You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Can you just imagine if we'd spent the money on Cavani and Levezzi rather than Carroll and Downing? Maybe even Arda Turan over Henderson?

Okay, we might not have had the English core, but I'd wager it'd be a much better team.

I think it doesn't matter. I'm pleased Kenny was backed and got the players he wanted.

Really?

Fair enough i suppose as that's your view, but I think many more are concerned about the long term impact of possible massive financial failures in the transfer market. We don't have to look very far back to see this.

But we'll see. As I said, I'm happy with the Downing signing, and still harbouring a hope that Carroll will come good also.

However, given our main recent success have been foreign lads (Suarez and Enrique) I hope the 'buy English' policy has been shelved for a 'buy the best possible out there' policy.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Imagine we just signed Messi. Messi and Ronaldo. Why not thrown in Iniesta too. I reckon we'd have a better team then as well.

Nice one.

Now, back to the reality where those players I mentioned would have been similar value to those we purchased...

I know you wanted English players. How's it working out?

Can you just imagine if we'd spent the money on Cavani and Levezzi rather than Carroll and Downing? Maybe even Arda Turan over Henderson?

Okay, we might not have had the English core, but I'd wager it'd be a much better team.

How many times have you seen him play in the last two years? It boggles my mind that people can't see the value in buying Henderson. I was over the moon when we signed him, and still am... big future ahead of him.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
How many times have you seen him play in the last two years?

Never. No idea who he is, but I heard somebody at the bus stop talking about him. Can't be all that bad.

All of his Champions/Europa League matches, and all his matches for Atletí, and it confirms to me just how much better he is than Henderson.

Edited by Numero Veinticinco

Downing looked class for England. I think he should almost be given free license to roam into space like Suarez, because I think he's intelligent enough to do that and put in the hard work inbetween.

But he looked like he's much more at ease in the sort of system where a team counter-attacks, ie, like England against Spain. Put him in against Wolves at Anfield and he doesn't get to use that pace. Then it's Maxi-time.