You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This really does come across as the rantings of a senile old man...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/sep/22/donald-trump-nfl-national-anthem-protests

Disinvited the Golden State Warriors from the traditional champions White House visit because of perceived hesitation (Curry had already said he isn't going) as well now.  Got Lebron James and Kobe Bryant ripping on him publicly now:

LeBron JamesVerified account @KingJames 4h4 hours ago

"U bum @StephenCurry30 already said he ain't going! So therefore ain't no invite. Going to White House was a great honor until you showed up!"

Kobe was a little more diplomatic.

President Bum.

Except, it's not really funny. The cunt is gonna start WW3. try as I might, I just can't bring myself to find that funny

Nah he's a complete coward, self obsessed and will do nothing that would endanger his golf course empire. We were in much more danger during the Reagan years.

If Kim had any brains he'd realize he's already won.

There will be lots of players kneeling. Some of the Twatteraty has been ridiculous, I wont ever support team blah again if any of the players kneel etc. Last weekend there was 6 players kneeling, lots more will do this weekend after this morons comments.

The US attitude to the anthem is a strange one. They play it before every game of every sport, it's overkill and the reverence they place in it is strange. I once went to an NFL game at Wembley in 2010 and booed God Save the Queen because it's a terrible anthem and I won't have it. Can't imagine doing that now, it's a different world we live in and the UK is becoming increasingly like the US - in thrall to nationalism and with a unnecessary reverence of the military.

• Upvote 5

The US attitude to the anthem is a strange one. They play it before every game of every sport, it's overkill and the reverence they place in it is strange. I once went to an NFL game at Wembley in 2010 and booed God Save the Queen because it's a terrible anthem and I won't have it. Can't imagine doing that now, it's a different world we live in and the UK is becoming increasingly like the US - in thrall to nationalism and with a unnecessary reverence of the military.

I remember watching footage of Marvin Gaye singing SSB at some Basketball game or something with my Dad when I was wee & I asked him why black people would sing the national anthem so passionately when they'd been treated so badly across there.

All very odd.

Does anyone in America not think it's the 'greatest country in the World'?