You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

aRdja

I think Coates will go on and be a top class centre back for some Italian team.

I just think you need more in your locker in this division. Not because it's so good, but because it's so open and like a game of basketball, and so disorganised.

The centre backs need to be physical specimens, a team's get-out-of-jail-free-card, capable of covering ground like a forward, and leaping like a salmon, and also with an upper body like a rugby league player, and some modicum of game intelligence to know to give the ball simply and not to do stupid things with it. Two things that these players do not need to be able to do (1) be great technical footballers, (2) turn quickly and sharply.

Thiago Silva is ace. Not too big, not too small, just an athlete but he can also play. You want the 6'1" lads, not the 6'4" ones so much.

I still think Coady could be a class centre back.

If you ask me, and most people do, I think Gerrard could take over from Carragher at the back. Stop being awkward Stevie, be the worlds best centre back you selfish bastard.

I don't know if you're taking the piss or not but I agree with this. Being saying it for a couple of years that he should end up there. Mattehus, Sammer, Rykardd, Hoddle, Desailly and Gullitt are just some of the top midfielders I can think off that finished up at the back.

You had to use google to know that?

Are you 12?

Yes that's right Code, I'm 12.

I thought it was Montero, but wasn't 100%. If I'd said it was Montero and it wasn't, I'm sure you'd have been on here with an equally clever and cutting remark.

I'm sobbing onto my keyboard as I type.

A bit like you when you sit back and think about how many people actually like you and choose to spend time in your company.

Now jog on, you fucking meff.

I don't know if you're taking the piss or not but I agree with this. Being saying it for a couple of years that he should end up there. Mattehus, Sammer, Rykardd, Hoddle, Desailly and Gullitt are just some of the top midfielders I can think off that finished up at the back.

I think that we could get another 4 years out of him if he changed positions, whereas we'd only get another 2, if we're lucky, with him in the middle of the park.

Great in the air, great at reading the game, great tackler, great distribution, great turn of pace in bursts, great recovery tackles, brave, vocal, experienced, strong. You'd pay £30m for a centre back like that.

If only for a transition period, which this next season certainly will be with Carragher definitely going, and the extreme likelihood that Reina, Skrtel and Coates moving on, and then there are murmurs about Johnson now. We need some stability and experience to see us through for 12 months.

And let's face it, with Coutinho, Allen, Lucas and Henderson we have good options in the middle, we just need another like Wanyama or Diame and I'd be very happy with that group.

Yes that's right Code, I'm 12.

I thought it was Montero, but wasn't 100%. If I'd said it was Montero and it wasn't, I'm sure you'd have been on here with an equally clever and cutting remark.

I'm sobbing onto my keyboard as I type.

A bit like you when you sit back and think about how many people actually like you and choose to spend time in your company.

Now jog on, you fucking meff.

With people claiming we have never beaten Ferguson to the title on here the last days I thought I should check.

The knowledge might not be all that in general.

• 3 months later...

Bump.

Coates tore his ACL while playing for Uruguay last week, and he'll now need to undergo surgery and will be out for the next 6 months or so. Won't post a link right now, but the various news sites will report it over the next few hours.

• 7 years later...
5 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It turns out players have far more of an effect when they're on the pitch than when they're on the bench, who knew.

It also turns out that greater experience for younger players in slightly less demanding leagues may be beneficial in the long run, especially for defenders. 

See also that Virgil fellow. 

• 2 years later...