You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea win means 4th place team gets displaced

niallers

Correct me if i'm wrong but isnt it a rule now that only 4 teams from 1 country can enter champ league so if,celestial teapot forbid, the clasless cunts win, that the 4th place team ie probably newcastle, will get "demoted" to the europa lge. Also as champions they'd go straight through to the group stages which would mean arsenal having to pre qualify again. Apart from me not wanting the plastic flag brigade to win, i'd feel really bad for newcastle as they've deserved to be where they are.

This is one of those things that the media made a big deal about but if you actually read what was said nothing has changed.

When it happened with us the rule was that the FA in the country had to decide it. They didn't and decided to try and force UEFA's hand. UEFA bottled it because the FA were putting Everton in knowing that UEFA wouldn't let us not be in it.

If you look at what has been said since it's just exactly the same thing that the FA in the country has to decide.

This is one of those things that the media made a big deal about but if you actually read what was said nothing has changed.

When it happened with us the rule was that the FA in the country had to decide it. They didn't and decided to try and force UEFA's hand. UEFA bottled it because the FA were putting Everton in knowing that UEFA wouldn't let us not be in it.

If you look at what has been said since it's just exactly the same thing that the FA in the country has to decide.

This is correct. However, the year before there was a possible situation arising with Arsenal and Chelsea and the FA released a statement to the effect that in the event of Chelsea or Arsenal winning it, the 4th place team wouldn't get in. This, generally, is the way it's tended to work out (in other countries there are a couple of examples), except for the year we won it.

Yep the FA acted cunts,

"This situation was unusual but neither unprecedented nor unforeseen. Real Zaragoza finished fourth in La Liga in 1999-2000, but went into the UEFA Cup because Real Madrid, who finished fifth, were given Spain's fourth Champions League place as reigning champions.[2] Indeed, the FA itself foresaw the same situation arisinghttp://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1478164,00.html in the Winter of 2004 and released a statement on 10 March 2004 that if Arsenal or Chelsea won the Champions League, but failed to finish in the top four Premier League spots, they would nonetheless be automatically entered in the next year’s competition and the fourth placed Premier League team placed in the UEFA Cup.

Only a year later, the FA changed its mind http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsFromTheFA/Postings/2005/05/TheFA_ChampionsLeagueStatement.htm and decided that the top four finishing teams in the Premier League would be entered into the Champions League regardless of Liverpool’s Champions League triumph. When the inconsistency was pointed out to the FA, the FA pulled the previous year's statement from its web site, and promised a forthcoming explanation. Nothing else was heard from the FA for several months."

So the FA making up rules as they go along.

Best scenario is Bayern playing Chelsea in Munich, with sideshow bob in central defence.

sometimes it just looks as if Chelsea name is on the trophy, which is a horrible thought.

English media will be horrific this summer; CL trophy in London, the Euro's with most probable 'arry in charge, Olympics, Wimbledon & Jubilee. nasty.

If its Chelsea v Real Madrid in the final it will be like the mancs v chelsea in moscow and i probably wont watch it again.

It will also be Mourinho's first Champions League triumph.

*NB This is a reference to Code and San Don who think I didnt know Maureen won the CL with Porto.*

And Inter!

Yep it's an official rule ever since the year after we won it, hence Spurs fans wearing Barcelona shirts that year before they literally shat themselves at West Ham and gave Arsenal the spot anyway.

If it is Chelsea v Real then for me it will be nowt like the Chelsea v Mancs in '08, that one really was unbearable. I don't care whether it's Mourinho or the fact they stole Xabi etc. I'd want Real to smash them without a moments thought. Do have a feeling it'll be Bayern though anyway.

If Newcastle does get 4th spot and Chelsea don't win, Ashley is not going to spend money, he'll be happy to take the extra cash rather than invest in the team, they'd be a lot easier to dislodge than Chelsea or Spurs and besides I love the way "You've got no history" gets under the skin of chelsea fans

IT doesn't matter if Chelsea misses out on CL. They are loaded anyway. It does matter if Spurs and Newcastle miss out.

In a bizarre way it suits us if Chelsea wins.

Sound logic to be fair, and I do remember thinking the same when we dropped out of the running towards the end of Rafa's last season, and it was between Spurs and City. I figured City getting it would have been the lesser of two evils since they were blatantly going to go nuts in the transfer market either way.

That said, to be honest I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference to us at the minute, if we were around 5th/6th I'd agree but right now the only thing that matters is getting our own house in order. If anything Newcastle, a championship team two years ago, show what can be done with a shrewd transfer policy without chucking CL riches, or even EL scraps at it.

Plus I have to admit a part of me would be like "good on ya" if Newcastle made it. Spurs can go fuck themselves with a chainsaw though.

if chelsea/drogba do score first, which is very likely as bayern will be without their two center backs and dm, i think they will win. defensively chelsea are better than real. ribery and robben will have a much harder time against chelsea's defense.

even with luiz starting, chelsea are capable of defending their lead by having 10 men behind the ball. it will probably take something special to break them down if so. maybe something like this.

[YOUTUBE]Qhv2SPVMbZk[/YOUTUBE]

IT doesn't matter if Chelsea misses out on CL. They are loaded anyway. It does matter if Spurs and Newcastle miss out.

In a bizarre way it suits us if Chelsea wins.

I see your point but Spurs or Newcastle will fade away sooner or later while chelsea will always be challenging so long as Abramovich is paying the bills. His priority seems to be Europe so a season or two outside the CL may be enough to see him switch his attention to Formula 1 or something else which gives him a world-wide profile. A small team from Fulhan in the UEFA isn't going to cut it for him.