You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aye, when I got knocked off by the taxi driver my helmet ended up in 3 bits.  

Better that than my head.

No way am I overprotective when it comes to me and mine doing activities that carry risks and I do bridle at being told what to do but I dont go out without a helmet on

No way am I overprotective when it comes to me and mine doing activities that carry risks and I do bridle at being told what to do but I dont go out without a helmet on

At all times?

eric-cartman-210.jpg

Oh, you mean when you're cycling.  Me too.  But it does annoy me when people bang on as if helmets are the be all and end all, when there isn't even any proof that they add anything to safety.  Obviously, any helmet is welcome any time you bang your head, but in general terms, there is evidence to suggest that cyclists with helmets are slightly more likely to be involved in accidents.  

Gotta say, I hate the attitude of (I believe) the majority of motorists, who seem to think that all cyclists are reckless bastards, determined to smudge their paintwork with their skulls.  If anyone needs to know the definition of "confirmation bias" I would point them towards a motorist talking about cyclists.  One cyclist goes through on a red light; 50 cyclists wait for the green light = all cyclists go tear-arsing through red lights.

• Upvote 2

I think mandatory wearing of cycle helmets is a good thing here in the UK. Im not sure comparing it to Holland is a fair comparison at all. British roads have become a battleground in the last 20 years and helmet use(wahey) has become much more necessary.

As for the body armour,im not sure somebody who lives in a village where people cycle to the train station is best positioned to understand that. Sounds like Boardman is still living in 1946.

I think mandatory wearing of cycle helmets is a good thing here in the UK. Im not sure comparing it to Holland is a fair comparison at all. British roads have become a battleground in the last 20 years and helmet use(wahey) has become much more necessary.As for the body armour,im not sure somebody who lives in a village where people cycle to the train station is best positioned to understand that. Sounds like Boardman is still living in 1946.

I do find his comments quite odd when he more than most will be in no doubt about the risks of crashing at speed

I do find his comments quite odd when he more than most will be in no doubt about the risks of crashing at speed

"I think the helmet issue is a massive red herring. It’s not even in the top 10 of things you need to do to keep cycling safe or more widely, save the most lives." This has been taken as Boardman is campaigning against compulsory helmets, he's not, he's asking for the debate to focus on the things that really would make cycling safer.

http://road.cc/content/news/111258-chris-boardman-helmets-not-even-top-10-things-keep-cycling-safe

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to cycle along Catbrain Lane.

Funny you say that...cycling in the Cairngorms over the weekend we came across a photo of someone's moggy posted at the side of the road with a request to motorists to look out for the cat who, now in its old age and going blind, has taken to sleeping in the middle of the road