You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

True that and it also annoys the shit out of me when I think I have pressed record and when I finish, thinking to myself that I must have done some pb's, realise that it hasn't recorded, grrr.

I've also switched over to km's as it looks and sounds better but the hills don't look as impressive in metres as they do in feet.

Well, next Sunday is my first sportive, 110 miles from Glasgow to Edinburgh. I had become quite anxious about this, having gate-crashed into Mr Champ's team of tough cycling men but lo and behold he comes home with the news that they've all crapped out of it. I might live to tell the tale after all. Lightweights

Well, next Sunday is my first sportive, 110 miles from Glasgow to Edinburgh. I had become quite anxious about this, having gate-crashed into Mr Champ's team of tough cycling men but lo and behold he comes home with the news that they've all crapped out of it. I might live to tell the tale after all. Lightweights

Take painkillers, good luck.

A Texas judge is pushing Lance Armstrong closer to his first sworn testimony on details of his performance-enhancing drug use, ordering the cyclist to answer questions about who knew what and when about his doping, including possibly his ex-wife and his attorneys.

Nebraska-based Acceptance Insurance Holding is seeking the information in its lawsuit to recover $3 million US in bonuses it paid Armstrong from 1999 to 2001. A judge previously refused to dismiss the case.

Acceptance is trying to prove a yearslong conspiracy and coverup by Armstrong to commit fraud. It wants to know when several of Armstrong's personal and business associates, including ex-wife Kristin Armstrong, team officials, the cyclist's lawyers and International Cycling Union President Pat McQuaid, first learned of his doping.

Armstrong's attorneys objected to those demands in court documents, arguing the former cyclist already has acknowledged cheating and that Acceptance is engaged in a "harassing, malicious … fishing expedition" intended to "make a spectacle of Armstrong's doping."

Travis County District Judge Tim Sulak last week ordered Armstrong to provide documents and written answers to a series of questions by the end of September. The case has been set for trial in April 2014.

The questions seek information dating to 1995 and ask Armstrong to detail who was paid for delivered performance-enhancing drugs, who determined what amount to use and administered them, and who was aware of his drug use. Acceptance specifically asks for information on when and how Armstrong's closest friends, advisers, ex-wife and business partners learned of his doping.

After more than a decade of denials, Armstrong told Oprah Winfrey in a January interview that he doped to win the Tour de France seven times, titles that have now been stripped away. But the admission lacked details and he has refused to provide sworn testimony to a the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, even when it was presented as his only chance to lift his lifetime ban from sport.

Mark Kincaid, an attorney for Acceptance, declined to comment Tuesday, but previously said he would push to depose Armstrong under oath. Armstrong attorney Tim Herman did not respond to a request for comment.

Armstrong's lawyers said information about ex-wife Kristin Armstrong and the attorneys is exempt from disclosure under spouse and attorney-client privilege. Acceptance argues there are no protections for spouses and lawyers who may be aware of fraud.

The judge ordered Armstrong to answer the questions. He can claim spouse or attorney-client privilege, but if he does, Acceptance would be allowed to challenge whether the information should be withheld and ask the judge to decide.

The USADA report on Armstrong included witness statements from at least three former teammates who said Kristin Armstrong participated in or at least knew about doping on the teams and knew team code names for the blood-booster EPO kept in her refrigerator. Postal rider Jonathan Vaughters testified that she handed riders cortisone pills wrapped in foil.

Acceptance also wants Armstrong to reveal any payments made to cover up doping.

The insurer's list of names includes McQuaid, who is fighting to keep his job as head of cycling's international governing body. McQuaid and predecessor Hein Verbruggen have been accused of ignoring the doping culture in the sport and accepting money from Armstrong in exchange for turning a blind eye to his team's doping practices. Both have denied any wrongdoing, and McQuaid has said he was "fooled" by Armstrong.

The Acceptance lawsuit is just one of several pending against Armstrong.

Federal prosecutors have joined a whistle-blower lawsuit that seeks to recover more than $30 million US in sponsorship money paid to Armstrong by the U.S. Postal Service. SCA Promotions, a Dallas-based insurance company, has sued for $12 million US it paid him in performance bonuses.

And in California, a federal judge is considering a class-action lawsuit against Armstrong by readers of his book, It's Not About the Bike, that claims fraud and false advertising.

