You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Marveaux was trained as a central midfielder, and this is something one can very easily realise when watching him twirl across a square expanding from the left touch-line to the centre of the field. He mainly plays in a left winger position, but he isn’t anything like a left winger. And although it could not quite be branded a lack of intelligence, he lacks many of the qualities required of a true winger and especially the tactical finesse required to exploit the flank with full efficiency.

While he could make the best out of his pace and skills alternating runs down the wing and cuts through to centre as a Nani or a Valencia, Marveaux is compulsively attracted to the centre, no matter what. Cutting out is certainly all right, but cutting out from the left when you only have a left foot can sometimes be a handicap. On top of this, his crossing ability is nearly inexistent, and he will always favour a central or individual solution to a transmission to his left back running up the field. The decision is sometimes justified by a scoring action (10 goals and 5 assists last season) but an ability to open eyes to options other than the obvious would be a definite added value to his game.

that's disappointing to read. looks like he's a right winger who'll cut back on his left then. one of the clips showed him delivering a good corner from the right. maybe they meant he can't cross from the left?

At the end of the day, Rafa was the one that has brought Kenny back to the club ... Only because of that, he deserves more respect from LFC supporters ... Not to mention the European Cup and the No.1 ranking in Europe ... I am as optimistic as any reasonable LFC supporter under FSG's ownership and Kenny's management, but there is no need to piss on Rafa's legacy in order to praise Kenny ...

When did I do that?? Under Rafa we were not united as the many transfers and negative tactics DID create a chasm with the fans.

The three things that I will always love Rafa for are the Champions League Cup, the FA Cup and the overhaul of the Academy, thats it.

don't take this the wrong way mate but that's bullshit it's the biggest myth since the bible. Just because the likes of Benayoun and Riera didn't like his style doesn't mean he was shit all together at it. Just go back and have a look at the way Gerrard, Torres, Alonso, and Mascherano still talk about him.

Oh ok so Alonso left because he was treated well?

When did I do that?? Under Rafa we were not united as the many transfers and negative tactics DID create a chasm with the fans.

The three things that I will always love Rafa for are the Champions League Cup, the FA Cup and the overhaul of the Academy, thats it.

Alonso left because he wanted to go back to spain, probably to bring his boy up over there.

I dont remember him ever coming out saying he was forced out of the club, its a myth.

Alonso left because he wanted to go back to spain, probably to bring his boy up over there.

I dont remember him ever coming out saying he was forced out of the club, its a myth.

I never said the club did forced Alonso out, but what I was saying was that Rafa did make some players unhappy with the way he treated players, one of which left (Alonso)....

Lets take a trip down memory lane:

Xabi Alonso: Last year's sales talk convinced me to leave Liverpool | Football | The Guardian

Wednesday 2 September 2009 18.46 BST

Xabi Alonso has admitted he resolved to leave Liverpool after the club's unsuccessful attempt to sell him last summer. The midfielder's assertion tonight that being told by Rafael Benítez he would be sold was the "moment that changed my mind" contradicts previous claims from himself and the Liverpool manager that he was happy at Anfield and had no intention of leaving.

Before handing in a transfer request in July to facilitate his £30m move to Real Madrid, the midfielder had repeatedly pledged his allegiance to Liverpool and his desire to stay, despite Benítez's willingness last summer to sell him to fund his ill-fated pursuit of Gareth Barry. Similarly the Liverpool manager was insistent that the player he signed from Real Sociedad for £10.5m in 2004 had no desire to leave and would not be sold.

Alonso's performances did not suffer in the wake of the uncertainty and he enjoyed arguably his best season at Anfield, as the club came within four points of wresting the Premier League title from Manchester United. However he has now admitted that he knew his fifth season at the club would be his last.

"Last summer the club [told] me that I might have to be sold to find funds for new players. It was a difficult decision or difficult moment to accept. I accepted that as a professional and that moment probably changed my mind," he told Sky Sports News. "It was a very difficult decision for me to make. After five years I have experienced wonderful nights at Anfield, to have experienced the support of probably the best fans in the world.

"That's why I have always been very grateful and I will always have them in my mind and it has been a pleasure," added the 27-year-old, who made his competitive debut for Real in their 3-2 defeat of Deportivo La Coruña on Saturday night.

As recently as June, weeks before he submitted his transfer request, Alonso professed his desire to stay on Merseyside, telling a Spanish newspaper: "I am happy at Liverpool but in football you cannot close the doors on anything because you don't know what will happen. I do not plan to go."

Benítez was emphatic about the Spain international remaining at the club, saying at the end of last season that the player was happy at Anfield. "I repeat, we do not want to sell, he is not for sale. He has said he is happy here in Liverpool, in every single press conference, in every single interview," said the Liverpool manager in late May. Liverpool declined to comment tonight.

Alonso insisted that though Benítez rather inelegantly tried to offload him on Arsenal and Juventus, he maintained a satisfactory working relationship with his manager. "I have always tried to do what he asked [me] to do. What he asked of me on the pitch, to do the talking on the pitch, and that's that."

