You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thanks for your reply.

Due to a shortage of shops/cafes on the route I ended up getting round on fizzy drinks' date=' a fruit slice and a bag of peanuts. Its not really the food of athletes, is it?

And what about eating before you set off?[/quote']

Porridge about an hour before you leave, with honey and peanut butter or just maple syrup. Not too much though, otherwise the milk repeats on you during the cycle.

Porridge about an hour before you leave, with honey and peanut butter or just maple syrup. Not too much though, otherwise the milk repeats on you during the cycle.

Which is exactly what Mr Champ had...without the peanut butter. I like porridge but I just find it 'heavy' when I first eat it and then an hour later my stomach's rumbling. I kind of hoped someone would come up with an alternative.

I have read that flapjacks are handy for long rides.

We looked for flapjack at our first stop but it was just sold in large packs and we had nowhere to store it.

If I knew what I suffered from that would help me make any useful changes...I'm still leaning towards my dehydration/salt depletion theory

Which is exactly what Mr Champ had...without the peanut butter. I like porridge but I just find it 'heavy' when I first eat it and then an hour later my stomach's rumbling. I kind of hoped someone would come up with an alternative.

We looked for flapjack at our first stop but it was just sold in large packs and we had nowhere to store it.

If I knew what I suffered from that would help me make any useful changes...I'm still leaning towards my dehydration/salt depletion theory

Make the flapjacks yourself, even I can make flapjacks.

No time like the present. I'm on the case!

Schoolgirl error; always check you've got all the ingredients before you start baking. I had to substitute some of the demerara sugar for soft brown and just use ordinary porridge oats instead of an ordinary and jumbo combo. I'm just letting it cool just now but I reckon it looks all right. How it does as cycling fuel, we'll have to see

It'll either be excellent cycling fuel or an extreme laxative!

Was supposed to do 100k charity cycle today but was puking my ring up all day yesterday so absolutely drained today. Weather not great either, so kinda happy in a way.

It's amazing how over the last 12 months, including hibernation for winter, I've earned my cycling legs. 100k seemed ridiculous when I started, but its not in the least bit intimidating now.

It's amazing how over the last 12 months' date=' including hibernation for winter, I've earned my cycling legs. 100k seemed ridiculous when I started, but its not in the least bit intimidating now.[/quote']

Before I started cycling I used to be in awe of a friend who cycled out to the Forth Road Bridge (about 30k) round trip, if that. That now feels like a turn around the block and equally hills that I used to dread I now barely notice or challenge myself over my times or gearing.

I'm making myself feel sick

Flapjack is good but you need to stop to eat it. nutrigrain bars are a decent source of fuel and much easier to digest while riding.

Slow release food is ideal for a long day in the saddle, but having said that I was going round France on coffee and croissants so as long as you are eating plenty you'll be ok for single day rides but need to think more about protein for afterwards if doing consecutive days.

Carb powder in your bidons as well for very long rides.

Edited by L19red

Thought I was all sophisticated 2nd guessing the weather with my met office app. Went out at mid day got just over a mile into it and the heavens opened and got piss wet through. Got to Parbold and back but missed the hill out so pretty flat and a decent ride when the sun finally appeared!

Thought I was all sophisticated 2nd guessing the weather with my met office app. Went out at mid day got just over a mile into it and the heavens opened and got piss wet through. Got to Parbold and back but missed the hill out so pretty flat and a decent ride when the sun finally appeared!

That sounds all right to me; wet first, dry later

2miles? 20miles?

Shithouse. Ride the hill next time.

I just drop into have a blimp at this thread and Champ throws another one in the mix (wahey) euphemism of course.

I will once again resist the urge to comment on it and take the higher ground.

Its your bad mind...I do not do it deliberately and in fact proof read my posts for double entendre but sometimes I just think, fuck it, I'm going it say it anyway!

Its your bad mind...I do not do it deliberately and in fact proof read my posts for double entendre but sometimes I just think' date=' fuck it, I'm going it say it anyway![/quote']

Being a woman on a forum full of fellas should put you on high alert.

Mind you you'd never post if you checked every post.

Being a woman on a forum full of fellas should put you on high alert.

Mind you you'd never post if you checked every post.

A particularly testosterone driven bunch of fellas? Or is this what all men talk about when women arent there?

Alness to Bonar Bridge then on to Crask for a pint and back. If there is a better road in Britain I have yet to ride it, beautiful and most important virtually empty. The view of the Kyle of Sutherland from Struie Hill is wonderful.

I did it on the end to end a few years ago and although the A82 is more spectacular its also much busier. Sutherland is ace.

P1010912s.jpg

NB. I reserve the right to change my mind when I head over to the west coast.