You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi better than Maradona?

Section_31

The Best?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. The Best?

I'm not questioning Maradona's greatness. He is one of the greatest players of all time, of that there is no question. Like Best he was a flawed genuis, modern football imo is much more than natural talent.

Napoli & Argentina did have other world class players by the way.

My opinion of maradoan fell immesnly with his drugs problems. sorry but thats just a big fuck off fat no in my book.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what ordinary teams? He won the world cup in a steam hot central america with some great players as team mates. Along with the brilliant Careca he guided Napoli to brief success. Apart from that what other greatness do you refer too. He a romantic player, a player of absolute genuis but his mentality & application held him back & stopped him being more successful

Messi may not be the better natural footballer but he has a million times more application than Maradona ever had and that is what is taking him to a new level.

I agree with this and we have it in every sport, people remember the past with much more romantic picture. The only thing people hold against Messi is he didnt have a great world cup yet, im sure if next one he's not injured he will prove himself over there. But for me consistency is the best way to judge a sportmans greatness and the quality Messi has produced so far in his young career is something that has never been seen before. Players are stronger and faster than ever.....so Messi is playing against stronger and faster players than Maradona did.

I actually think because of his (Messi) age I would still just about plump for Maradona, but it's a tough one to judge. Their are so many different variables that it makes it impossible to know who is/was the better player. They have played the game in totally different era's, players are given much greater protection now than at any other time previously. The game being quicker, does that reinforce the argument for Messi? or is it irrelevant because you should judge them against their fellow pros? Messi plays in one of the greatest club sides you are likely to see, Maradona transformed a struggling Napoli side into uefa cup winners as well as winning the Serie A title when Italian football was the dominant force in europe. Someone posted something the other night stating that Messi was already the 3rd highest goal scorer in Barcelona's history! phenomonal! You really could make a compelling argument for either or.

62 v 62?

I didn't think it would be anywhere near that close. I'm surprised by that.

I don't think he's done enough yet to justify being ahead of Maradona. Granted we didn't get to see anywhere near as much football back then, but I always remember been completely mesmerised by Maradona when I watched. Messi is very similar, but with the tackling and physical abuse Maradona had to also deal with back then, he is still in front of Messi and it’ll be a few years yet before we can consider him the best ever.

Maradona for me. Messi is a one trick pony. (But what a trick) All he does is dribble past 3 or 4 players and slots the ball in the back of the net. A great player but not as good as Maradona, Zidane, Cruyff, Pele etc.

Messi can get marked out of games and has played for great teams surrounded by excellent plaayers.

Messi is an amazing player, no question. One of the best ever. It does have to be said though that he wasn't that good at the World Cup when he was in a fairly average Argentina side, and as others have noted, his club side is one of the greatest ever in terms of the players he's surrounded by. Ability-wise there isn't much between them, but Maradona remains ahead for me based on his achievements and the context of them.

Why do people only bring up records for the national team when discussing Diego and Messi?

Yes Diego has a better international record, Messi has a better club record. It shouldn't be held against him that he plays for barca; it would be like dissing Maradona's world cup victory because Argentina were the best team.

If you look at the numbers, Messi is phenominal. For somebody to score 50 goals in a season; in an era where players are fitter and stronger than ever, and to get 25 assists.

But what sets him apart for me is his mentality. Totally committed and totally professional. This is the cause for his consistency, if he can keep injury free and carry on his form over the last few years then there is no doubt he will be classed as the greatest ever.

Why do people only bring up records for the national team when discussing Diego and Messi?

Yes Diego has a better international record, Messi has a better club record. It shouldn't be held against him that he plays for barca; it would be like dissing Maradona's world cup victory because Argentina were the best team.

If you look at the numbers, Messi is phenominal. For somebody to score 50 goals in a season; in an era where players are fitter and stronger than ever, and to get 25 assists.

But what sets him apart for me is his mentality. Totally committed and totally professional. This is the cause for his consistency, if he can keep injury free and carry on his form over the last few years then there is no doubt he will be classed as the greatest ever.

I think people bring this up because to be the very best you will need to have done it on both club and country level. Maradona did that, Messi will also need to do it, to be classed as the very best the world has ever seen. I haven't seen anyone saying it is only about the country, but both.

Maradona was the undoubted leader of both the Napoli side and Argentina side. He most times carried the teams he played for nearly single handedly

Messi is still young. He might still grow to be a leader. Skill wise he is probably nearly or at the same level. But he is still young, and scarily has plenty of room to grow. He is also unhampered by discipline and drug and alcohol problems, and will probably have a longer and maybe more distinguished career.

Barca are the best side in Europe because of Messi. They wouldn't be the best without him.

Fazakerley.

Messi has scored 52 goals, with a further 25 assists. Take his 77 goals away from Barca and see where they would be.

Barca also have what many people regard as the best striker in the world up front, and Messi has outscored him by, what 3 to 1 almost? Barca are the team they are because of Messi, any other suggestion is odd.

I'm not questioning Maradona's greatness. He is one of the greatest players of all time, of that there is no question. Like Best he was a flawed genuis, modern football imo is much more than natural talent.

Napoli & Argentina did have other world class players by the way.

My opinion of maradoan fell immesnly with his drugs problems. sorry but thats just a big fuck off fat no in my book.

Who? The next best player after Maradonna for Argentina was Valdano, and off the top of my head I can name 5 German players in the 86 final who Valdano was nowhere near as good as.