You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Consider yourself stalked!

I'm Steve Sweeney. Most of my rides are very dull, to and from work mainly.

Use Strava to push myself otherwise I would just dawdle home and not put too much effort in.

And a mystery one.

We're a competitive lot. I see you've got your excuses in before me. You'll notice that I posted that I'd been out this morning....and that was because I'd forgotten to restart the timing after I'd nipped back into the house for my gloves and I didnt want anyone thinking I'd not been out since Tuesday. It's been a bit harder getting out during the school holidays but I'll be putting that right now....I've a 110 miler to do in a fortnight. (I'm going to die)

Fuck riding that far, not sure my bum could take it!

The 16 odd miles I rode last week was my longest so far as my overall fitness has improved a lot since I started cycling again more frequently this year, so hope to keep on improving that.

It seemed like such a good idea at the time. Mr Champ has done so much since then that I've not a hope of keeping up with him. My challenge will be to finish before my phone battery runs out. I definitely want that one on record!

Lance Armstrong 'agrees Sunday Times settlement'

Disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong has agreed a settlement with the Sunday Times, which had sued him for about £1m, the paper has announced.

Armstrong, 41, had been paid £300,000 to settle a libel case in 2004 after the newspaper alleged he had cheated.

After US officials last year found Armstrong had led a "sophisticated" doping programme , the paper demanded the money back plus interest and costs.

The Sunday Times said it had reached a "mutually acceptable final resolution".

Lance Armstrong factfile

Born: Plano, Texas

Tour de France wins: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 (22 individual stage wins) - all subsequently stripped by UCI.

World Championships road race: 1993

Battle with cancer: Diagnosed with testicular cancer in 1996. The disease spreads through his body. Launches Lance Armstrong Foundation for Cancer. Declared cancer-free in 1997 after brain surgery and chemotherapy.

Retirement: Announces he will retire after the 2005 Tour de France, which he wins. Angered by drug allegations against him, Armstrong announces in September 2008 he will return to professional cycling. In June 2010, he reveals via Twitter that year's Tour de France will be his last. On 16 February 2011, Armstrong announces his retirement again.

David Walsh, the chief sports writer of the Sunday Times, first raised questions about Armstrong in 1999, when he won the Tour de France for the first time.

In 2004, the newspaper published an article saying it was right for questions about Armstrong's performance to be both "posed and answered".

The American cyclist's lawyers issued a writ and sought damages from the paper, Mr Walsh and then-deputy sports editor Alan English.

It was later ruled that the meaning of the article was that Armstrong was "a fraud, a cheat and a liar".

The Sunday Times settled that claim in June 2006.

Confidential

Last year, the United States Anti-Doping Agency labelled Armstrong a "serial" cheat who had led "the most sophisticated, professionalised and successful doping programme that sport has ever seen". He was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles .

The cyclist had always denied doping during his career, but finally confessed in an interview with chat show host Oprah Winfrey in January.

In December last year, the Sunday Times wrote to Armstrong's lawyers saying it was now clear that the earlier proceedings brought by the athlete had been "baseless and fraudulent".

"Your representations that you had never taken performance-enhancing drugs were deliberately false," the letter added.

In the latest edition of the Sunday Times, the newspaper announced that it, Mr Walsh and Mr English, had "reached a mutually acceptable final resolution to all claims against Lance Armstrong related to the 2012 High Court proceedings".

The paper said it was "entirely happy with the agreed settlement, the terms of which remain confidential.

Back

It's a recurring thing that originally happened in my rugby days.

I generally go and see an osteopath who sorts it out after 3 or 4 sessions. He says it's related to my left glute which somehow fucks up my lower back.

I had to give up the rugby because of it and i'd be a bit pissed off if it stops me cycling as well

Back

It's a recurring thing that originally happened in my rugby days.

I generally go and see an osteopath who sorts it out after 3 or 4 sessions. He says it's related to my left glute which somehow fucks up my lower back.

I had to give up the rugby because of it and i'd be a bit pissed off if it stops me cycling as well

Have you had a full bike fitting to make sure you're riding in the optimum position for your your back?

No

Good idea...i'll give it a go when i can walk

My bike's pretty shit but take it to the local bike shop and ask for a fitting presumably?

I dont know if you've got cycling mates...it would be worth asking around for recommendations in your local area. Given the longstanding nature of your back problem a fitting by a sports physio might be worth thinking about

I dont know if you've got cycling mates...it would be worth asking around for recommendations in your local area. Given the longstanding nature of your back problem a fitting by a sports physio might be worth thinking about

I don't know if you can get hold of a copy of last week's Cycling Weekly; there's an extended feature on bike fitting in there

Finally got my bike back after having it fixed following the taxi incident (haven't managed to get the taxi driver to pay for it yet though), so decided to upgrade to clipless pedals/shoes. Got home on my first ride with no problems whatsoever. Made it almost all the way into work today and was congratulating myself on having it sussed. Final set of traffic lights, couldn't get my foot out, slow topple over. Most embarrassing.

That happened to me recently. For some reason my clips are sometimes difficult to release. I was on my bike in town, approaching a set of traffic lights on a slight uphill. Knowing that they can sometimes be sticky I tried to release them some way out. As hard as I tried nothing happened, at which point the lights went red. As I approached the lights I knew I wasnt going to be able to get out in time. I looked towards the pavement and caught sight of a man standing for the lights. I shouted to him to catch me but I think he was so surprised by my request that he just stood there looking at me and as I called again I did that slow, collapse of indignity.

Cycling has done for my elbows

I bought a road bike a few weeks ago and have to say Im enjoying it massively.

Running hurts me, pedaling hurts in a different way - and I don't have to keep stopping.

Recently caught onto this Strava thing as well which seems to give me an extra push,

Must say its been a pleasant way to get some exercise and have lost quite a few pounds.

I bought a road bike a few weeks ago and have to say Im enjoying it massively.

Running hurts me' date=' pedaling hurts in a different way - and I don't have to keep stopping.

Recently caught onto this Strava thing as well which seems to give me an extra push,

Must say its been a pleasant way to get some exercise and have lost quite a few pounds.[/quote']

Are you my mystery follower?

Had a really good ride around a hilly loop in East Lothian yesterday but, boy, is my right shoulder giving me some gyp (sp?) today, presumably from riding out of my saddle on the stiff climbs.

What is the best way of maximising my power, with least damage to my shoulder (the one I broke last year) over these sections?

I felt it for a couple of days and then the discomfort disappeared. I went out a did a similar route earlier this week, with several stiff climbs, and no reaction. Happy with that

Use Strava to push myself otherwise I would just dawdle home and not put too much effort in.

This measuring your effort can work both ways. I was using a Garmin GPS on my handlebars this week and as I watched the speed dip and dip my brain said, 'fuck it, I can walk faster than this' and my legs just stopped. I ended up pushing the bike the last few metres to the top of the climb. My name is Champ and I'm a wimp.

Having said that I wouldnt be without Strava and get annoyed if I forget to turn it on and the ride isnt recorded. Its almost like I havent done it.

The only downside I have found is that it can take ages to pick up a signal before I set off