You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

I wouldn't sell Johnson, he's our best defender. Old wives tales about hs 'bad defending', he's saved us more times than I'd care to remember. I'd even like to see him tried at centre back, I think he's got all the ingredients, he just needs a bit of focus

With regard Dembele, I like watching him, but only for Fulham. Leave him be, that's his goldfish bowl.

One top class central midfielder and our side would look much, much better all of a sudden.

Inler, Vidal, Hernanes, Rolfes, Bender, Nocerino, Sissoko.

I was reading a piece about Suarez from Tim Vickery -

Suarez skill complements Uruguay teamwork

There was a little run and a cracking left-foot shot from outside the area. There were two headers, one classic, the other bundled in after sound reading of the situation. And to complete the set there was a drilled, first-time, right-footed cross shot.

Luis Suarez showed the full range of his astonishing talent last Friday, scoring all the goals in Uruguay's 4-0 World Cup qualifier win over Chile.

It was breathtaking stuff.

My favourite was the first goal, shortly before half-time, which paved the way for a comfortable victory over dangerous opponents.

Firstly, I liked it because it highlighted how a game can be a process. Chile defender Waldo Ponce stood off Suarez, giving him room for the shot. But Suarez had won that space on merit. Previously when Ponce had got loose, Suarez had burned past him.

It was not a risk the defender was prepared to take again, and he was entitled to believe that Suarez was too far out to score with anything but a perfect shot.

It was also an outstanding goal because of its collective context. Three of Uruguay's workmanlike midfielders played their part. Diego Perez snapped in with a typically fierce tackle. Alvaro Gonzalez played a neat first-time ball. And Egidio Arevalo Rios planted forward to Suarez in space.

None of these midfielders are stars. But Uruguay coach Oscar Washington Tabarez knows their value.

suarez_getty.jpg

Luis Suarez's four goals against Chile took his tally to 26 in 52 appearances for Uruguay.

After the game he paid tribute to his players.

"They know what we want from them," he said. "They are sufficiently humble to know their limitations, but always give their best with positive thoughts."

That opening goal, with its teamwork rounded off by individual magic, says a great deal about the recent resurgence of Uruguay.

The golden evening enjoyed by Suarez also illustrates one of football's great truths - that the stars shine most brightly when the collective balance of the team is correct.

Lose that collective balance, and even Lionel Messi goes down with the ship, as Argentina showed in a desperately disappointing 1-1 draw at home to Bolivia.

BBC - Tim Vickery: Suarez skill complements Uruguay teamwork

I'm a little worried that that we are going to become over reliant on Suarez over the coming seasons.

I remember thinking after the Champions League final in 2007 and especially after finishing second in the league in 2009 that we had the team but just lacked a little more star quality. Uniteds teams have always been littered with mediocre Carrick like players but they have always had 4 or 5 players that would get into any team in England.

At the moment, I reckon Gerrard, Suarez and Reina are our only 5* players and Gerrard has had a lot of problems with injuries recently. Agger is great but again injuries go against him. So, without having to sell to buy, I'd love us to sign a cracking right winger with real pace that loves to attack the box and a striker that will get us 20 league goals a season because as things stand, we have enough workman like players in the team. A little more genuine creativity/guile to help the likes of Suarez up front is a must for me.

Johnson is not a very good defender. He's also not great going forward but he is better at that than defending. That's the problem, he's neither one nor the other. Enrique has shown more in a quarter of a season than Johnson has in the whole time he's been here.

I prefer Kelly as a defender but he's limited as an attacking threat. Sell Johnson and get someone who's at Enrique's standard.

Not sure if Janaury is the right time to try and get this guy, but a player who I think we should be looking at is 'Hulk'.

He is the type of player we can get and will enhance our side.

Not sure if Janaury is the right time to try and get this guy, but a player who I think we should be looking at is 'Hulk'.

He is the type of player we can get and will enhance our side.

100 million euros is his buy out clause. He is at a club where CL football is a given. Unless, we are paying big money, both in transfer fee and wages, and offer CL football, he ain't coming here.

Other than getting into the European Cup, which is potentially worth many, many millions?

I don't think that you have been paying attention, have you?

The best players are cup tied.

Aspiring players will be reluctant to commit without knowing our summer Euro status.

We bought our raft of PL standard players last summer.

If you reach into lesser leagues, though, then they might be willing to come join us. We're still one of the largest clubs on the planet, despite being out of CL for two years running.

