You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Liverpool Manager

StevieH

Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?

Managerial Credentials

Deschamps 41

Honours

Player

1998 FIFA World Cup winner

Chevalier (Knight) of the Légion d'honneur in 1998[6][7]

Euro 2000 winner

Champions League winner: 1993, 1996

Intercontinental Cup winner: 1996

European Super Cup winner: 1996

Ligue 1 winner: 1990, 1992

Serie A winner: 1995, 1997, 1998

Coppa Italia winner: 1995

Italian Super Cup winner: 1995, 1997

FA Cup winner: 2000

Youngest captain to lift the Champions League trophy

Manager

Monaco

1 × French League Cup: 2002–03

1 × UEFA Champions League Finalist: 2003–04

Juventus

1 × Serie B: 2006–07

Marseille

1 × French Ligue 1: 2009–10

1 × French League Cup: 2009–10

Frank Rijkaard 47

Coaching philosophy and style

As a coach, Frank Rijkaard's essential philosophy is to guide his team towards playing attack-minded football as a cohesive unit. In doing this, he believes a team can achieve the dual objectives of winning games and ensuring the audience's enjoyment of the spectacle. This follows in the best coaching traditions of Rijkaard's countrymen and forebears Rinus Michels and Johan Cruijff. In this light, it is notable that Michels coached both Cruijff and Rijkaard during their respective participations with the Dutch national team, and that Cruijff himself went on to coach Rijkaard. Nonetheless, Rijkaard believes in working within a contemporary football context and is not out to imitate the styles and tactics of past masters. In his own words:

“ ...you gain many impressions from the past. You still have it in your mind when you become a coach, and if something happens you can recall how it was dealt with. But I strongly believe that you cannot copy anyone. The decisions that a great coach made years ago will not necessarily work today.[9] ”

Rijkaard has evidently learned to curb the quick temper of his playing days and is often a portrait of calm and stability in training and along the touchline. He rarely courts controversy in the media and is more apt now to promote a positive environment and let his team's play speak for itself when faced with intense rivalry or criticism.[10]

The tactics used during his tenure as manager of Barcelona best exemplify Frank Rijkaard's commitment to playing stylish attacking football. During the team's 2004–05 and 2005–06 campaigns, the coach frequently fielded a 4-1-2-2-1 formation, a system which encouraged the creativity of the players in the front third of the field and created optimal interplay between the midfielders and forwards during attacks. Within this system the four defenders also tended to play in a relatively high position on the pitch to support the midfield which frequently advanced to participate in the attack. The team generally focuses on maintaining possession in the opponents' half of the field, applying pressure in order to force the opposition to make errors in defense and offensive counter-attacking.

With regards to man-management and motivation, Rijkaard rejects the notion of a "star system" and promotes the idea that every one of his players is a valuable member of the team.[11] He rarely praises one individual over another in the squad, although he has been known to acknowledge the outstanding contributions of a player within the context of a team performance.

Honours

Player

Ajax

Dutch League 1982, 1983, 1985, 1994, 1995

Dutch Super Cup 1993, 1994

KNVB Cup 1983, 1986, 1987

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup 1987

UEFA Champions League 1995

Milan

Italian League 1992, 1993

Italian Super Cup 1988, 1992

European Cup 1989, 1990

European Super Cup 1989, 1990

Intercontinental Cup 1989, 1990

Netherlands:

