You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hermes

Wenger is an excellent manager in fact he is probably more suited to managing Liverpool than any other candidate, if Rafa was to leave. However in the real world it is like picking your best ever world eleven only happens on computer consoles. Wenger has a lot of faults and whines like a pubescent girl at times also I'm pretty certain he would not have worked under the conditions Benitez has endured.

Continuity and sound people in the boardroom have been part of Arsenal and Uniteds success, last time I checked the club has been up for sale ever since Rafa got here. It doesn't excuse the poor season we have had but deserves another chance to put it right in my view.

Are we proposing Wenger replace Rafa? I just don't understand the fascination.

People are getting at the fact Wenger is treated like a demi-god whilst Rafa is mostly ridiculed.

If someone questions Wenger people churn out the following:

Yeah but he changed the face of english football

yeah but he made players eat grilled brocolli

yeah but he made players do strectches.

Their style sugar coats everything as their results are not that great.

Rafa has done better than Wenger since Rafa arrived and that is what Rafa is being judged on - today's football climate.

It of course means fuck all but that is what people are getting at imo.

If someone questions Wenger people churn out the following:

Yeah but he changed the face of english football

yeah but he made players eat grilled brocolli

yeah but he made players do strectches.

yeah but he won 3 English titles in 6 years and deserves some slack

You missed one.

There's a large section of their support very fed up with wenger so you might be surprised.

no I wouldn't. Because not one of them would swap Wenger for Benitez. Not one.

There might be some who may well want rid of Wenger, but not a single one of them would chose Benitez as his replacement.

Ask them if they'd swap Benitez record with Wenger's over the last five years.

A European Cup win - they'd take your arm off.

Part of the problem for us is that we've won it five times and some of our fans now take it for granted.

Hardly anyone mentions the fact that Benitez got us back through to another European Cup final anymore.

That's because we;re Liverpool and we lost, so it counts for nothing. If we're counting finals that you lost as honours then Everton would probably be the most successful club in England, not Liverpool.

We also lost because of his bizarre team selection in the first place imo, but that's another story.

That's because we;re Liverpool and we lost, so it counts for nothing. If we're counting finals that you lost as honours then Everton would probably be the most successful club in England, not Liverpool.

We also lost because of his bizarre team selection in the first place imo, but that's another story.

In one.

Just imagine what Rafa can do with a budget like Arsenal's...

Depends how you want to use the figures available...Wenger in his time at arsenal has spent £26m on players, rafa 84m.

so rafa spent 58m more on transfers.

over the 6 years that benitez has been here wenger has spent roughly £15m per season more on wages.

so wenger has spent 90m more on wages.

so wenger has actually spent £32m more than Rafa.... :whistle:

Wenger is an excellent manager in fact he is probably more suited to managing Liverpool than any other candidate, if Rafa was to leave. However in the real world it is like picking your best ever world eleven only happens on computer consoles. Wenger has a lot of faults and whines like a pubescent girl at times also I'm pretty certain he would not have worked under the conditions Benitez has endured.

Continuity and sound people in the boardroom have been part of Arsenal and Uniteds success, last time I checked the club has been up for sale ever since Rafa got here. It doesn't excuse the poor season we have had but deserves another chance to put it right in my view.

I often wonder, if Dein were still around whether he would have had some success in convincing Wenger to be a bit more pragmatic than he has been which IMO has cost them big time.

Who treats him like a demi-god? I'm with RiS on this subject.

Many do. I think if he plays wonderful football but has fundamental weaknesses.

He actually has money to spend and it amazes me that he doesn't. He could have cleared up if he bought world class ready made players or ones who are nearly there rather than kids.

Him and Mowbray have failed lately even with their nice football!

Many do. I think if he plays wonderful football but has fundamental weaknesses.

He actually has money to spend and it amazes me that he doesn't. He could have cleared up if he bought world class ready made players or ones who are nearly there rather than kids.

Him and Mowbray have failed lately even with their nice football!

Exactly. This year Arsenal paid down their debt by 100m and still have 100m cash sitting in the bank earning 3% interest. No wonder board members are getting pissed with Wenger trying to claim they have no money and by implication that they aren't supporting him. It's a vanity project on his part, pure and simple.

As I said maybe Dein was the Yang to Wenger's Yin.

Exactly. This year Arsenal paid down their debt by 100m and still have 100m cash sitting in the bank earning 3% interest. No wonder board members are getting pissed with Wenger trying to claim they have no money and by implication that they aren't supporting him. It's a vanity project on his part, pure and simple.

Or it's just unbelievably shrewd, frugal and careful management, making Arsenal cash-rich and giving them an incredibly strong, financially secure future whilst most other clubs are pissing money away hand over fist?

I doubt there's a single board member who's pissed off with having £100m in the bank, if that's even true. Not when they could still win the league, having barely spent on players in recent years!!

That's a ridiculous notion, frankly.

I'd say that the board of Arsenal are absolutely delighted with Arsene Wenger's mingebagness.

Or it's just unbelievably shrewd, frugal and careful management, making Arsenal cash-rich and strong financially a secure future?

I doubt there's a single board member who's pissed off with having £100m in the bank, if that's even true. Not when they could still win the league, having barely spent on players in recent years.

I'd say that the board of Arsenal are absolutely delighted with Arsene Wenger's mingebagness.

Yay! Wenger won the "shrewd, frugal and careful management" trophy this year and last. Hurrah! I wish we had a manager that could compete for the "Balancing the Books" trophy.

Yay! Wenger won the "shrewd, frugal and careful management" trophy this year and last. Hurrah! I wish we had a manager that could compete for the "Balancing the Books" trophy.

I think thats the long term plan. Thats why Rafa wanted to control the academy

Ultimately, this should be the long term goal, producing our own stars. Thats why we hired those Barca coaches, didn't we?

Hoping for a billionaire to come and splurge a couple of hundred million with absolutely no hope of seeing any returns is not a practical solution.

Arsene Wenger has not failed at Arsenal. It takes a really strange view on things to say that a man who has built teams to win doubles, go through a whole season unbeaten and played some of the best football the game has seen has been a failure. He's been hitting par in the league recently by, generally, mixing it with us for third place. He'd have to be dissapointed to see Benitez come in and finish above him in the league given that he had years of time already invested in the club and a slight financial advantage but this season is proving that he's far from a spent force. If Benitez had to go I'd have him here in a flash. I'm telling you now that we'll do very well to get someone as good as him.

I had a City fan today telling me football was all about winning stuff. A city fan! What the fuck have they been going to the game for thirty years for then?