Armstrong recently settled with the British newspaper The Sunday Times, which sued him to recover damages from a previous libel case.

Lance Armstrong ordered to testify about doping

Are you dead yet Champ?!

Hope the weather held out for you.

On the mend now. I blew up just before 90k and ended up finishing the rest in the broom wagon. I've done more but it wasn't happening today. Bloody cold and windy but at least it didn't rain.

It was a really well organised ride though

On the mend now. I blew up just before 90k and ended up finishing the rest in the broom wagon. I've done more but it wasn't happening today. Bloody cold and windy but at least it didn't rain.

It was a really well organised ride though

I had originally intended to do some fundraising for this but the sponsors were not encouraging this beyond their own chosen charity. What's the etiquette for paying up to someone who didnt actually complete the sponsored event, huh?

Next time....

Was there a Pro Cycling thread or did I imagine it? Sadly, the Google search no longer works.

I'm just watching the first stage of the Tour of Britain, Peebles to Drumlanrig. I was out that way yesterday with Mr C who was doing a sportive and it was T shirt weather. What a difference a day makes

Did 160k yesterday and spent the evening in a&e with an asthma attack!

Felt it coming on after 10k, lost my inhaler on a fast descent, but motored on anyway. Fuck you 15% gradient!

And they say all this exercise is good for us!

• 2 weeks later...

Cyclist killer Gary McCourt: Crown loses appeal against 'lenient' sentence

_70113943_mccourt_arrivals_gv.jpg

Prosecutors had thought Gary McCourt's sentence was "too lenient"

The Crown Office has lost its appeal against the sentencing of a man whose driving has caused the deaths of two cyclists.

Gary McCourt was banned from driving for five years and ordered to carry out 300 hours of community service after being convicted over the second death.

Prosecutors said his sentence for causing the death of Audrey Fyfe, 75, in Edinburgh in 2011 was too lenient.

However, the appeal was rejected by appeal court judges in Edinburgh.

Mrs Fyfe's daughter, Aileen Brown, later said she was "lost for words" at the decision.

On sentencing, the sheriff had said that Mrs Fyfe's failure to wear a helmet may have contributed to her death.

However, appeal court judges considered the sheriff was wrong to "regard this as a matter of judicial knowledge".

'Delicate and detailed'

In a written opinion, Lord Menzies said: "However, in all the circumstances, we cannot disagree with the sheriff's categorisation of this as a momentary inattention, the result of which was a low impact, low speed collision with Mrs Fyfe's cycle.

"Despite the sheriff's error in treating the fact that Mrs Fyfe was not wearing a cycle helmet as a mitigatory factor, we are unable to say that the sentence of a community payback order with the maximum number of unpaid hours was unduly lenient.

"The court stated that it is perhaps easy to take a superficial view that by his bad driving the respondent has caused the death of two people in two road accidents over 27 years and that this required to be marked with a sentence of imprisonment.

"However, the sheriff has carried out the delicate and detailed sentencing exercise with considerable care and has given full reasons for the conclusion which he reached.

"The court must give weight to his views, particularly given that this is a case which has gone to trial and the sheriff has had the advantage of seeing and hearing all the evidence."

Addressing the length of McCourt's driving ban, the judges said: "Notwithstanding the previous conviction in 1986, we are unable to agree with the Solicitor General's submission that this is inadequate to provide sufficient protection to the public.

"For these reasons this appeal must be refused."

_70109613_audreycycling.jpgAudrey Fyfe died two days after the collision on 11 August, 2011

McCourt, 49, had previously been jailed for causing another cyclist's death by reckless driving in 1985.

Edinburgh man George Dalgity, 22, was killed while cycling along the city's Regent Road.

In April, a jury at Edinburgh Sheriff Court found McCourt guilty of causing Mrs Fyfe's death by careless driving.

The trial heard that McCourt told police he "clipped" Mrs Fyfe's back wheel at a junction.

The cyclist died two days after the collision, which took place between Portobello Road and Craigentinny Avenue on 11 August 2011.

Prosecutors had argued that McCourt should have been jailed and banned from driving for life for the offence.

Speaking after the appeal court judgement, Aileen Brown said: "I am lost for words.

"There was a unanimous vote in parliament earlier this month to strengthen the enforcement of road traffic law, to ensure driving offences - especially those resulting in death or injury - are treated sufficiently seriously by police, prosecutors and judges.