UEFA European Football Championship 1988

As manager

Barcelona

UEFA Champions League 2005/06

La Liga 2004/2005, 2005/06

Supercopa de España 2005, 2006

The Netherlands

UEFA Euro 2000

Semi-finalist

Individual

Dutch Footballer of the Year: 1985, 1987

Serie A: Best foreign player 1992

UEFA Manager of the Year: 2005-06

UEFA Team of the Year for Best Coach of the Year : 2006

IFFHS World's Best Club Coach: 2006

Onze d'Or Coach of the Year: 2006

Don Balón Award Coach of the Year in La Liga: 2005, 2006

Roy Hodgson

Honours

Halmstads

Swedish football champions 1976, 1979

Allsvenskan 1976, 1979

Malmö FF

Swedish football champions 1986, 1988

Allsvenskan 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989

Svenska Cupen 1985–86, 1988–89

Copenhagen

Danish Superliga 2000–01

Danish Super Cup 2001

Fulham

LMA Manager of the Year 2010

UEFA Europa League Finalists 2010

Manuel Pellegrini

Manager

Universidad Católica

Copa Interamericana: 1994

Copa Chile: 1995

LDU Quito

Serie A: 1999

San Lorenzo

Primera División: 2001 Clausura

Copa Mercosur: 2001

River Plate

Primera División: 2003 Clausura

Villarreal

UEFA Intertoto Cup: 2004

Individual

Miguel Muñoz Trophy for the Best Coach of the Year: 2008

Kenny Dalglish

Playing honours

Celtic

Scottish First Division

Winner(4): 1971–72, 1972–73, 1973–74, 1976–77

Runner-up(1): 1975–76

Scottish Cup

Winner(4): 1972, 1974, 1975, 1977

Runner-up(1): 1973

Scottish League Cup

Winner(1): 1975

Runner-up(5): 1972, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1977

Liverpool

Football League First Division

Winner 1978–79, 1979–80, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86

Runner-up 1977–78, 1984–85, 1986–87

FA Cup

Winner 1986

League Cup

Winner(4): 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984

Runner-up(2): 1978, 1987

Charity Shield

Winner(5): 1980, 1981, 1983, (Shared): 1978, 1987

Runner-up(2): 1984, 1985

European Cup

Winner(3): 1978, 1981, 1984

Runner-up(1): 1985

European Super Cup

Winner(1): 1978

Runner-up(1): 1979

Intercontinental Cup

Runner-up(2): 1982, 1985

Managerial honours

Liverpool

Football League First Division

Winner: 1985–86, 1987–88, 1989–90

Runner-up: 1986–87, 1988–89

FA Cup

Winner: 1986, 1989

Runner-up: 1988

Football League Cup

Runner-up: 1987

Charity Shield

Winner: 1988, 1989

Shared: 1986, 1990

Blackburn Rovers

FA Premier League

Winner 1994–1995

Runner-up 1993–1994

Football League Second Division Play Off 1991–1992

Charity Shield Runner-up 1993-94, 1994–95

Newcastle United

FA Premier League

Runner-up 1996–97

FA Cup

Runner-up 1998

Celtic

Scottish Premier League

Runner-up: 1999–00

Scottish League Cup

Winner: 2000

P 588 W 322 D 148 L 118 win % 54.76

Managerial awards

1985–86 Manager of the year award

1987–88 Manager of the year award

1989–90 Manager of the year award

1994–95 Manager of the year award

P 588 W 322 D 148 L 118 win % 54.76

Rest of the World

Soccer Aid

Winner: 2010

Awards

Scotland: 30 goals in 102 international caps (both national records)

PFA Players' Player of the Year 1983

Football Writers’ Association Player of the Year 1979, 1983

Inaugural Inductee to the English Football Hall of Fame, 2002

Member of the Scotland Football Hall of Fame

Member of the FIFA 100

Freedom of the City of Glasgow 1986

Sven-Göran Eriksson

Club managerial honours

Göteborg

Svenska Cupen Winners 1979, 1982

Allsvenskan Champions 1982

UEFA Cup Winners 1982

Benfica

Portuguese Liga Champions 1983, 1984, 1991

Cup of Portugal Winners 1983

SuperCup Cândido de Oliveira Champions 1989

European Cup Runners Up 1990

UEFA Cup Runners Up 1983

Roma

Coppa Italia Winners 1986

Sampdoria

Coppa Italia Winners 1994

Lazio

Coppa Italia Winners 1998, 2000

Italian Super Cup Winners 1998, 2000

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Winners 1999

UEFA Super Cup Winners 1999

Serie A Champions 2000

UEFA Cup Runners Up 1998

England

FA Summer Tournament Winners 2004

Managerial statistics

Career stats

P 851 W 445 D 228 L 178 Win % 52.29

Wasn't the rather offensive line put out about Pellegrini that "he didn't impress in a meeting"? I'd take that to mean "he expected a decent salary" and/or "he expected a transfer budget worthy of the name" and/or "he looked like he wouldn't take our shit"...

Firstly, repped.

Secondly, Hodgson came back because his work was done in SA. My assumption is that he was only on the BBC panel because he had some scouting to do and they heard he would be out there.

i think he still works on uefa's technical committee, i would imagine that was the main purpose of his visit.

Whoever gets it, I hope when Purslow sits there at the press conference I hope Tony Barrett and Co really hijack the event to air all the criticisms people are making of what's happening to the club.

The problem is, mate, that what's happening to the club isn't actually the fault of Purslow. Or Broughton. Or Roy Hodgson. Or Rafa Benitez last season.

What's happening to the club is the fault of two men in America. Yet we squabble and fall out and rush to blame everyone else - witness the recent vitriolic campaign against Purslow led by respected people like Jim Boardman - whilst all the time it makes no difference. The two owners are the only problem at this club.

You've got the British Press saying it's Hodgson, with Sky saying nothing, now the French come out with this.

No one seemingly knows who is going to be our manager.

Which leads me to believe that if we don't have a manager by 5 pm Friday next week, we're getting taken over.