Look at Cabaye at Newcastle. He's absolutely quality, and he left a CL bound club, that just won the title, to join a club that was totally unlikely to make it to Europe in any form.

Johnson is a good defender and is even better going forward.

A fully fit Johnson is a brilliant player.

That's your opinion mate and I won't try and debate you out of it. I admit I was really excited when we first got Johnson, but since then I can't honestly say he has ever really impressed me with even a handful of standout performances.

It was when I saw what a difference Enrique made to our play this season that I realized how flat Johnson can be. He's not shite and he's better than some but he's not nearly as good as Enrique at either defending or going forward (IMO obviously). Right back is such a crucial position too.

If you reach into lesser leagues, though, then they might be willing to come join us. We're still one of the largest clubs on the planet, despite being out of CL for two years running.

Look at Cabaye at Newcastle. He's absolutely quality, and he left a CL bound club, that just won the title, to join a club that was totally unlikely to make it to Europe in any form.

This is a good point. If Newcastle can do it, we sure as hell can.

Cabaye was not a star player at Lille though. Star players cost a bomb where ever they are. Hazard would cost around 30 million. Hulk and Lucas Moura have buy out clauses upwards of 50 million. All 3 are in lesser leagues but their prices are high and are unlikely to join a club like us.

We shouldn't need to be spending £30m to find quality players. Anyone can do that. Comolli and Kenny need to show a bit more imagination in the transfer market, like Newcastle did with Cabaye. And looking at Gervinho, he'd of been a very useful addition to our squad. I felt Klose would have been a good get for a season or two, he's been scoring pretty regularly for Lazio and is exactly the type of clinical finisher we've been lacking this season. Bojan to Roma.

I just hope this daft 'buy British' for inflated fees policy is behind us now. Because with the money we've spent on Carroll, Downing and Henderson we ought to have built a much better squad than we have done.

Surprised people want to change Johnson at this time. He is a good player, and although people are not 100% happy with him RB is one of lat pos that need to be adressed. We need a CM, CB and an attacker with skill. thrilled that we apparently have been watchin Lucas Moura Da silva. A senstaional talent.

We should also get in a def midtfielder with strength, stamina, presence, pace, positional awareness and the ability to switch defense to attack in heartbeat. MVila and Vidal are excellent. Martinez too, although he lacks in pace (but so did Xabi). vidal signed for Juve last summer, and will not move, Martinez is apparently being touted by Al Citeh. M´Vila however is still the younger option at 21, at would be an immense signing at 20 mill.

these two players would make us vastly stronger. In addtion, Kenny can stop using a flat 4man midfield, Carra should be placed on the bench, Downing shold be replaced by Bellamy and hendo should stop being thrown into unknown waters at the wing. If we have to play Carroll then play Suarez and bellamy wide in a front three, and use any three of Adam, Gerrard, Lucas, Spearing and Hendo centrally. Just please please please stop playing Adam-Lucas in a central duo. Together they are appauling..

use 3 centrally in midfield,

Comolli sure Liverpool can win with kids

Published 19:55 15/11/11 By David Maddock

Damien Comolli is ready launch the second phase of Liverpool's transfer plan by strengthening the club's youth structure.

Anfield's director of football has made clear his intent to not only improve the first team squad, but also to secure the next generation by bringing in top kids from across the globe.

The Reds have tried to make up ground on the likes of Manchester United and Arsenal by spending big on the first XI over the past 12 months, with boss Kenny Dalglish given a war chest in excess of £100million for players.

But there has also been a focus on the youth structure's comparative lack of success over the past decade, when compared to clubs like United, Arsenal, and even Manchester City and Chelsea.

Martin Kelly, Jack Robinson and Jon Flanagan are the latest prospects attempting to - incredibly - become the first player from the youth ranks to truly establish himself as an enduring regular since Steven Gerrard emerged more than a decade ago.

But now Comolli has set himself the task of addressing that situation, with the Frenchman, and Liverpool's new owners, believing the club can compete best with the Premier League's powers if they bring more talent through the ranks.

That means a beefed-up youth programme under academy director Frank McParland, but also more signings from across the globe, with Comolli identifying kids as young as 15 and 16 as potential Reds.

Last week, he made a significant signing in bringing highly-rated 17-year-old US youth international Marc Pelosi to the club from California side De Anza Force.

