You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paragraph 162 of the report delves into the daily uses of the phrase ‘negro’ in Latin America and makes it plain that it can be a term of affection or of degradation' date=' depending on the context of the situation. Suarez’s claims that his intentions during the exchange were mainly conciliatory are undermined by his admission that he said, “No hablo con los Negros”. QUOTE']

Suarez admitted to replying 'Por qué negro ?' in response to Evra's remark 'Don't touch me you south american'. He did not admit to using any reference to colour other than this one phrase.

Paragraph 162 of the report delves into the daily uses of the phrase ‘negro’ in Latin America and makes it plain that it can be a term of affection or of degradation' date=' depending on the context of the situation. Suarez’s claims that his intentions during the exchange were mainly conciliatory are undermined by his admission that he said, “No hablo con los Negros”. QUOTE']

Suarez admitted to replying 'Por qué negro ?' in response to Evra's remark 'Don't touch me you south american'. He did not admit to using any reference to colour other than this one phrase.

Sorry mate. I'm guilty of the same offence as Duggan which is not reading your post correctly! (although in his case not at all it would seem).

You've highlighted a perfect example of journalists abusing their privileged soapboxes.

I know perhaps i should be able to overlook it but I can't as it makes me so mad. Last night on another site I saw a link to a Channel 4 news item about Suarez...etc - don't know when it was broadcast but prob yesterday or the day before?

Anyway watched it maybe hoping that it may be a fairer and more enlightened coverage than before now we are 2 or 3 weeks on but no we had 'Suarez racially abused Evra several times' in fact to be exact we had 'Suarez said the word negrita several times to Evra'.

Acccurate? Truth? Fair? - forget it!!

Why didn't we get 'Evra alledged ............. with Suarez denying he said such a thing and nobody else was able to confirm his account' - I mean what has happened to the truth and fairness in our media? - I know we sort of accept it with the red tops but TV is usually better on the whole - but in this case it was still the same old lazy bias rubbish with them wanting to paint the picture they want to paint. Then of course the GBP believe it all (cos it was on TV) and we as LFC fans have an even more uphill task in persuading people we meet that it was not quite like that.

I despair.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear Evra was implying that Europeans are in some way superior to South Americans.

You know, in the same way that some whites disgracefully think they are better than blacks...

• 2 weeks later...

Don't want to post the source because its that shitty paper. Found this on another forum. But he's spoken about it again. Can't say its comforting.

"I was not depressed at all. I knew what I did and there is a kind of football law that says 'what happens on the pitch, stays on the pitch and that's the end of the story'."

Suarez, speaking on Radio Sport 890 in Uruguay, said: "I know against Man United it is going to be tense because I'm going to face Evra. But I'm used to having fans whistle at me. I hope nothing unusual happens. I'll have to forget what happened for that moment.

"I do know Man United fans are going to try to make me feel uncomfortable.

"But I have to tell them — they are going to spur me on if they whistle at me."

What does that mean? Is that an admission of guilt?

What happens on the pitch doesn't stay on the pitch, nor should it. Quite a silly view. I have never thought he racially abused Evra - I was absolutely certain he didn't in fact.

But these latest quotes confuse the hell out of me.

Don't want to post the source because its that shitty paper. Found this on another forum. But he's spoken about it again. Can't say its comforting.

What does that mean? Is that an admission of guilt?

What happens on the pitch doesn't stay on the pitch, nor should it. Quite a silly view. I have never thought he racially abused Evra - I was absolutely certain he didn't in fact.

But these latest quotes confuse the hell out of me.

This should allay your fears.

The translation i've read in the english media is conveniently written

to portray suarez quite badly. This is of course not new, and im not

surprised it happene, however i thought people at RAWK would like to know what was really said so here is a translation of what was said (as written in uruguayan press)

"It was really tough being out without playing all this time, i went in too anxious and couldn't really enjoy the comeback."

"The anxiety of wanting to do everything from the first minute played against me and i couldn't give all the best i would have liked to give."

"All i thought about was going in and do what i could to help the team.

If i had thouht about what happened in the las months it would have been too hard,

so i tried to forget about everything."

Suarez showed himself incredibly grateful with the behaviour of the people towards him, "not just on the field, but also in the streets."

The Reds Idol assured that Liverpool fans showed him incredible affection. "I feel very comfortable, the affection they feel for me is proven day by day."

Suarez indicated that he always was one to protest and gesture a lot but assured he will try to improve in those aspects.

The man from Salto highlighted the support he received from his team mates, "Many of them are black, born in surinam, came out in my support and told me not to worry, the same goes for another team mate from Groningen, i felt really supported by them and by the people around me. The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened. As the saying goes, what happens on the field stays on the field."

Suarez on Uruguayan Radio

The usual stirring by the press.