There is no reason for this to be taking so long.

The problem is, mate, that what's happening to the club isn't actually the fault of Purslow. Or Broughton. Or Roy Hodgson. Or Rafa Benitez last season.

What's happening to the club is the fault of two men in America. Yet we squabble and fall out and rush to blame everyone else - witness the recent vitriolic campaign against Purslow led by respected people like Jim Boardman - whilst all the time it makes no difference. The two owners are the only problem at this club.

Spot on.

As u know there are plenty of explayers and coaches out here for the world cup and one of the common stories from one of the players is that Hodgson will be announced next week and altho' Yossi is close to signing for Chelsea Arsenal have made a last minute approach. Could all be a load of bollox tho'

Of course there is.

For starters our potential new manager might be at the world cup. If it is Hodgson he has only just returned from South Africa.

They are taking their time and I think it is right, as they need to get the correct man and the new manager can't do much yet, as the transfer window hasn't even opened yet and most of our players and potential targets are at the world cup.

Which leads me to believe that if we don't have a manager by 5 pm Friday next week, we're getting taken over.

Apart from the incompetence from the real problem at this club that you were warned about.

Broken glass, crawling etc etc.

You've got the British Press saying it's Hodgson, with Sky saying nothing, now the French come out with this.

I would say if we don't have a manager by 5 pm next Friday it's because no right minded manager will come to a club that is in crises.

Why would Dechamps come here when he has just won the French league, and why would Roy come here, cause as has been made obviouse the fans don't want him as they see it as a step down.

Do you not think that Roy's agent may not have looked at the forums and gauged the mood for him comming here? I think they may very well have done and advised him against it.

At this rate we're going to end up with Ian Dowie, he is the kind of manager that comes to a club in crises.

I don't think we'll have any problem attract Dechamps, Hodgson etc.

Liverpool FC is still a huge step up from their current jobs and attractive challenge, despite our problems.

I don't think we'll have any problem attract Dechamps, Hodgson etc.

Liverpool FC is still a huge step up from their current jobs and attractive challenge, despite our problems.

Why would Deschamps leave Marseille?

He is God there, won them a double, their first piece of silverware (any silverware) since 1993 and their first title since 1992, automatically qualified for the CL, passionate (and united) fans, some money to spend.

Why would he come here?

I'd love him to come, I think he is a great manager, but it will not happen.

Spot on.

Well, with all due respect, it's not quite spot on. Culpability extends from the primary to the secondary protagonists. You don't put an arm around those who were only following orders just because the big boss has gone (or is going). Purslow deserves a serious investigation into his actions (and inactions).

Of course there is.

For starters our potential new manager might be at the world cup. If it is Hodgson he has only just returned from South Africa.

They are taking their time and I think it is right, as they need to get the correct man and the new manager can't do much yet, as the transfer window hasn't even opened yet and most of our players and potential targets are at the world cup.

I understand where you're coming from, but i have to disagree. Hodgson may only just be coming back from South Africa, but that doesn't explain why he was not contacted prior to leaving these shores.

As for there not being much a manager could do during the world cup, given the nature of the modern game, tapping up etc which will likely be going on even during the competition, every day that we don't have a man at the helm increases the likelihood that the players on international duty (i.e our best) lose a little more confidence in the notion that Liverpool as a club is heading in the right direction. Being on international duty isn't stopping numerous Bartca players from courting Fabregas and i doubt it'll stop those wanting a word in our players' shell-likes.

I commend the idea of taking time to find the right man for the job, but every moment that the position is vacant erodes confidence in the club and makes us that little bit more of a joke to other fans, which pains me greatly.

1.Pellegrini/Rijkaard

2.Deschamp

3.Dalglish

-----

---

-----

Sven.

I don't want Hodsgon at all, realistically I'd want Either of the top (big names/attractive football) But I'd also like Deschamp he is a young manager and could build a legacy at the club (having managed a few clubs so far though it seems he is more of a mover)

i think he still works on uefa's technical committee, i would imagine that was the main purpose of his visit.

Quite possibly, or maybe he was just out for punditry and had to come back because he has to prepare for Fulham's pre-season.

1.Pellegrini/Rijkaard

2.Deschamp

3.Dalglish

-----

---

-----

Sven.

I don't want Hodsgon at all, realistically I'd want Either of the top (big names/attractive football) But I'd also like Deschamp he is a young manager and could build a legacy at the club (having managed a few clubs so far though it seems he is more of a mover)

To be honest with you, with this toxic boardroom and the Yanks in charge, I struggle to see how even Shanks could have made his legacy in modern football.:(

In a small way I kind of like the idea that nobody knows whats going on. Thats the way it should be with LFC.