Liverpool's assistant manager Sammy Lee has been warned about his future conduct by the Football Association's Regulatory Commission. Lee admitted improper conduct after being charged over his conduct towards the fourth official, Stuart Attwell, during the club's defeat at Tottenham in their opening game of the season.

Players get bought and sold all the time it isn't necessarily because they where miss treated .hH said numerous times that Rafa was good for him.

Say if we try to seel Poulsen this summer and it falls through but he ends up being a decent player for us, would you say he was miss treated?

I'd love it if we signed Baines, my undies would have new stains but it's never going to happen. Don't Carrol and Nzogbia hate each other.

They had a training ground brawl a few years ago when Joe Kinnear was manager at Newcastle. John Hartson and Eyal Berkovic had a similar fall out at West Ham and kissed and made up. Not sure if Carroll and N'Zogbia made their peace though. I rate Charles N'Zogbia as a player but he does seem very moody.

Players get bought and sold all the time it isn't necessarily because they where miss treated .hH said numerous times that Rafa was good for him.

Say if we try to seel Poulsen this summer and it falls through but he ends up being a decent player for us, would you say he was miss treated?

Moot point because Poulsen is not a key player for us.

Say Ferguson stated that he wants to bring in Benzema and that is directly linked to Rooney being sold or not...would you say that Rooney was being miss-treated??

At the end of the day, Rafa was the one that has brought Kenny back to the club ... Only because of that, he deserves more respect from LFC supporters ... Not to mention the European Cup and the No.1 ranking in Europe ... I am as optimistic as any reasonable LFC supporter under FSG's ownership and Kenny's management, but there is no need to piss on Rafa's legacy in order to praise Kenny ...

Yep, and one of the first tasks Kenny was given by Benitez was to scout our very own Luiz Suarez..

What did you get banned for from over there? I went back after a while and it turned out you'd been banned...

I've clashed with an alleged ITK ... It was clear that he was talking shite, claiming that he has an exclusive info on the takeover ... Unfortunately for me, the people running the boards had other ideas ... They probably liked the increased traffic, caused by the alleged ITK ...

I've clashed with an alleged ITK ... It was clear that he was talking shite, claiming that he has an exclusive info on the takeover ... Unfortunately for me, the people running the boards had other ideas ... They probably liked the increased traffic, caused by the alleged ITK ...

Ha, yeah think I remember that, was it primetime?

We've watched Wigan a couple of times this season, haven't we? They have a few useful players who might be worth a look if they go down. I don't really think we need to look at Baines to know his qualities.

Rodallega looks a decent player, and McCarthy of course.

They had a training ground brawl a few years ago when Joe Kinnear was manager at Newcastle. John Hartson and Eyal Berkovic had a similar fall out at West Ham and kissed and made up. Not sure if Carroll and N'Zogbia made their peace though. I rate Charles N'Zogbia as a player but he does seem very moody.

He drove past me in his Range Rover after the Wigan away game this year and flicked the v's at me the bastard! For that reason i'm out.

Tottenham will revive their interest in Joe Cole just 12 months after he rejected a move to White Hart Lane and completed a free transfer to Liverpool.

Cole’s decision to move to Merseyside has been a disaster as injury and an alarming loss of form has wiped out his campaign.

He will have to lick his wounds and take a substantial pay cut to return to London while Liverpool will demand at least £5million to cover the £100,000 a week they were paying Cole.

Cole has confided to close friends that he may have made a mistake joining Liverpool and would welcome a reunion with Redknapp who previously managed him at West Ham.

Read more: Transfer news Tottenham to rescue Liverpool Joe Cole from Merseyside nightmare this summer - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Tottenham will revive their interest in Joe Cole just 12 months after he rejected a move to White Hart Lane and completed a free transfer to Liverpool.

Cole’s decision to move to Merseyside has been a disaster as injury and an alarming loss of form has wiped out his campaign.

He will have to lick his wounds and take a substantial pay cut to return to London while Liverpool will demand at least £5million to cover the £100,000 a week they were paying Cole.

Cole has confided to close friends that he may have made a mistake joining Liverpool and would welcome a reunion with Redknapp who previously managed him at West Ham.

Read more: Transfer news Tottenham to rescue Liverpool Joe Cole from Merseyside nightmare this summer - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Yes please.

Cole's decision to move to Merseyside has been a disaster as injury and an alarming loss of form has wiped out his campaign.

And the natural order will be restored.

Why would Spurs be obliged to compensate us for our mistakes in the transfer market?

We'll probably have to pay him to leave. The same goes for Poulsen, Jovanovic and Konchesky.

Meireles aside, last summer's transfer activity was disastrous.

Guest TesticleOReilly
Why would Spurs be obliged to compensate us for our mistakes in the transfer market?

There are still stupid people out there (like 'arry "ooo, he's ever so good" Redknapp) who think that, at 53 years of age, Cole still has potential. Someone will buy him, and for a decent fee.