You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

Why are we even discussing Downing, Carroll, Henderson etc in the January transfer thread?

They all deserve until the end of the season before we consider selling them.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
2 against united, 3 v Norwich, Carrolls chance v Swansea, a great chance for Kuyt Sunday, and that's just off top of my head

Yep, that chance he created for Kuyt was an absolute sitter. I think it's quite obvious that our definitions of 'sitter' is considerably difference. Mainly insofar as I don't count an unmarked Downing passing the ball 1 yard to Kuyt, who was on the edge of the box, as a 'sitter'.

I guess we have a different requirement from a 20m winger. I require more than a 1 yard pass, that required a world class finish, to be happy.

there's been more, come on who would you have bought, don't forget this winger must have special powers that can make strikers finish.

If possible, I'd have gone all out to get Mata before his clause ran out. If that wasn't possible, and I accept it might not have been, I'd have gone for Arda Turan at half the price of Downing. There's plenty of other players coming through, too.

Why are we even discussing Downing, Carroll, Henderson etc in the January transfer thread?

They all deserve until the end of the season before we consider selling them.

Don't be ridiculous, man. Let's all sit in a circle and discuss who we should have bought instead.

I think Downing will come good, but he will never be worth £20 million! And Caroll will never be worth £35million so we may as well accept the fees and judge the performances.

Neither have been good enough (and I am a fan of Downing) so far, and apart from the current zeitgeist for cheerleading that seems to be mandatory for Liverpool fans at present, I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise! If you didn't feel they were good signings in August then they haven't done anything to counter that argument so far have they? They might, but that is more relevant to those who think they will eventually come good than those who did not rate them from the beginning.

Henderson is slightly different in that he is at least playing out of position, but this also begs the question, why did we buy him? Someone like McCarthy may have been a better option if you wanted a right midfielder, Henderson doesn't look like he will do anything out there. So I think it is fair to question that signing, if not the player. The reason why I think Enrique has been so good, is because he has been bought specifically to address a weakness, and it is his primary position, whereas Henderson has been bought to address a weakness and yet that is not his primary position, his primary position is well covered, so why not buy someone who did address that position and maybe leave Henderson?

Bellamy is fucking great and his scrap with Terry and Lampard was fucking brilliant and exactly what we have been missing this season!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Downing is a much better player than Turan

If by better, you mean scores and creates less, is slowed, has less skill and can't really beat his man, then we're in total agreement.

Anyway, I just went to look at the 'sitter' from the Chelsea match. It's a wonder Barca haven't been in for him:

1GK4h.jpg

He did totally the wrong thing there. He should have knocked it left, passed the defender and then shot or crossed, like this:

j4goL.jpg

I think Downing will come good, but he will never be worth £20 million! And Caroll will never be worth £35million so we may as well accept the fees and judge the performances.

Neither have been good enough (and I am a fan of Downing) so far, and apart from the current zeitgeist for cheerleading that seems to be mandatory for Liverpool fans at present, I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise! If you didn't feel they were good signings in August then they haven't done anything to counter that argument so far have they? They might, but that is more relevant to those who think they will eventually come good than those who did not rate them from the beginning.

Henderson is slightly different in that he is at least playing out of position, but this also begs the question, why did we buy him? Someone like McCarthy may have been a better option if you wanted a right midfielder, Henderson doesn't look like he will do anything out there. So I think it is fair to question that signing, if not the player. The reason why I think Enrique has been so good, is because he has been bought specifically to address a weakness, and it is his primary position, whereas Henderson has been bought to address a weakness and yet that is not his primary position, his primary position is well covered, so why not buy someone who did address that position and maybe leave Henderson?

Bellamy is fucking great and his scrap with Terry and Lampard was fucking brilliant and exactly what we have been missing this season!

Spot on!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Downing can't be better than Turan, don't you know he's English.

And slower, less skillful, and less productive. Seriously, this is the same shit as always: Pennant better than Dani Alves, Downing better than Mata... it doesn't really matter who it is, you're 100% behind Downing.

If by better, you mean scores and creates less, is slowed, has less skill and can't really beat his man, then we're in total agreement.

Anyway, I just went to look at the 'sitter' from the Chelsea match. It's a wonder Barca haven't been in for him:

He did totally the wrong thing there. He should have knocked it left, passed the defender and then shot or crossed.

Of course he should, why don't you go off and do a 1000 word report breaking down all the clear cut chances he's created.

And slower, less skillful, and less productive. Seriously, this is the same shit as always: Pennant better than Dani Alves, Downing better than Mata... it doesn't really matter who it is, you're 100% behind Downing.

Turan is nowhere near as fast as Downing, of you think that I guess you slot into that 90% I was talking about

Bellamy, Suarez and Enrique have been class signings.

Adam has been decent.

Downing and Henderson haven't been good so far.

Without getting into another argument how can you class Bellamy as Class and Adam just decent, I'm not knocking Bellamy as I think he's a great signing, but Adam has been better than I thought, and has stepped up in the big games v Chelsea United and Everton although I appreciate the shite had 10 men for most of the game

Adam has been decent.

I'd agree with that.

Carroll obviously the worst of the lot. Hopefully him, Downing and Henderson will improve throughout the season. We'll look pretty strong if they do.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Turan is nowhere near as fast as Downing

Only one can beat their man consistently, and Turan does it with pace and skill. Downing rarely beats his man, which is consistent with what he has displayed through his mediocre career.

Still, if Downing keeps 'making' sitters like the one above, I guess we'll get those 18 yard tap ins some time soon. Can't wait.

Adam has been decent.

Less said about Carroll the better!

Only one can beat their man consistently, and Turan does it with pace and skill. Downing rarely beats his man, which is consistent with what he has displayed through his mediocre career.

Still, if Downing keeps 'making' sitters like the one above, I guess we'll get those 18 yard tap ins some time soon. Can't wait.

So your now admitting Turan isn't faster than him, don't forget to pm that link with the breakdown of all the chances

Like every argument on here it baffles me how people can adopt the positions they do in such polzarized opposite ways.

I think its clear as day he hasn't been amazing since hes arrived and you can't just finger point at the forwards and say its all their fault. Theres plenty of games where hes been criticized for being very average and not just by turbomongs in full whine mode but by alot of well respected posters on this site. Even Dave U has raised the point on a few occasions now. And I trust his opinion.

But in equal measure, he hasn't been shite and he hes still only 3/4 months into his career with us. So how the fuck can we say hes been a waste of money or player XYZ would have been a better buy.

Bollox, no one can conclusively proove that yet. We've got at least till the end of the season till anyone can pass judgement on him.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
So your now admitting Turan isn't faster than him

Erm, no.

don't forget to pm that link with the breakdown of all the chances

Erm, no.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Anyway, I'll let this thread take its natural course of defending the players we purchase in the winter, regardless of their ability or value.

I've never said Pennant was better than Dani Alves. Mata is not a winger. Kenny wanted a winger.

I think you're overplaying my apparant love of all English players. I said I think it's important for us to have a good strong British core, and I still do. You quite clearly disagree. Stop using it as something to try and rub in my face.

As for the "the players you wanted aren't working out very well", it's not the players I wanted. It's the players Kenny wanted, first and foremost. We were never going to get the players you wanted. Why the fuck are we still arguing about this?