding allocation or a government funding body?

Either way, I just dont get these kind of decisions. I have to assume that the return of medals is only part of the allocation criteria because to me the meaning of legacy is far more about getting as many people as possible involved in sport and activity rather than elite sport, although I do believe in the knock on effect of success in elite sport inspiring the masses, cycling being the prime example.

And also I just dont get how you get a sport, assessed to have under-achieved at the games, eg swimming, to do better in the future by cutting their funding. Given the mass participation rates of swimming I would think if the funding body was concerned about how the money had been spent to put the sport under some kind of 'special measures' for a time limited period and to assess the the structure of the organisation and then to review the funding subsequent to that rather than immediately penalising the development of the sport.

And at the other end of the scale, I think, there are sports like handball that proved to be really popular at the Olympics and whose organising bodies were registering a massive surge in interest of people wanting to get involved as a result of the exposure in the Olympics......and its funding is cut or no increase or whatever it was. Where is the logic in that?

I havent followed this with my full attention but was it an organisation under the Olympics umbrella responsible for this funding allocation or a government funding body?

Either way' date=' I just dont get these kind of decisions. I have to assume that the return of medals is only part of the allocation criteria because to me the meaning of legacy is far more about getting as many people as possible involved in sport and activity rather than elite sport, although I do believe in the knock on effect of success in elite sport inspiring the masses, cycling being the prime example.

And also I just dont get how you get a sport, assessed to have under-achieved at the games, eg swimming, to do better in the future by cutting their funding. Given the mass participation rates of swimming I would think if the funding body was concerned about how the money had been spent to put the sport under some kind of 'special measures' for a time limited period and to assess the the structure of the organisation and then to review the funding subsequent to that rather than immediately penalising the development of the sport.

And at the other end of the scale, I think, there are sports like handball that proved to be really popular at the Olympics and whose organising bodies were registering a massive surge in interest of people wanting to get involved as a result of the exposure in the Olympics......and its funding is cut or no increase or whatever it was. Where is the logic in that?[/quote']

There is no intended logic,its all a show,like a big swanky musical.

The games did its job and injected a feelgood factor and therefore a boost to the economy and all the people who organised it. Coe,Blairs Government for backing the bid,the current one for staging it successfully and all those who made it run smoothly.

That was all that was needed for those people and now they are looking to pass on a fine new 80-90k capacity stadium to a f******l club who get 30k a home game.

Its all a travelling carnival that pitches up,puts on a show and moves on to somewhere else while the locals clean up the shit left behind and only memories to live on.

Yep, basketball too. Two sports with obvious growth potential right across the country completely cut adrift because we need to put more money into rowing...

What a brilliant opportunity missed. Handball is a fast paced, exciting game, that hardly anyone in Britain knows anything about. The perfect sport to introduce to kids, absolutely guaranteed to get you fit if you play it enough.

This is exactly the type of fucking legacy that would have had a genuine, practical, positive impact on the country.

Staggering that they've managed to fuck this up. Well, its not really.

The games did its job and injected a feelgood factor and therefore a boost to the economy and all the people who organised it.
Think that feel good factor must have extended into the bedrooms across the country. Has anyone else noticed a surge in women who are up the duff ? I've had six break the news since mid November.