You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It's an easy programme to watch on a superficial level and laugh at the freak show, but it's actually really disturbing. They said half of all gypsies don't live to the age of 50. They've probably all beaten each other to death in bareknuckle fights or succumbed to exhaustion brought on by cleaning 22 hours a day in a 20 stone frock, but it's still a sobering thought.

If the US believe they have the right to invade Middle Eastern countries and force democracy and freedom upon them, then they must also have a strong argument for invading these travellers sites.

that would make a great film.....

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

race (rās)

noun

any of the different varieties or populations of human beings distinguished by a) physical traits such as hair, eyes, skin color, body shape, etc.: traditionally, the three primary divisions are Caucasoid, Negroid, and Mongoloid, although many subdivisions of these are also called races b) blood types c) genetic code patterns d) all their inherited characteristics which are unique to their isolated breeding population

the state of belonging to such a population

the qualities, traits, etc. belonging, or supposedly belonging, to such a population

loosely

any geographical population

any population sharing the same activities, habits, ideas, etc.

any group of people having the same ancestry; family; clan; lineage

rac·ism n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

If the above is correct and race can be determined by geographical populations sharing habits, activities and ideas, then these gypsies are indeed a race and any discrimination based upon that heritage or life style is indeed racist...

I said on Facebook last night that I find it ironic how half the people watching it and laughing about it are in fact scum. Half the north of England is comprised of jobless pissheads with tribal tattoos, shaven heads, a love of MMA and fat orange birds - yet they're watching this and somehow feeling good about themselves. Baffling.

At least try and disguise the fishing rod before you get it out

I said on Facebook last night that I find it ironic how half the people watching it and laughing about it are in fact scum. Half the north of England is comprised of jobless pissheads with tribal tattoos, shaven heads, a love of MMA and fat orange birds - yet they're watching this and somehow feeling good about themselves. Baffling.

You mean ironic in an alainis morrisette kind of way? Because she nailed it with that song.

Ther are a few gypsies in Australia,although nowhere near as many as in Europe.

There were a couple of gypsy families living in the same caravan park who had been having some sort of extended feud about some shit,tarmaccing franchise rights or something.

They were all on the drink and having a big argument one day when one of them uttered what was later described in court as "the worst insult one gypsy can offer another".The other family piled into him with machetes,knives and axes and chopped him to death,resulting in murder charges for about half a dozen or so.

The insult that allegedly provoked them to murder was "I hope your daughter marries a Scotsman."

For fuck"s sake.

As far as I remember from my days as a union rep, in england and wales they are classed as a race. This "race" includes romany gypsys, romas, and travellers of various origins- (hence the politically correct term 'gyprats') even though they have no common ancestry. Scotland does not recognise travellers as a race. Similarly, Ireland, the irish travellers country of origin, does not recognise them as a seperate race, and non travellers of irish origin are not considered a race. The only real advantage of classing them a race is that they are exempt from the hunting with dogs legislation, meaning you can chase them with as many dogs as you like.

The program claimed in the coming up next week bit that 'Racism towards gypsies was rife'.

Earlier in this thread someones stated that the Gypsies were not a race of people like say affro carribeans, but if Jews qualify as a race then Gypsies must have a good shout. The program certainly thinks they do.

So are they a race or not?

Not sure myself

I pretty sure that under Equalities legislation they are counted as a race, or minority at least.

I went on a Gypsies and Travellers Equalities course a while back. Ill try and dig it out tomorrow if I have the time.

They were granted ethnic minority status a couple of years ago, I can't find the article i read at the time, i'm sure it was in the indi, but here's one from the RCN

However legal recognition for the ethnic minority status of these various groups has differed across the UK. Case law established Gypsies as a recognised ethnic group in England in 1989 (Commission for Racial Equality v Dutton) and Irish Travellers, already protected by race relations law in Northern Ireland, were recognised as a distinct ethnic group in England and Wales in 2000 (O'Leary v Allied Domecq). In October 2008 K MacLennan v Gypsy Traveller Education and Information Project (CaseCheck Case Reports 2008.) led to a landmark ruling that Scottish Gypsy/Travellers are a distinct ethnic group bringing them within the protection of the Race Relations Act (Amnesty International UK Blogs 2009). In Wales the Welsh Assembly Government has a general duty to ensure equality of opportunity for all people without reference to membership of specific groups.

Gypsy and Traveller communities - RCN

I'm finding it more repulsive to watch as each week goes by, i've not watched last nights yet but i'm still baffled as to how some behaviours towards their children is not counted as abuse, if any other ethnic minority behaved in such a way there'd be a mass outcry.

I'm finding it more repulsive to watch as each week goes by, i've not watched last nights yet but i'm still baffled as to how some behaviours towards their children is not counted as abuse, if any other ethnic minority behaved in such a way there'd be a mass outcry.

Melons, surely (sorry- shirley) you dont consider reality television a fair and impartial way to observe and form opinions on a matter?

Ther are a few gypsies in Australia,although nowhere near as many as in Europe.

There were a couple of gypsy families living in the same caravan park who had been having some sort of extended feud about some shit,tarmaccing franchise rights or something.

They were all on the drink and having a big argument one day when one of them uttered what was later described in court as "the worst insult one gypsy can offer another".The other family piled into him with machetes,knives and axes and chopped him to death,resulting in murder charges for about half a dozen or so.

The insult that allegedly provoked them to murder was "I hope your daughter marries a Scotsman."For fuck"s sake.

What kind of sick fuck would wish that on someone ?? fucking horrible, horrible thing to say, getting butchered was too good for the cunt who said that.

There used to be a pack of gypsies who would come around my way and have like a little fair with a few rides and a bouncy castle.

Over the course of one weekend there were bikes nicked, wallets pinched, women spat at, 4 fights, 1 broken arm and 11 arrests.

As a youth I thought it was the greatest thing ever and I thought the mayhem they caused brought some much needed excitement to our shit village. That was until a pack of them started on me for absolutely no reason and threatened to kick fuck out of me if I didn't give them my jacket.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I ran away as fast as I could and hid in somebody's garden. They were no more than a foot away from the wall and they were raging wondering where I'd gone and threatening my life if they found me. Proper shit me up it did. I was convinced they'd track me down and fuck my house up or something as the village was so small.

I wont call all gypsies scumbags though. A few of them were sound and you can't go through hating groups just because you had a bad experience with a few of them.

Melons, surely (sorry- shirley) you dont consider reality television a fair and impartial way to observe and form opinions on a matter?

No, of course i don't. It's the patriarchal bull shit line that riles me, then conditioning a child to believe that it's the way of the world is bang out of order, no matter your race or religion.

But on to the subject, isn't it common knowledge for the general educational attainment to be lower then other ethnic groups? For children to leave school at younger ages? I know i'm probably way off the mark in some people's opinions, but why is it ok for official services to step in and interfere in other cultures and not in gypsy?

Oh and whilst on the siblings assisting in raising siblings... only yesterday it was reported a woman was cautioned for leaving her 14 year old child in charge of his 3 year old brother.

• 1 year later...