You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I should take ownership of a dolan hercules SL tomorrow on bike to work - havent been on a road bike since my paper round and im 38. Looking forward to looking like a twat

What groupset did you go for? Dolan make very good bikes btw. If you are in Sheffield then I expect to see you going up winnats pass on it soon.

Alas - ive just moved back to the NW mate - Im in Ormskirk now. I got the bike coz its flatter over here - loads of my mates were lycra legends in Sheffield and Im struglling to get a game of footy and squash over here. I just got the SRAM bottom one - Apex is it? Upgraded to Aksiums on recommendation...dunno if its worth it but it will still be a decent set up. Looking for cycling buddies - reckon after a few months my saddle pains may dwindle. Cost me 1170 in total on bike to work - reckon after 3 years it will still be worth most of what i pay for it (700 ish presumably) in the year so wont lose much and hey - its only the cost of a really expensive gym membership for a year - Could do with a turbo for when the weather is shite - any recommendations ?

The bikes now not ready until tomoz - and its my birthday today - timing sucks :)#

For anyone else looking in the bike to work price range..its worth noting that the hercules SL is only 999 if you call the show room (because of the lack of Mythos frames) - its says 1200 on the website. 50 quid admin fee and 120 to upgrade the wheels from omegas (?) to the mavics. Good deal methinks

Parbold hill then. Very tough going past the church.

Turbo trainers are all much of a muchness, sufferfest.com has some good training routines for indoors.

Head to the cafe at rufford wharf and you'll meet loads of riders. You might even see wiggins there as he lives in Croston.

Edited by L19red

Alas - ive just moved back to the NW mate - Im in Ormskirk now. I got the bike coz its flatter over here - loads of my mates were lycra legends in Sheffield and Im struglling to get a game of footy and squash over here. I just got the SRAM bottom one - Apex is it? Upgraded to Aksiums on recommendation...dunno if its worth it but it will still be a decent set up. Looking for cycling buddies - reckon after a few months my saddle pains may dwindle. Cost me 1170 in total on bike to work - reckon after 3 years it will still be worth most of what i pay for it (700 ish presumably) in the year so wont lose much and hey - its only the cost of a really expensive gym membership for a year - Could do with a turbo for when the weather is shite - any recommendations ?

It certainly is. What are your plans for the bike? A few months of saddle pains. My arse! Build it up, gradually increasing the mileage, assuming the bike fits you ok you, and after a few rides you shouldnt notice it

That its flatter. In fact, the whole area. I follow Jennings on here (strava) and while he does some good distances they rarely involve more than a few metres of ascent. Its not exactly mountainous where I am but I can't avoid a bit of climbing, which I dreaded when I first started but, as I said, a bit of fitness doesn't have help smooth out those hills

Just want to pootle round the roads to start with and then one day I want to cycle over to Sheffield. Pipe dream for now :D

Ps what were you agreeing with..it being flatter over here?

Youll surprise yourself how quickly it is possible to do 80 miles.

Eating within 30min of finishing a ride is recommended....but if part of your reason for cycling is maintaining/losing weight you have to be sure you arent taking in more calories than expended in your ride.

Clampons? Do you mean crampons....or is it something else that's passed me by

Eating within 30min of finishing a ride is recommended....but if part of your reason for cycling is maintaining/losing weight you have to be sure you arent taking in more calories than expended in your ride.

Clampons? Do you mean crampons....or is it something else that's passed me by

Carbs before (and during on longer rides) for energy and protein after you ride for muscle repair.

Im not trying to be pedantic(well maybe a bit) but i enjoy the stuff about people on here and their biking adventures,holidays,new bikes,rides etc, but dont care much for the stuff about races and professional drug cheats,err I mean professional cyclists.

Could we split this thread into all things recreational and a separate one for all the professional stuff please?

Im not trying to be pedantic(well maybe a bit) but i enjoy the stuff about people on here and their biking adventures,holidays,new bikes,rides etc, but dont care much for the stuff about races and professional drug cheats,err I mean professional cyclists.

Could we split this thread into all things recreational and a separate one for all the professional stuff please?

I'd vote for that. How about anyone else?

And can I make a request to resurrect Jennings' suggestion for people to post pictures of places they get to on their rides?

Only really started riding to save a little bit of cash, get a bit fitter and lose a bit of weight, but in the in the last couple of months have really been itching to do more distance that the usual 7 mile round trip to work and back.

Went on a 20km ride on Wednesday (sounds so much better than 12 miles!) and clocked a healthy average speed of just over 15 mph.

Given that that the first half is virtually all up hill, was quite pleased with myself but the old thighs were a bit sore in the afternoon. (Bike Ride Profile | Morning Ride near Warlingham | Times and Records | Strava)

Problem now is trying to find time between work and family to get out more. Doesn't help that I am very much a fair weather rider and if it's raining, will sack it off and drive!

Only really started riding to save a little bit of cash, get a bit fitter and lose a bit of weight, but in the in the last couple of months have really been itching to do more distance that the usual 7 mile round trip to work and back.

Went on a 20km ride on Wednesday (sounds so much better than 12 miles!) and clocked a healthy average speed of just over 15 mph.

Given that that the first half is virtually all up hill, was quite pleased with myself but the old thighs were a bit sore in the afternoon. (Bike Ride Profile | Morning Ride near Warlingham | Times and Records | Strava)

Problem now is trying to find time between work and family to get out more. Doesn't help that I am very much a fair weather rider and if it's raining, will sack it off and drive!

Errm, how come your stats show you used 700 calories on that ride when I dont make 300 for a similar distance?

And the fairweather thing....I was just thinking about that this morning. I've been spoiled the last few weeks getting out in warm dry conditions, suddenly a bit of rain and I'm not interested. When I think what I rode in over the winter.....

Dunno.

Have you put your weight into Strava along with your weight of your bike? That's the only way I can think it's working it out. Are your rides mainly on the flat?

I barely ventured out on my bike all winter. Don't mind the cold, actually find it quite refreshing when cycling, but rain, sod that as with rain, there is usually wind and I hate that even more!

Dunno.

Have you put your weight into Strava along with your weight of your bike? That's the only way I can think it's working it out. Are your rides mainly on the flat?

I barely ventured out on my bike all winter. Don't mind the cold, actually find it quite refreshing when cycling, but rain, sod that as with rain, there is usually wind and I hate that even more!

I'm just on cheapskate mode, so am thinking I cant do that?

Well, there's rain and a bit of drizzle. I'm not about to go out in driving rain but I'm sure I shouldnt be quite so put off by a bit of a shower. I think coming off my bike has made me a bit cautious about coming off again