You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Martinez gets the job and two European cup winning managers are keen and passed up it seems very strange.

If they overlooked both because they think that they may be trouble, why not reconsider, that erm maybe managers who are worth it, may actually question things.

It's argued that Liverpool are not that far away from competing becasue, on our day, we can beat anyone - cue pointing out scalps from Utd, City, Arsenal and Chelsea games as proof.

Then same persons claim that Martinez is a relegation-battle manager. But wait, haven't Wigan - basically a championship side that have maybe two 'decent' players, and no fans - claimed big scalps too? Just sayin.

If you're going to only consider managers with high win%, who above us in the table would you consider on that basis. I bet none. If a manger already has a high win%, he's already employed at a decent club, and we've missed the boat.

All this of course discounts manager whom are free agents, but I just wanted to make the piont.

If your desire is to talk about football, why on this forum and why not your own? I think that's the crux of it. Barca fans know a lot more about their team than I think Accrington Stanley fans would know about Barca, and vice versa. Why would Barca fans be interested in Accrington Stanley anyway? I think that's what a couple of people are trying to get their heads around. It only seems logical. I don't think its about whether your perspective or perception is right or wrong.

Cos if you watch your team week in week out, and you stand with fans you already know their views. What is there to learn? What's to discuss that hasn't already been said down the pub?

Some fans stick to their own - same old views, same old philosophies. Some fans ask 'what going on at Blackburn then?' or 'How did Rangers get in this mess, and could it happen to elsewhere?'

Either you think football begins and ends with your own club, or you see football as a wider game, and you just happen to support whoever you support.

In my view, what happens at City, Liverpool, United, whoever has an effect on other clubs, and the game in general. Our owners are bringing some good and bad elements to the game, just as yours are, and the decisions they make will affect ALL fans for years to come (just as PL formation and CL has affected us all).

If you want to understand what's happening on the terraces, you stand on the terraces. If you want to know how other clubs are affected by changes in the game, go to other clubs forums. Simple as that.

If Liverpool want to claim worldwide fame and interest in the club (which is true), then they also have to live by that claim and expect interest from all manner of parties. It's the price you pay eh?

It's argued that Liverpool are not that far away from competing becasue, on our day, we can beat anyone - cue pointing out scalps from Utd, City, Arsenal and Chelsea games as proof.

Then same persons claim that Martinez is a relegation-battle manager. But wait, haven't Wigan - basically a championship side that have maybe two 'decent' players, and no fans - claimed big scalps too? Just sayin.

If you're going to only consider managers with high win%, who above us in the table would you consider on that basis. I bet none. If a manger already has a high win%, he's already employed at a decent club, and we've missed the boat.

All this of course discounts manager whom are free agents, but I just wanted to make the piont.

Wigan have also been demolished badly a few times this past season too.

Alot of the papers have pointed to their good run at the end as some sort of evidence hes a genius and completely ignored how terrible they've been at other times.

Thing is, I don't think hes a bad manager, but it has a Hodgson-esque scenario written all over it. A yes man whos going to be favoured because he'll work on a tight budget, lower expectations and just get on with it.

We already tried that and it failed badly.

That's it Roberto do the right thing and snub us. Fuck knows how we will survive without your utter shit management but some how we'll manage.

I especially like the idea that he's going to "finish his Wigan project."

What project is that, exactly? Wigan have precisely one goal at the beginning of every season - not be relegated. What "project" could there be to work on? Getting them into the top half, three years in a row? I can't possibly imagine anyone associated with Wigan wanting more than that.

Can't believe some of the tripe that gets printed in this country.

I especially like the idea that he's going to "finish his Wigan project."

What project is that, exactly? Wigan have precisely one goal at the beginning of every season - not be relegated. What "project" could there be to work on? Getting them into the top half, three years in a row? I can't possibly imagine anyone associated with Wigan wanting more than that.

Can't believe some of the tripe that gets printed in this country.

I bet he's bought into his own publicity over the last few weeks, and thinks he really is getting somewhere, rather than treading water.

His project seems to be taking the season off until march.

Why Roberto Martinez is considering snubbing Liverpool and Aston Villa to finish his Wigan project - James Nursey - Mirror Online

Keep your Wigan! Why Martinez is considering snubbing Liverpool and Villa to finish his Latics project

James Nursey on why the in-demand Spaniard could end up disappointing his many suitors

Roberto Martinez is a man in demand again this summer.

The Wigan boss, 38, enhanced his reputation by masterminding victories over Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal in the run-in.

It ensured the Latics again avoided relegation to secure their top-flight status by coming 15th after seven wins in their final nine Premier League games.

Martinez's feats in keeping Wigan up for three seasons despite their modest crowds, playing budget and salaries is a commendable achievement.

And all the time, the Spaniard has stayed true to his philosophy of passing football.

His work has not gone unnoticed as Liverpool have permission to speak to Martinez about their vacancy to replace Kenny Dalglish.

While Villa, who unsuccessfully courted Martinez a year ago, again fancy him to be their new manager.

And neighbouring West Brom have been trying to woo Martinez as well to replace Roy Hodgson.

I spoke with one of Martinez's close allies this week to discuss his options.

And I was told Roberto is actually seriously considering snubbing all three clubs to stay at Wigan which surprised me somewhat.

As I write, Martinez has not been offered the Liverpool job yet but is considering declining even if they table a contract.

And when my contact explained Martinez's perspective, it did make a lot of sense.

For Martinez believes in Wigan's potential to have a decent season next year and wants to finish his 'project' there.

Martinez is mindful he left Swansea in June 2009 having assembled many of the building blocks which Brendan Rodgers has capitalised on.

