You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Made it through anyways. 7 hours 2 minutes cycling time.

Happy to have made it through. Longest before today was 100k. Kept fuelled up and was surprisingly fresh at the end. Will probably hit the wall in half an hour.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Made it through anyways. 7 hours 2 minutes cycling time.

Happy to have made it through. Longest before today was 100k. Kept fuelled up and was surprisingly fresh at the end. Will probably hit the wall in half an hour.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Never mind you've done it now. Well done!

What were the conditions like?

Pretty much perfect, thanks for asking.

It was actually fairly cloudy for most of the day (who'd have thought the met office would get things wrong?!) and the sun broke through with around an hour. Twas fair warm when it came out though, so we're happy it wasn't out all day.

Went inland yesterday. The roads were almost deserted. The scenery was spectacular. Fao L19 the ride included some stiff climbing...800m. Having just gone round the same route in the car I'm impresses

I've taken up cycling (did nasty things to my knee joint last summer so can't do any more long distance walking). Mrs Mars and I are up to 50 milers and by the summer's end I hope to have that up to a painless 80. I have a Specialized Sirrus Elite hybrid but am thinking of getting a light tourer as we are doing the coast and castle cycle route from Newcastle to Edinburgh and some of that might not be friendly to a loaded bike that has carbon forks.

I am considering this All-City Cycles Space Horse!!! - I am intrigued by something called a Space Horse. Anyone on here have experience of light touring? Any other recommendations?

Here's a picture from our ride on Wednesday morning. Another 45k and 750m climbing. Not the most flattering but you get the idea of the stunning landscape

I would absolutely recommend taking a bike on holiday.....a decent cycle and that's your overindulgence for the day 'paid for'. I reckon I've also conquered my anxiety about climbing

20130710_074639_zps1fc96e61.jpg

Here's a picture from our ride on Wednesday morning. Another 45k and 750m climbing. Not the most flattering but you get the idea of the stunning landscape

I would absolutely recommend taking a bike on holiday.....a decent cycle and that's your overindulgence for the day 'paid for'. I reckon I've also conquered my anxiety about climbing

You look so cute in all your gear Cath, no wonder you dont get hostile on here you just dont look mean enough.

You look so cute in all your gear Cath, no wonder you dont get hostile on here you just dont look mean enough.

Cute? Didn't you mean to say toned athlete?

However, it has always been a great disappointments to me that I can't do that 'if looks could kill' thing. Never mind...

Ah, well, the sun's still shining and I'm getting out for a quick turn to see whether all that hill climbing has made an difference

I would absolutely recommend taking a bike on holiday.....a decent cycle and that's your overindulgence for the day 'paid for'. I reckon I've also conquered my anxiety about climbing.

What I didnt say was that they managed to lose Mr Champ's bike bag on the way home but fortunately it was located yesterday....it never made it beyond the X ray machine at the airport....and should be returned some time next week. The bike could have been replaced but I'm glad his GPS and all his recorded rides will now get back home

I highly recommend the Vercors region of France. The most amazing roads through gorges and carved into cliff faces. Not as high as the neighbouring alps but still 1200m of ascent in a 60k ride.

Because of the landscape or their condition and amount of other traffic?

Where did you start your 'abroad' cycling? My head has been turned by the guaranteed sunshine and heat

Because of the landscape or their condition and amount of other traffic?

Where did you start your 'abroad' cycling? My head has been turned by the guaranteed sunshine and heat

All of the above.

Started in the dordogne the headed across the bottom of france via the pyrenees and mont ventoux in provence. Then into italy and now heading back through france. Alpe d'huez on Thursday.

What's a decent average speed for riding a hybrid? I've just started cycling and have down 18 miles on the road with an average of 12.5mph

Hard to say just from those numbers. It depends on the wind, the amount of uphill, the condition of the road surface, the number of junctions.

All of the above.

Started in the dordogne the headed across the bottom of france via the pyrenees and mont ventoux in provence. Then into italy and now heading back through france. Alpe d'huez on Thursday.

The above is this trip alone, isn't it?

I was meaning how did you get started in the first place?

I fucking hate all you bastard cyclists on the road in your spandex shorts stopping all the traffic everywhere you go.

As for the fuckers that think they can jump red lights well i hope they get toasted.

Im sick of you lot every time i get on a country road one of you fuckers is 8 feet out in the road making it almost impossible to get past you. Get back in the gutter with the pot holes

I fucking hate all you bastard cyclists on the road in your spandex shorts stopping all the traffic everywhere you go.

As for the fuckers that think they can jump red lights well i hope they get toasted.

Im sick of you lot every time i get on a country road one of you fuckers is 8 feet out in the road making it almost impossible to get past you. Get back in the gutter with the pot holes

Ever driven above the speed limit? ever looked at your phone while you were driving? Of course you have, your life if clearly so important that you can't be delayed for even a few seconds can you. Wanker.

Silly bit of half-arsed trolling, that. Negged, obviously. That's the way he wants it. Well - he gets it.

[YOUTUBE]1fuDDqU6n4o[/YOUTUBE]

We took advantage of the good weather on Saturday and took the bikes to South Ayrshire to do one of Dave Barter's Classic British Rides. 121km and 1349m of ascent over some beautiful and varied countryside, although, as I said in my Places you will not be visiting again thread, there was a serious lack of decent stopping off places for re-fuelling along the way which may explain the difficulties I ran into at the top of the last proper ascent with horrible pain in my right leg but after a bit of a rest and a stretch out I was ok and finished the ride in decent shape.

Couldnt resist the photo opportunity 20130720_125545_zpsc15dc349.jpg

peanut butter sandwiches.

full of energy and doesnt cost a packet like all the mass produced energy bars

Thanks for your reply.

Due to a shortage of shops/cafes on the route I ended up getting round on fizzy drinks, a fruit slice and a bag of peanuts. Its not really the food of athletes, is it?

And what about eating before you set off?