You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

FSG don't want a manager.

They clearly have a vision of a young coach "with new ideas" who will work with the players he is given and leaves everything apart from the day-to-day coaching and matchday selection/ tactics to a team of yet to be employed others. I'd actually question the "matchday selection/ tactics" bit, to be honest.

Now. While we could argue all day long about the merits of such a structure (it will be a disaster, by the way) I have one question:

WHO IN THE NAME OF CHRISTING FUCK WOULD WANT TO DO THAT JOB?

"Yeah, you'll be the coach. Great eh? No, you won't be involved in transfers or anything like that. Just the coaching. Now get those fucking cones onto the pitch and get the fuck out of my office"

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree Dave Whelan needs to shut his massive yap, I am kind of glad that he is trying so hard to retain Martinez, who I don't think is anywhere near ready to make such a step up.

Not only is he a complete cunt, he's also bi polar. When he came on TV last week for his exclusive, he was beaming, positively made up that his manager had got an interview at a big team. Now he's trying to persuade him to stay. For the first time, I wish Dave Whelan every success in his endeavours*

*I reserve the right to call him a complete and utter cunt at any point though, which is what he is.

Guest Pistonbroke

They clearly have a vision of a young coach "with new ideas" who will work with the players he is given and leaves everything apart from the day-to-day coaching and matchday selection/ tactics to a team of yet to be employed others. I'd actually question the "matchday selection/ tactics" bit, to be honest.

Now. While we could argue all day long about the merits of such a structure (it will be a disaster, by the way) I have one question:

"Yeah, you'll be the coach. Great eh? No, you won't be involved in transfers or anything like that. Just the coaching. Now get those fucking cones onto the pitch and get the fuck out of my office"

I'll tell you who would work under those conditions, an average or shit manager who sees such an opportunity as a chance to build/rebuild his career and reap the benefits of others work if it comes off. It's fucking frightening, because if those above him have too much pull then it will upset the dressing room, if those above fuck up then they'll just pass the buck down to said manager and get the next lamb to the slaughter. Might as well advertise the fucking job in the evening gazette.

I'd be fine with that structure if a genuinely respected and competent figure is the senior party. The structure works around the world, it's just that we always go for a bastardised DoF halfway house in Britain.

Where and how does a structure like that work, and why doesn't it work like that in Britain? What manager with any brains or ambition wishes to work in a system where he's in charge of just 'putting the cones out'?

I'd be fine with that structure if a genuinely respected and competent figure is the senior party. The structure works around the world, it's just that we always go for a bastardised DoF halfway house in Britain.

Who is the senior figure at Real Madrid? Do you want to ask Jorge Valdano?

What we're offering is a coaching role. And little or no say about player recruitment or retention. It's not really very attractive if you're a decent manager.

BBC Sport - Roberto Martinez given Liverpool deadline by Wigan

Roberto Martinez given Liverpool deadline by Wigan

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan is planning to set a deadline for Roberto Martinez to decide whether he will stay as boss.

Martinez has been given permission to speak with Liverpool about the vacant managerial position at Anfield.

The Spaniard has also been linked with taking over at Aston Villa, the club he turned down last year.

"Roberto will be in Barbados until next Tuesday, and I will then set a seven-day deadline by which time I will expect a decision," said Whelan.

Martinez's managerial record

Wigan: Jun 2009 - present - won 34, drawn 36, lost 57

Swansea: Feb 2007 - Jun 2009 - won 63, drawn 37, lost 26

"I appreciate everyone is in limbo at the moment and there will come a time soon when we'll need an answer one way or the other.

"It is dragging on a bit but I only care about one thing - that is the future of Wigan Athletic. Nothing else matters.

"It's important we sort this out properly, one way or the other, so we can move forward in preparation for the new season."

Liverpool are yet to formally begin the interview process for their managerial vacancy, created when Kenny Dalglish was sacked on 16 May.

Whelan remains hopeful that Martinez will stay with the Latics, adding in the Wigan Evening Post: "I must stress that I am by no means resigned to losing Roberto to Liverpool or any other club.

"It is not a foregone conclusion. Not at all. Hand on heart, I still believe Roberto will be here next season."

But its the system most of the rest of the world uses. Barcelona have had enormous success with it, and pep hasn't seemed to have minded working under it.

Sky Sources: Martinez to meet Liverpool owners in the next 36 hours

I thought he'd already met them. I don't think anybody has a clue, nobody not one person, I bet Ian Ayres is putting his pomade on whilst talking to himself in the mirror about living in Asia and his wife being Asian. I reckon Henry is doing his if I remain completely still nobody can see me usual act. Martinez has probably never been contacted and is reading the paper to see how close he is and where he will be in the next few days or where he's even been in the last few days. Van gaal is probably bare knuckle fighting black bears somewhere and AVB is probably squatting somewhere wondering how come when he squats he gets shit but when Rafa does it it's because he's a class act and just "gets us".

Get a move on you impotent fucks. The only one thing I've seen from fsg so far is they take forever to make any kind of decision.

I thought he'd already met them. I don't think anybody has a clue, nobody not one person, I bet Ian Ayres is putting his pomade on whilst talking to himself in the mirror about living in Asia and his wife being Asian. I reckon Henry is doing his if I remain completely still nobody can see me usual act. Martinez has probably never been contacted and is reading the paper to see how close he is and where he will be in the next few days or where he's even been in the last few days. Van gaal is probably bare knuckle fighting black bears somewhere and AVB is probably squatting somewhere wondering how come when he squats he gets shit but when Rafa does it it's because he's a class act and just "gets us".

Get a move on you impotent fucks. The only one thing I've seen from fsg so far is they take forever to make any kind of decision.

I'd rather they take the time now and chose wisely, but I don't want them taking all summer and watching whatever transfer targets we might have had, slip away.