Comolli is also close to reaching an agreement with FC Basel's 15-year-old Swiss international Nicholas Hunziker and is tracking another 15-year-old in exciting but currently clubless midfield prospect Josiah Chukwudi.

The director of football has made clear his desire to make the next raft of signings conform with the owners' long term plan of landing young players at reasonable prices, and developing them into potential world class stars to enhance their value.

On Monday, MirrorFootball revealed Liverpool's interest in arguably Brazilian football's brightest young star, Sao Paolo midfielder Lucas Rodrigues , and the club have also been tracking the situation with another teenage Brazil talent, Philippe Coutinho, who looks set to leave Inter Milan.

The Reds have also been scouting young Swiss striker Admir Mehmedi who has made a name with Zurich, and have even been linked with Aston Villa's 21-year-old Scottish midfielder Barry Bannan.

The work won't stop with scouting young overseas talent, though.

Comolli is also pressing for the promotion of some of the club's existing youngsters, with England youth internationals Raheem Sterling and Conor Coady, in particular, coming closer to the fringes of the first team squad.

It is Comolli's opinion that Liverpool can compete with United even without massive spending if they can introduce a steady stream of young talent into the first team, and the man who signed a 17-year-old Gareth Bale for Tottenham wants to accelerate that process over the next two seasons.

Liverpool's principal owner John Henry has always made clear his determination to develop the youth playing side at the club, and he believes Comolli has already played a leading role in that aim.

"It's been a great first year for Damien, his accomplishments so far - most of them unseen by people outside the club - have been extremely important," the US tycoon said recently.

"He has organised so much so quickly and so well.

"Stability, clarity and purpose have been established. A philosophy had been re-established, and we are getting closer to where we want to be."

LIVERPOOL'S YOUTH MOVEMENT UNDER COMOLLI

Signings:

Sebastien Coates: 21, centre-back from Nacional, Uruguay. Signed August 2011.

Yalany Baio: 17, defensive midfielder. Signed from Portugal in January 2011.

Tom King: 17, defender, born in Norway but raised in Australia. Signed autumn 2010.

Marc Pelosi: 17, German midfielder. Arrived at the Academy from De Anza Force club in California in November 2011.

Yusuf Mersin: 17, Turkey U17 international goalkeeper. Arrived from Millwall in January 2011.

Kristoffer Peterson: 16, Winger. Signed from Swedish side A Savedalens IF in January 2011.

Local young players now in first team squad:

Martin Kelly: Aged 21, defender.

Jon Flanagan: 18, right-back.

Jack Robinson: Club's youngest first team player, now 18, left-back.

Jonjo Shelvey: 19, midfielder. Currently on loan at Blackpool. Signed from Charlton.

Youth team players with chance of making grade:

Raheem Sterling: 17, winger. Signed from QPR.

Jack Dunn: 17, midfielder.

Jordan Lussey: 17, midfielder.

Adam Morgan: England U18s striker.

Jamie Stephens: 18, goalkeeper. Signed from Swindon.

I'd have Boudebouz. Some say he is overrated and overpriced, but if the figure flying around is correct I don't think he is. £14m for a winger, with pace, who beats his man with dribbling and or pace who also have a great cross on him. So unlike Babel, he does have an end product.

Players we should look at more closely Boudebouz, Marco Reus, Kagawa, Doumbia, Leandro Damiao who are all players who would improve us in their respective positions.

I would love seeing Hazard here, or Goetze, but that is very unlikely, but I won't stop hoping.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I don't think that you have been paying attention, have you?

The best players are cup tied.

Aspiring players will be reluctant to commit without knowing our summer Euro status.

We bought our raft of PL standard players last summer.

Pay attention to what, your baseless drivel? No, I haven't. You said that you couldn't see the sense in doing significant business. That's incredibly short sighted. The sense is that we're fighting to finish in the top four and another quality player or two might well be the difference between achieving that aim and missing out. Missing out will be a major set-back to our plans.

So what if the best players are cup tied? What sort of relevance does that have. And you have no ideas whether or not a player will or won't be reluctant. No wonder you can't see the sense, it seems to have escaped you totally.

If only we had a record of buying a top quality player, in the winter transfer window, who is already at a club in the European cup, and signed even with our future unknown. That'd make your argument look incredibly weak. You know, like Luis Suarez for example.

*mumbles* heh, fucking not paying attention.*mumbles*