Rodgers has since got nearly all of the credit for subsequently taking the Welsh club up to the Premier League playing a slick brand of passing football which Martinez originally introduced at the Liberty Stadium.

Brendan Rodgers: capitalised on Martinez's good work at Swansea

Now Martinez is loathe to again chuck away his time spent building an exciting, young side at Wigan for someone else to take all the credit next season if they do well.

Following their fine finish to this campaign, Martinez believes that with just a couple of shrewd additions, Wigan can be a top ten side next season if they keep their nucleus of young stars such as Victor Moses, James McArthur and James McCarthy.

And he believes, if he gets Wigan to do even better next season, he could perhaps get an even more tempting job offer in 12 months' time from more successful current clubs like Arsenal, Tottenham or Chelsea.

That is what I have been reliably told and I can now see Martinez remaining at Wigan.

Of course, that is not to discount the possibility of Martinez being offered a vast pay-rise to go to Anfield or Villa Park to make him think: s** it!

So he may yet decide to cash in his chips at Wigan and move on with owner Dave Whelan's blessing.

Roberto Martinez: determined to finish Wigan project

But leaving the DW Stadium this summer is definitely not the no-brainer for Martinez that a lot of people must imagine.

Liverpool would expect instant results and progress without a huge budget which is a tough challenge.

While Villa fans continue to demand successful, stylish football despite operating with financial prudence, which Albion also subscribe to.

So even though Martinez is listed among the favourites for all three posts, perhaps the smart money is on him actually staying at Wigan.

Good article, but I suspect it's a bit fanciful.

Whatever the credentials of Martinez, he's no fool. It's the opportunity of a lifetime for him - if indeed it IS a genuine opportunity.

But - it's clear to everyone that he'd be in the same boat as McLeish at Villa - the fans would take some serious persuading and patience running thin already. Only a very assured start to the season, with very little tolerance for any 'unlucky' dips in form would see him survive.

He's done well at Wigan. He can only be judged by results and he's kept them in the top flight during his reign with arguably the most frugal budget, certainly the lowest attendances, and arguably the smallest club mentality of the PL. He did very well at Swansea too. You have to judge by where they stand at the end of an entire season, as with any clubs. Individual games don't tell a full story, 38 games does.

I think it's just about timing for him. If only he'd had a little success with a Villa (with a bit of money) or Newcastle etc - THEN he might be better accepted into Liverpool.

But to follow behind Kenny? Fans generally against him? Trigger happy owners? The looming goal of top 4 finish? - you'd have to question his sanity, or applaud his bravery if he were offered it and said yes.

That article is a load of bollocks from a journalist with little knowledge of the North West scene judging by his previous work.

I notice the little dig that he will wait for a year and improve hoping for a bigger job with Arsenal or Tottenham (because Arsene Wenger and Harry Redknapp are moving are they?)

This is the drivel that we are having to put up with at the moment, and will continue to have until the DoF or Sports or whatever the fucking hell FSG want to call the man, is in place.

Guest davelfc

Dave Whelan: No transfer say for Liverpool manager - ESPN Soccernet

Wigan owner Dave Whelan has warned Roberto Martinez that he will have very little input with regards to Liverpool's transfers dealings if he lands the vacant manager post at Anfield.

Wigan boss Martinez is part of Liverpool's six-man shortlist and Whelan has urged the Spaniard, who will remain in Barbados until Tuesday, to think carefully about relinquishing traditonal managerial powers.

Whelan told ESPN: "My information is that the new Liverpool manager will not be given full responsibility of the football department.

"There will be somebody else signing players, and they might not necessarily be the choice of the manager.

"My advice to Roberto is to think very carefully about this, but Liverpool are a big club and I hope that they remain one of the big clubs.

"But I have to say from what I am hearing the new Liverpool set up on the football side goes well beyond the norm even with a director of football."

Whelan also criticised the Liverpool process of seeking a 'beauty parade' of six managers to head to Boston for interviews with American owners the Fenway Group.

Whelan told ESPN: "Again my understanding is that Liverpool are seeking a final short list of six managers whom they owners would like to interview.

"I am amazed that they think they can do that, it sounds very much an American way of dealing with these issues in sport, but I would wonder how those six managers might feel.

"I spoke with mine only yesterday and he is on a weeks holiday in my home in Barbados. The weather is wonderful. Nothing will happen until he returns, which won't be until next Tuesday, so reports that he is flying off to Boston today to have talks is not right.

"In fact, he is relaxing on a sun lounger the last time I spoke to him yesterday, he had a mentally exhausting season and he needs the rest.

"He has not said anything to me yet, about what he plans to do, but I have told him what I think about it, of course I have. I have told him it doesn't feel right what is happening at Liverpool, but its for him to make his own mind up."

I wish Whelan would shut the f ck up.

Guest Pistonbroke
If Martinez gets the job, it will be solely because of his age,why is that?What is the advantage, it's fucking retarded it should be simply done down to their skills,Trapattoni should get an interview ahead of Martinez

In everyday life employers want a young kid with 10 years worth of experience, if you are over a certain age then employers don't want to know as you are considered as an expensive option. It seems FSG are taking this attitude into their process and it fucking stinks.

Guest davelfc
While I agree Dave Whelan needs to shut his massive yap, I am kind of glad that he is trying so hard to retain Martinez, who I don't think is anywhere near ready to make such a step up.

It's more...

"Oh please don't take him, (how many million?) Oh we don't want him to go.. (yeah bank transfer is fine) "

He's making noises to keep the pie eaters happy but at the same time pushing Martinez to anyone that will take him.