"The police here did an admirable job for us but the Scottish justice system appears to have had complete disregard for government policy.

"Scotland led the way in the smoking ban and minimum pricing on alcohol. The decision to allow Gary McCourt and drivers like him to drive again suggests that the judiciary are frightened to grasp the nettle and make decisions which would make our country a safer place to live."

Donald Urquhart, secretary of cycling charity CTC Scotland, said it was "neither right nor acceptable" that McCourt could be allowed to drive again in the future.

He said: "Someone who has now killed two vulnerable road users with a motor vehicle will be allowed to resume driving in a relatively short time, whilst the families and friends of those killed have been permanently affected by his criminal conduct."

Briton Brian Cookson has been elected president of the International Cycling Union (UCI), beating incumbent Pat McQuaid in a vote on Friday.

After a campaign dominated by acrimony between the two candidates, Cookson, 61, defeated Irishman McQuaid by 24 votes to 18 in Florence, Italy.

McQuaid, 64, was seeking a third term in the role he had held since 2005.

Cookson has been in charge of British Cycling since 1997, presiding over the turn-around of the sport in Britain.

He will step down from that role to take up his new position.

"It is a huge honour to have been elected president of the UCI by my peers and I would like to thank them for the trust they have placed in me today," said Cookson.

"My first priorities as president will be to make anti-doping procedures in cycling fully independent, sit together with key stakeholders in the sport and work with Wada [World Anti-Doping Authority] to ensure a swift investigation into cycling's doping culture.

"It is by doing these things that we will build a firm platform to restore the reputation of our international federation with sponsors, broadcasters, funding partners, host cities and the International Olympic Committee.

"Ultimately, this is how we grow our sport worldwide and get more riders and fans drawn into cycling."

McQuaid said: "That's life, that's the way it goes. Congress has decided.

"They've elected a new president so good luck to the new president, good luck to the new management committee. I'm looking forward to a good holiday, which I badly need."

Under Cookson's leadership, Great Britain won 19 Olympic gold medals and 28 Paralympic golds.

He also oversaw Britain's first win in the Tour de France, Sir Bradley Wiggins tasting success in the 2012 race, followed by Chris Froome a year later.

Cookson served as UCI international commissaire for 23 years between 1986 and 2009, helping to organise, co-ordinate and officiate international cycling races.

"The decision taken today by the UCI represents a turning point for the sport of cycling, and we congratulate Brian Cookson on his election," said British Olympic Association chairman Lord Coe.

"It was with vision, determination and a genuine commitment to work in partnership that Brian was able to lead the transformation of British Cycling, and I am confident he will do the same for the UCI."

Cookson had previously backed McQuaid's re-election campaign, but criticised the Irishman for his handling of the Lance Armstrong doping affair, with Armstrong himself calling McQuaid "pathetic". (external)

Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and given a lifetime ban by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (Usada) in August last year after admitting that he had used performance-enhancing drugs.

Usada welcomed Cookson's election, saying in a statement: "The outcome of the UCI election sends a powerful message that sport leaders who fail to fully protect the rights of clean athletes and the integrity of their sport will be held accountable.

"The UCI tried to obstruct our investigation into doping in cycling at every turn, and then after the release of our reasoned decision the previous leadership failed to take necessary and decisive action to fully clean up the sport.

"The election of a new UCI President who is committed to transparency and a new direction, is a monumental moment for the sport and demonstrates that when clean athletes stand up for their rights they will be heard."

McQuaid was originally nominated for another term as UCI president by Cycling Ireland, only for the Irish body to then reconsider its decision at an extraordinary general meeting in Dublin.

Switzerland, where he lives, also withdrew support, but he was ultimately allowed to run for re-election with nominations from Thailand and Morocco.

However, there was a long debate over McQuaid's eligibility before the election with numerous delegates speaking from the floor after a series of lawyers addressed the case.

Discussions were finally ended, though, when Cookson got up to urge the 42 UCI delegates to press ahead and cast their votes.

"I think it was a good thing to do," said McQuaid. "We gave an election and we got a result."

Sky are about to get a rider popped for doping. Dont get too excited, its only Jonathon Tiernan-Locke. UCI have written to him over suspect blood profile. You would think Brailsford would be a bit more carefull when hiring people, what with him repeatedly boasting about how Sky would have nothing to do with doping an all.