You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi better than Maradona?

Section_31

The Best?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. The Best?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's nowhere near him, just like Real Madrid are nowhere near as good as Barca despite being not that far away points wise.

I know that, just making the point that goals aren't the only barometer especially when another player (who nobody would make a claim for being the greatest ever) is posting almost-equally freakish totals.

I think its more to do with how much better Real Madrid and Barcelona are than everybody else, and the fact that those two players are the focal points of their respective teams.

Maradona....IMO Messi isnt anywhere near him yet.

poppycock imo

the arguement that maradona didn't get marked out the game is fucking bollocks too. he regularly did & quite often lost his temper & let opposing players affect his game. If he wasn't contributing in an attacking sense did anyone EVER see him track back and tackle. No because he didn't.... it was a different era and that wasn't expected of attacking footballers then.

Because of the massive difference in the game it is probably impossible to compare the two despite them being very similar players. Its just my opinion but i have no doubt that in the modern era, Maradona would not be as effective as he was. Thats not to say he wouldn't be able to adapt his game but the pace & power of the modern day footballer is far greater now than it was.

Wow! Messi in the lead 77-76, guess that reflects the younger public in here (and possibly some influence by Maradona's hapless coaching and cheating vs England?). Some really strange comments as well, like Messi being a better dribbler than Maradona, and that Maradona wouldn't cope with stronger and quicker defenders!

The only reason (controversial....) that Messi is mentioned in the same breath as Maradona is the difference in professionalism between the two (I'm just glad I got to see Maradona live on a couple of occasions before his lifestyle/abuse took its toll). Talent -wise it's a non-contest, there will never be another player with the same skill-set as Diego. Messi's got great pace and quick feet, but Diego's explosiveness was breathtaking. Messi can go through players like he did Wednesday, but if Maradona had done that, you can be sure he would have been hacked down by the Albiol character near the 16-yard box. The only reason he got to score that goal for Argentina was the defensive job by Beardsley by the way. Love the way he just goes near full speed, never really trying to get close to Diego, then just coming to a halt realising he's witnessing history:-).

Messi's got a decent shot on him, and is a pretty cool finisher, Diego could bang them in from just about everywhere. The fact that Diego never played in a side as good (superior to its opponents) obviously gives Messi a massive advantage in goals. I think La Liga's status is dwindling too, while Serie A was head and shoulders above everyone else back in mid/late-80's. For evidence, check out Villareal Thursday night:-). Some on here have said that Messi is a better team player, but again, if Diego had been playing with Iniesta and Xavi I think he'd be inclined to pass the ball a bit more/quicker too. He would probably also have benefitted from playing a bit higher up the pitch, being fed by Xavi/Pique/Alves, like Messi does (he's practically been a striker for two seasons now).

Edit: As I'm dead tired, I've probably worded this pretty badly, just wanted to try and make a point for the only true football deity (and I worshipped Fowler)....

Wow! Messi in the lead 77-76, guess that reflects the younger public in here (and possibly some influence by Maradona's hapless coaching and cheating vs England?). Some really strange comments as well, like Messi being a better dribbler than Maradona, and that Maradona wouldn't cope with stronger and quicker defenders!

The only reason (controversial....) that Messi is mentioned in the same breath as Maradona is the difference in professionalism between the two (I'm just glad I got to see Maradona live on a couple of occasions before his lifestyle/abuse took its toll). Talent -wise it's a non-contest, there will never be another player with the same skill-set as Diego. Messi's got great pace and quick feet, but Diego's explosiveness was breathtaking. Messi can go through players like he did Wednesday, but if Maradona had done that, you can be sure he would have been hacked down by the Albiol character near the 16-yard box. The only reason he got to score that goal for Argentina was the defensive job by Beardsley by the way. Love the way he just goes near full speed, never really trying to get close to Diego, then just coming to a halt realising he's witnessing history:-).

Messi's got a decent shot on him, and is a pretty cool finisher, Diego could bang them in from just about everywhere. The fact that Diego never played in a side as good (superior to its opponents) obviously gives Messi a massive advantage in goals. I think La Liga's status is dwindling too, while Serie A was head and shoulders above everyone else back in mid/late-80's. For evidence, check out Villareal Thursday night:-). Some on here have said that Messi is a better team player, but again, if Diego had been playing with Iniesta and Xavi I think he'd be inclined to pass the ball a bit more/quicker too. He would probably also have benefitted from playing a bit higher up the pitch, being fed by Xavi/Pique/Alves, like Messi does (he's practically been a striker for two seasons now).

Edit: As I'm dead tired, I've probably worded this pretty badly, just wanted to try and make a point for the only true football deity (and I worshipped Fowler)....

Totally selling messi short there. They're very close ability-wise; anybody who has watched both extensively will tell you this. What sets Messi apart is his mentality. (no slight on Diego, we all know what a great leader he was)

poppycock imo

the arguement that maradona didn't get marked out the game is fucking bollocks too. he regularly did & quite often lost his temper & let opposing players affect his game. If he wasn't contributing in an attacking sense did anyone EVER see him track back and tackle. No because he didn't.... it was a different era and that wasn't expected of attacking footballers then.

