You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Peter Drury

Mendoza

Ha, the man who unified TLW!

As someone has already stated, they all want their Wolstenholme moment, missing the point entirely; that was spontaneous. Old Ken, especially in those sedate times, couldn't possibly have known there would be a pitch 'invasion' and yet he came up with that despite or maybe even because England were on the verge of winning the World Cup.

Same as Coleman in 74; Keegan 2 Heighway 1, Liverpool 3 Newcastle 0. All that needs is a beatbox!

Every time these clods yeowl out something clueless you know it's from a prepared sheet, thus actually forsaking the essence of sport; surprise and spontaneity.

Is there anything in life television doesn't fuck up?

May I make a suggestion gents.

Put the sound on mute, and put 5Live on the radio.

Your anger and hatred will be soothed.

Well, no, it won't be, because the sound won't be in sync and there'll be loads of extraneous details discussed. And people shouldn't have to go to any length just to watch a match on TV without being irritated. Next you'll be telling people to get an old black and white TV set and hold the aerial out the window to get a decent picture!

Well, no, it won't be, because the sound won't be in sync and there'll be loads of extraneous details discussed. And people shouldn't have to go to any length just to watch a match on TV without being irritated. Next you'll be telling people to get an old black and white TV set and hold the aerial out the window to get a decent picture!

Well it was my next suggestion for those that didn't update from analogue to digital.

I've found if you use 5Live from the website as opposed to the radio, it's pretty much in sync. However with the digital radio the tv is about 3 seconds ahead.

When it's like that, I like to think of it like matchdays on here, when people are watching streams, and they could be 5 minutes behind and someone posts goal, then the person 5 minutes is all agitated because they've not seen it yet. All part of the experience.

Well it was my next suggestion for those that didn't update from analogue to digital.

I've found if you use 5Live from the website as opposed to the radio, it's pretty much in sync. However with the digital radio the tv is about 3 seconds ahead.

When it's like that, I like to think of it like matchdays on here, when people are watching streams, and they could be 5 minutes behind and someone posts goal, then the person 5 minutes is all agitated because they've not seen it yet. All part of the experience.

• 5 months later...
you don't remember Gerald 'Stretford End' Sindstat's "Is the party over" remarks?

Gerald was a fucker for trying to sex up kick off on a friday. It was after we got knocked out of europe by forest, jonny mathis singing while showing us going out. he didn't half regret it later co's he got a dogs life and later apologised. He was a good 'un really though. No malice, not like the baiting bastards nowadays. John Champion pisses me off more than most.

Gerald was a fucker for trying to sex up kick off on a friday. It was after we got knocked out of europe by forest, jonny mathis singing while showing us going out. he didn't half regret it later co's he got a dogs life and later apologised. He was a good 'un really though. No malice, not like the baiting bastards nowadays. John Champion pisses me off more than most.

he did seem to show as much excitement watching Blackpool v Bolton as he did the Mancs...so ok!

He's a fucking tit him.

He actually burnt my head out when I was watching the Spurs game and he called Kyrgiakos 'the piratical Greek.' My head was on the verge of being cabbaged thanks to some of the things that David Pleat was coming out with next to him, but that comment just finished the job off.

I think every commentator nowadays has the ability to piss me off. Even somebody as seemingly inoffensive as Simon Brotherton would have that effect, but I hardly ever watch MOTD these days so it hasn't reached that stage yet.

It's a little bit better with Radio 5 Live. Because I try to watch our games online if I can't catch them on TV (or at the match) I don't listen to the radio much any more. From memory though, they do have the best co-commentators/match analysts in people like Graham Taylor. And of course the absolute utter total legend that is Jimmy Armfield. He may be long in the tooth, but when he speaks, you listen. Very Paisley-esque.

I think every commentator nowadays has the ability to piss me off. Even somebody as seemingly inoffensive as Simon Brotherton would have that effect, but I hardly ever watch MOTD these days so it hasn't reached that stage yet.

It's a little bit better with Radio 5 Live. Because I try to watch our games online if I can't catch them on TV (or at the match) I don't listen to the radio much any more. From memory though, they do have the best co-commentators/match analysts in people like Graham Taylor. And of course the absolute utter total legend that is Jimmy Armfield. He may be long in the tooth, but when he speaks, you listen. Very Paisley-esque.

Spot on Trumo.

Loved it when Wilkinson was England manager & got a bag on in a press conference & said ' Anyway how many caps have you bastards got '

& Jimmy Armfield offers quietly from the back ' I've got 43 Howard - Why ? '

• 12 years later...