You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Apparently it's autism awareness day?

Anyone else aware they knew so many people who had children with the condition? Given the prevalence is actually only 6 in 1000 it's becoming a condition that each parent looks at as an excuse for their kid being a pain in the arse. Unless your kid is non verbal, manages no eye contact and genuinely can't deal with change, get off the fucking band wagon.

Wired 9.12: Take The AQ Test

I scored 37. I'm off to lick some windows.

Rant over.

Apparently it's autism awareness day?

Anyone else aware they knew so many people who had children with the condition? Given the prevalence is actually only 6 in 1000 it's becoming a condition that each parent looks at as an excuse for their kid being a pain in the arse. Unless your kid is non verbal, manages no eye contact and genuinely can't deal with change, get off the fucking band wagon.

Wired 9.12: Take The AQ Test

Rant over.

Repped. I'm sick of everyone who is a wanker, can't make friends or just happens to be a bit dumb saying they have ass-burgers.

Parents who say their kids have it, without getting them diagnosed etc can fuck off as well. I agree totally it is becoming the new 'ADHD'. An excuse for ones kid being a horrible little shit.

If you have been to a doctor and you or your child has been diagnosed - fine. Anyone else though can count my dick.

We were discussing this in work today, like.. how come no-one ever just accepts that their kid is just.. slow, stupid and a bit of a mong? It is like nowadays everyone has to have an excuse.

So you're borderline autistic, have big tits and are always gagging for it. If you ever decide to change your username, I propose Jessica Babbitt.

I think everyone displays traits associated with autism in one way or another. I got 31 in that questionnaire, and I know I'm a bit of a savant at times, but to me it's just normal. I am quite introverted in social situations yes, but I have none of the obvious classic symptoms associated with being autistic.

I suppose it’s hilarious to call people Mongs and laugh at them, but if that makes you happy then go ahead.

My son has not yet been diagnosed with Autism but he has all the traits – no eye contact, can’t handle change and can’t speak, he’s a real handful who exhausts both me and my wife and doing anything is a nightmare if he has a meltdown in public. It’s heart breaking that I know my son might never be able to talk to me or do simple stuff like go the match or pub with me because he hates loud noises and gets agitated if a lot of people are noisy around him.

Last week we got sneered at and my wife overheard 2 idiots making comments about my son when we took him to Croxteth Park. She burst out crying in the car because she feels like he’ll get this attitude off people for the rest of his life, unfortunately she only told me when we were in the car as I would have confronted the two tools who laughed at him – they weren’t little scalls either, they had their own kids playing in the adventure playground but obviously never stopped to think how they would cope if their son was like that.

The reason why people say their kid has Autism without a diagnosis is because the health authorities are reluctant to diagnose anyone, me and my wife have had to be the parents from hell to get our son to see an educational psychologist and are still a long way from getting a diagnosis for him. Some kids I’ve met at the support groups me and my wife attend haven’t been diagnosed until they were 7 or 8 and that’s not because they aren’t interested in their kids its just that the health authorities take forever to come up with a diagnosis or that the parents are not made aware of the prolonged process they have to go through.

We are currently considering putting him in a special school rather than a mainstream one as his twin sister will no doubt have to put up with sneers and questions as to why he is like that if they end up in the same school.

There is no real advantage to blagging that your kid has Autism as the health authorities are quite strict on who has it and who hasn’t, the only advantage would be to get DLA.

There's no such thing as autism. It's one of those modern made-up diseases, like ADHD and depression.

Doctor Troy - your boy just needs some proper parenting. Give him a clip round the ear and tell him to pull his socks up.

Maybe you need one of those old fashion treatments like brain damage from repeated kicking and punching to the head. I'll be more than happy to do that for you.

Repped. I'm sick of everyone who is a wanker, can't make friends or just happens to be a bit dumb saying they have ass-burgers.

Parents who say their kids have it, without getting them diagnosed etc can fuck off as well. I agree totally it is becoming the new 'ADHD'. An excuse for ones kid being a horrible little shit.

