You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Broughton responds to criticism of Rafa’s departure

StevieH

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when does a chairman of LFC consider the media when making decisions or use the media opinion as a way to vindicate a decision?

If they are going to appoint Dalglish then why haven't they done it by now? He wants the job, the majority of fans want him in the job and the sooner they make a decision, surely the better for everyone, especially the supporters.

The only reason i carnt see him getting the job is ,maybe theres new owners on the way and want there own man in,either way you can look at gerrard and torres as how the future is going to pan out,if they stay i think we might have good news

The Rafa-haters on here (and yes they are still obsessively at it) will do anything to satisfy their lust for his blood even to the extent of justifying policies and practices of Hicks and Gillet that were carried out by their hand-picked agents on the Board. In the immortal words of the News of the World, they want to "cut them some slack".

It's not a coincidence that one of Bascombe's most slavish admirers and defenders on here throughout the last 18 months has been Juan Galonso who today has tried to find another way of "cutting them some slack".

Cutting through his own brand of sanctimonious bullshit, it is clear that Juan Galonso is driven predominantly by the maxim "The enemies of Rafa are my friends".

He adopts the pose of a reasonable rationalist even while he (and some of his Rafa-hating cronies on here) construct their arguments on the false premises that Rafa was sacked.

It is probably true that if Rafa had decided to stay H & G would have continued to act in a way that courts would later be able to define as constructive dismissal. In other words, Rafa's lawyers would have been in a position to argue that the routine incursion into Rafa's sphere of responsibility, especially by Purslow, and the constant briefing of the press against him by Purslow and other directors, the owners failure to fulfill material conditions which they promised Rafa at the time of his contract negotiations, and their constant reversal of financial commitments made to him with respect to players contracts and transfers - all these would constitute breach of contract and/or constructive dismissal and would have entitled Rafa to full compensation. As it happens, Rafa decided not to go that route. Instead he demanded release from his contract with partial compensation for their breaches of contract. That is what "mutual consent means".

On the specific issue of what Broughton said in his e-mail. He did not refer to Rafa's sacking but to his "release" from his contract.

I take the view that Broughton was wrong to make that remark about the press - it was entirely inappropriate from a Chairman of a Board, showed bad judgment and a lack of understanding that does not augur well for the club.

Do all the propositional analysis you want, put this into the broader context and the theme is obvious. So much so that he explicitly made a connection between the manager's sacking and the media response.

Fuckinell. Is that another one you 'picked out of your ass'?

So, without the original mail to broughton, you can successfully determine he (broughton) made the explicit connection between the sacking and mdeia response?

Get to fuck. You're filling in the gaps with your agenda to come to your result.

Broughton I can be less harsh on, he is supposed to be a non executive chairman responsible for the sale of the club and that's it. He should not have been within a million miles of the decision making process to sack Rafa. In fact why on earth is he at the club when it was Purslow's mamndate to do exactly what Broughton has been asked to do?

As for Purslow...... don't get me started. The man is everty bit as worse as Hicks & Gillett. He's a snake in the grass and some his acts as supposed CEO beggar fucking belief.

I apoloigse for labelling you John as a scum fan, i know fucll well you have your heart in the right place, i just think in recent times your head has been misguided somewhat. Please please john don't let your dislike of rafa mask the problems still ongoing at Liverpool. We are in a right fucking mess, we can't even agree who should be the next manager (this is at boardroom level). They all have to go and imo they are all enemies of LFC

Why is Purslow every bit as worse as Hicks and Gillett? I'm not saying that he is necessarily a good thing for Liverpool FC, it's just that I have yet to see any evidence at all why he should be bad for the club.

The thing about how Broughton's arrival is seen as evidence that Purslow haven't done his job is a gross overinterpretation in my opinion. None of us know how many good bids, Purslow brought to the Yanks' table. We just know that they haven't accepted any. And it is probably not beyond the realms of the possible that they might be a bit greedy...

For all we know - and that is actually my guess on the situation - it could be Purslow through his city links that have recommended Broughton for the role of chairman when the banks grew impatient? I don't know, but again I find it fairly plausible.

So far we are pretty much guessing. And forming definite opinions on the back of guess work and insider hearsay from sources with huge vested interest in how this situation is seen by the fans is not the right way to go about this.

Let's take a look at what we KNOW has happened while Purslow has been managing director:

- A manager who underperformed vastly for a season has been sacked

- There has been coming young, English talent to the club (the likes of Shelvey and Sterling - anyone remember how well Parry did with Walcott and Ramsay?)

- Kenny Dalglish has been brought back to the club

- Commercial revenue keeps improving

- The club has not been sold

- He has been sitting in on press conferences

The latter two are the ones that are brought up again and again. As I said above, he didn't have authority to sell the club, only to bring prospective buyers to the table.

With regards to the press conferences he might very well have acted a bit of a media horny tit - mostly in the beginning of his time as MD, I believe - and he might very well be just that. That does not make him a snake on par with the leveraged buyout thieves that have brought the great club to it's knees.

I could well be wrong, but I'd like to see some actual evidence before I subscribe to the notion that he is no good.

• 4 months later...
John at times your so fuckin naive!!!

Whats Broughton doing at the Club in the 1st Place?

Wasn't Purslows job to sell/find investment?

This is same Purslow that told us he'd have investment by Easter.

The Club being run are by FINANCE MEN,who haven't a fuckin clue about football,Dalglish is now reported to be at odds with Purslow.

Purslow will favour Hodgson over Dalgish,because Dalglish will stand up to him and that little poisonous Cunt couldn't handle another Rafa situation.

Get your head out of the sand,Purslow would sell Torres and Gerrard in a heartbeat for a £100m and give Hodgson £50m to go and find replacements, and then try and convince the masses that we spent OUT usual budget.

I know your a decent Red, banter aside WAKE FUCKIN UP !!!!!!

Durango on the money as ever.

Good work Broughton. He has shown that he is a top businessman and a serious professional. It has taken a man of that sort of stature to get rid of G&H (spurious damages claims notwithstanding).

As for Hodgson, he is not a top manager. But then again, at the time of his appointment, we weren't exactly shopping at the best places either. He should have been a 'safe pair of hands' to keep us ticking along, while more important off pitch stuff was resolved. (At 18th in the league it is obvious that even that sort of basic requirement has not been met thus far).

Now that things look to be sorted off the pitch, we should expect Hodgson's position to come under scrutiny. As ever, results will be a significant factor. I expect NESV will make their ownership official, be welcomed at the derby, sort out their own board, and then by that time will have had a better look at Hodgson to assess if he is the man to spend the money in January and beyond, and to take us where we need to be.