Because of the massive difference in the game it is probably impossible to compare the two despite them being very similar players. Its just my opinion but i have no doubt that in the modern era, Maradona would not be as effective as he was. Thats not to say he wouldn't be able to adapt his game but the pace & power of the modern day footballer is far greater now than it was.

Would Messi still be effective in the Barca system if he had not been trained in that way since the age of 14?

The French and premier league are heavily reliant on pace and power others still have a huge element of skill.

I wont bother addressing your point about tracking back or tackling otherwise the likes of Kuyt come into contention

The only reason he got to score that goal for Argentina was the defensive job by Beardsley by the way. Love the way he just goes near full speed, never really trying to get close to Diego, then just coming to a halt realising he's witnessing history:-).

Don't you mean Peter Reid?

I think so, but until he's done it at international level then the doubt is there. Maradona virtually won the world cup on his own.

At club level Messi is untouchable, he's from another planet.

Mmmm....the respect garnered from those fantastic match reports gone in 3 words!!

I think the fact that Maradona loved his beak and his ale (and that it regularly affected his playing) clouds my judgement a bit. His natural ability puts him at least on par with anybody but you'll never go down as 'the greatest' when you're missing games due to being off your face or when you have drugs bans hanging over you.

Same goes with Best. Flawed genius? Or a pisshead who wasted his life?

I wonder how many of the younger generation who voted for Messi ever saw Maradona in his pomp.

My dad who was a Leeds fan always said that Duncan Edwards was the best he had ever seen, bar none.

I simply could never argue with him because a few grainy black and white films could never do Edwards justice.

Maradona to me as a 14 year old in 1986 was on a different planet to any other footballer I'd ever seen x10. He dragged a lethargic Argentinian team by the scuff of the neck on his own and made them World Champions.

Until Messi does this, and Brazil 2014 would be ideal, I could never measure him in the same stratus as Diego.

Is this a wind up? Messi and Maradona have practically identical playing styles

Far from identical IMO.

Maradona was totally one-footed, had an incredible passing range as well as the dribbling skills, and dictated the way his team played.

Even the dribbling style is different, Messi is all side foot, Maradona little toe pokes.

I think Messi is incredible, but agree he doesn't have that magic, everything always makes sense, I never get that "what the fuck did he just do?" feeling with him.

In short Messi should start taking drugs, he's too square.

Probably on par already but Messi has the potential to be even better.

And seems a nicer lad who will focus more on football than on the coke and bitches, so probably will be better at his peak.

Beautifully worded, agree entirely:yes:

Totally selling messi short there. They're very close ability-wise; anybody who has watched both extensively will tell you this. What sets Messi apart is his mentality. (no slight on Diego, we all know what a great leader he was)

Close perhaps, not very close. No, they won't;)

Always an impossible discussion comparing players from different times though. We'll have to agree to disagree. And I'm not selling anyone short btw, it's just that Maradona was ten times better than everyone when he was at his peak. If you want to define greatness by goals scored, how many seasons one has played etc, then I agree there can be an argument made for Messi in a few seasons time, but Messi at his best vs Maradona at his best is still a no-brainer for me.

How old are you, and what nationality are you btw? As I've mentioned I have a suspicion that it's the young(ish), British voters that are influencing this poll the "wrong" way:idea:

Close perhaps, not very close. No, they won't;)

Always an impossible discussion comparing players from different times though. We'll have to agree to disagree. And I'm not selling anyone short btw, it's just that Maradona was ten times better than everyone when he was at his peak. If you want to define greatness by goals scored, how many seasons one has played etc, then I agree there can be an argument made for Messi in a few seasons time, but Messi at his best vs Maradona at his best is still a no-brainer for me.

How old are you, and what nationality are you btw? As I've mentioned I have a suspicion that it's the young(ish), British voters that are influencing this poll the "wrong" way:idea:

Fair enough, they aren't "very close" like I previously claimed. He probably is closer to Best tbh. Was very hasty in my assesment.

Ability wise, Messi can do everything Maradona could do at his peak. Dribble, pass, shoot, head. I do want to define greatness by goals scored/assists etc. That's how you influence games. Maradona was an astonishing player, another level above the likes of Best, Cryuff, Zidane. Messi is an equally devestating footballer but he has produced records the past few years which have surpassed anything Maradona has done.

Btw I couldn't give a flying fuck about the national team or the 'hand of god'. I find it very condescending that you mention the 'wrong' choice. This is all opinion after all.

(I will admit to being swayed by the difference in personalities between the two, i know this doesn't necessarily effect footballing ability but I can't help but let it cloud my judgement somewhat).

Ask yourself this.

How much better than the player considered the next best player in the world would you say they both are?

With that in mind I`d say Maradona as its almost impossible to compare players from different eras because of the development in the game.

• 6 months later...

Maradona still has it for me.

Messi has to do it at International level before I will consider him on the same level as Maradona.

What Maradona did for Napoli was also incredible, although maybe Messi could do that - we'd not know as I can't see him leaving Barca until late in his career.

Old enough to have seen Maradona in his heyday and i've voted for Messi.

It's all well and good saying Messi has a great team around him, i'd say the team have a fantastic footballer to play to. Take Messi's goals away from Barca and it might be interesting to see where they would be.

He's a brilliant player and I think he's on a par with Maradona now as far as skill level and influence go.

And at 23 he'll only improve.