You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Peter Drury

Mendoza

I thought it was amusing the way Neville kept saying that the match was flat, on and off the pitch, and neither of them were able to follow it up with "exactly like Jürgen Klopp said would happen if the cunting broadcasters shift the kick-off time to ten minutes after the teams get their players back together".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I've said it before but I would love to have the option of just the crowd noise like Prime do  instead of the hysterical shrieking that most of them come out with , I suspect that they never will because they know that most people would use it , rendering the commentator redundant. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tj hooker said:

I've said it before but I would love to have the option of just the crowd noise like Prime do  instead of the hysterical shrieking that most of them come out with , I suspect that they never will because they know that most people would use it , rendering the commentator redundant. 

That option was available today, just press mute and bobs your uncle.

1 hour ago, Tj hooker said:

I'm quite deaf, so tuning out the commentary is quite easy for me. I certainly haven't hard a word Carragher Neville or Richards have said for quite some time

Wearing a bit thin on me now. Seems to have his script pre prepared and will do anything to get his little puns out there. I’m sure he was trying to get band names and songs mentioned today. You don’t want to be a poor man’s Sam Matterface. 

The love in for that Doku was embarrassing as well. They hoofed the ball clear for him to chase onto late 2nd half and he misjudged the bounce then got stupidly fouled without touching the ball. 

Drury - he’s such a delight isn’t he 

1 hour ago, Tj hooker said:

Sky actually used to have it when they brought their digital boxes out but the twats got rid of it.

Ian Darke was much better than Tyler before he just did the boxing. Tyler was that bad.

5 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Definitely been trained up by the sky phrasebook over the summer

Yes, it was quite striking the change in his approach since he moved to Sky. The thing you want from commentators is some kind of perspective - especially for the first goal. I mean, where do you go after the first goal if you over-hype it that much? He shrieked like Tyler when they scored today. It was a shite goal by any perspective. After that you could almost sense the still-sane part of him thinking, 'God, I hope there won't be any more goals, because I'll have to summon up Freddie Mercury levels of camp excitement to describe them!' 

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I watched it with no sound and enjoyed it overall. A good result,a nice cup of tea and biscuits and no hyperbole at all.

I usually do that after a few minutes, once I've heard what they're like. I miss hearing our fans, that's the thing, but I just cannot stand the endless drivel. But it's not just the commentary - it's the direction, too. I honestly cannot believe why few others get pissed off with it, but the direction is crap. These days, a keeper can make a save, bowl the ball out and it's in the other penalty box about eight seconds later. Now that's a basic fact. Yet they still show the keeper make a save, and then go straight to multiple replays. You know the ball is already back in play, and yet they're still gambling that there's no goal at the other end while they go to the second or third angle of the replay. THAT is why watching on tv is so stressful these days. You literaally miss larrge chunks of really key moments of action.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

I usually do that after a few minutes, once I've heard what they're like. I miss hearing our fans, that's the thing, but I just cannot stand the endless drivel. But it's not just the commentary - it's the direction, too. I honestly cannot believe why few others get pissed off with it, but the direction is crap. These days, a keeper can make a save, bowl the ball out and it's in the other penalty box about eight seconds later. Now that's a basic fact. Yet they still show the keeper make a save, and then go straight to multiple replays. You know the ball is already back in play, and yet they're still gambling that there's no goal at the other end while they go to the second or third angle of the replay. THAT is why watching on tv is so stressful these days. You literaally miss larrge chunks of really key moments of action.

Or they pan over to some knobhead in the crowd or one of the managers while the ball is in play.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, aws said:

Or they pan over to some knobhead in the crowd or one of the managers while the ball is in play.  

Yes. But the replays really need cutting. The coverage generally responds to changes in the game, but as far as replays are concerned it ignores the fact that the sheer pace has increased. There's just no time these days for lazy replays of banal scuffed or shanked shots. Wait until there's a break in play, or, better still, wait until half time. I don't want to watch two or three replays of a crap attack when I can hear via the crowd sound that we're already off on an attack. I just don't get why they think anyone thinks that's a good idea.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

1 hour ago, aws said:

Agree with the consigliere here, the replays are at least of some interest, but why the fuck would I want to see an extended close up of some player looking grumpy or annoyed when the ball is back in play, this is far worse and increasingly frequent throughout the game. I get positively Evertonian shouting at the screen when this happens, beyond infuriating. Like GKMacca says, I don't understand why more people aren't annoyed about this.

A few years back BT sport seemed to have designed a solution for both of these scenarios where they do the picture in picture so normal people can watch the ball in play whilst whatever weirdoes want to look at someone's reaction for 15 seconds straight can look in the little screen. But then mysteriously they seemed to have dropped it.