If you have been to a doctor and you or your child has been diagnosed - fine. Anyone else though can count my dick.

We were discussing this in work today, like.. how come no-one ever just accepts that their kid is just.. slow, stupid and a bit of a mong? It is like nowadays everyone has to have an excuse.

Or that their kid is just a little shit?

I suppose it’s hilarious to call people Mongs and laugh at them, but if that makes you happy then go ahead.

My son has not yet been diagnosed with Autism but he has all the traits – no eye contact, can’t handle change and can’t speak, he’s a real handful who exhausts both me and my wife and doing anything is a nightmare if he has a meltdown in public. It’s heart breaking that I know my son might never be able to talk to me or do simple stuff like go the match or pub with me because he hates loud noises and gets agitated if a lot of people are noisy around him.

Last week we got sneered at and my wife overheard 2 idiots making comments about my son when we took him to Croxteth Park. She burst out crying in the car because she feels like he’ll get this attitude off people for the rest of his life, unfortunately she only told me when we were in the car as I would have confronted the two tools who laughed at him – they weren’t little scalls either, they had their own kids playing in the adventure playground but obviously never stopped to think how they would cope if their son was like that.

The reason why people say their kid has Autism without a diagnosis is because the health authorities are reluctant to diagnose anyone, me and my wife have had to be the parents from hell to get our son to see an educational psychologist and are still a long way from getting a diagnosis for him. Some kids I’ve met at the support groups me and my wife attend haven’t been diagnosed until they were 7 or 8 and that’s not because they aren’t interested in their kids its just that the health authorities take forever to come up with a diagnosis or that the parents are not made aware of the prolonged process they have to go through.

We are currently considering putting him in a special school rather than a mainstream one as his twin sister will no doubt have to put up with sneers and questions as to why he is like that if they end up in the same school.

There is no real advantage to blagging that your kid has Autism as the health authorities are quite strict on who has it and who hasn’t, the only advantage would be to get DLA.

I've been through the whole lot of what you describe, for the last 7 years as a single parent doing it. I'm not saying this because i'm ignorant of the condition, i'm saying it because i'm acutely aware of it, well Soto's and it's symptoms. I'm aware of how hard it is raising a child with challenging behaviour. I'm dismissing kids who are just shits and who possibly have mild autistic traits as it totally devalues the condition so to speak.

There's no such thing as autism. It's one of those modern made-up diseases, like ADHD and depression.

Doctor Troy - your boy just needs some proper parenting. Give him a clip round the ear and tell him to pull his socks up.

This has to be sarcastic surely? The ignorance about Autism is outrageous I think. I do agree and remember being in school with kids who were diagnosed ADHD and that seemed like an excuse for a lot of things as some of these kids were just downright nasty bastards. Posts like the above, whether meant to be funny or not, don't really help the situation at all.

i'd have liked emlyn to explain his theory of Autism being made up to the parents of the 15 Autistic kids who attended a party i went to yesterday. I'm sure he'd have no problem explaining it in person rather than hiding behind his computer screen in some far off town in the middle of nowhere because he's really brave.

Sometimes your 'directness' is funny but on this occasion your ignorance or insensitivity or both is simply breathtaking.

That was my reaction. I cannot begin to think what Doctor Troy felt reading your 'contribution.'

Yours would have been much higher if there was a "stalking" section on there, Chicken.

True. Although I didn't stalk you yesterday, I was genuinely in there for my Burgen bread and those rather nice wholewheat tortillas.

It was just sheer chance you startled me in the cheese aisle that I said hello. That what I will tell the parole officer, anyhoo.

You spelled it wrong. It's Ass-Burgers.

Haha. I've chilled Chicken. You are right about people jumping on the bandwagon and using it as an excuse for their children just being little fuckers, so to speak. A proper diagnosis can be a laboured process, and normally sorts the wheat from the chaff.