You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Liverpool Manager

StevieH

Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?

I can't see Rafa wanting to go with the prospect of new money. If a deal or two fall through in the next couple of months then maybe he will go, or maybe he'll be pushed (I doubt it considering the money). I wouldn't be surprised to see Nicol replace him tbh, I doubt they'd spend on a Pep, MoN or Jose.

Mourinho now favourite to go the Mancs. It's all up in the air and with the age of Ferguson and the likelyhood of Benetiz leaving, so the transfer merry-go-round will keep the bookies and press speculating on everything.

Each paper will say all the main contenders are going to the Mancs/Us, so when a change happens they will just reference one of their stories with the "We told you first" headline.

It's mainly all educated guesswork.

Mourinho now favourite to go the Mancs. It's all up in the air and with the age of Ferguson and the likelyhood of Benetiz leaving, so the transfer merry-go-round will keep the bookies and press speculating on everything.

Each paper will say all the main contenders are going to the Mancs/Us, so when a change happens they will just reference one of their stories with the "We told you first" headline.

It's mainly all educated guesswork.

Benitez'll stay, as will the whiskey bitch, the special needs one will win the title with Inter and then fuck off to Madrid. A further 5 quid to the HJC if I'm wrong about any of this.

It's stuff like this that has me dreaming of a managerial change...

RAFA: EXPECTATIONS WERE TOO HIGH

Posted 19/04/10 09:01

Rafa Benitez has suggested that Liverpool were never likely to mount another title challenge this season.

Liverpool look unlikely to even claim fourth spot after a poor season characterised by injuries and missed chances, and Benitez believes that too much was expected of his side after last season's second place.

"At the beginning of the season *expectations were too high," he is quoted in The Daily Mirror as saying.

"That is normal after such a good season.

"But I always say the same - the Premier League is the Premier League and the *difference in money is so big that if you want to stay at this level for a while, you have to do almost everything perfectly.

"That's not easy when you push and push because sometimes you cannot keep the players working so hard or at the level they were in the previous season.

"During pre-season we also had players coming back late and then we had injuries. We've had seven, nine or 11 players out at the same time in different months, players who would normally be starters.

"We can talk about mistakes, but when you have so many players injured, especially key players, it is not easy to sustain a level of *performance every week."

Anybody read the shite Rafa is spouting today, "it was unrealistic for us to expect to win the title, as its all down to money", well Rafa the mancs lost 2 of there best players as did Arsenal both had shit load of injuries but there still in at the end, were gona be fighting for 7th with Everton, the man is a fuckin clown and the sooner the better his mate Hicks fucks off and a decent owner see's through him and sacks him, lets see how long you last at Juventus playing and having the team performing the way we are this season, 7TH apologists fuckin 7th!

Rafa Benitez says it was unrealistic to expect Liverpool to the win the Premier League this season - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Rafa Benitez has suggested that Liverpool were never likely to mount another title challenge this season.

Liverpool look unlikely to even claim fourth spot after a poor season characterised by injuries and missed chances, and Benitez believes that too much was expected of his side after last season's second place.

"At the beginning of the season *expectations were too high," he is quoted in The Daily Mirror as saying.

"But I always say the same - the Premier League is the Premier League and the *difference in money is so big that if you want to stay at this level for a while, you have to do almost everything perfectly.

"That's not easy when you push and push because sometimes you cannot keep the players working so hard or at the level they were in the previous season.

"During pre-season we also had players coming back late and then we had injuries. We've had seven, nine or 11 players out at the same time in different months, players who would normally be starters.

"We can talk about mistakes, but when you have so many players injured, especially key players, it is not easy to sustain a level of *performance every week."

He honestly treats us like fools..

He said the same thing a few months ago, well Gulliem Balague did but we all know were he got his info, and yes in a way he has a point, expectations were maybe too high about winning the league, but we should still be in the top 4 with champions league football next season and not lying 7th in the league. He can blame injuries all he wants but like already mentioned Man Utd and Arsenal have lost key players this season and it hasnt bothered them too much. Rafa would be best keeping quite sometimes unless he's looking for the sack.

Anybody read the shite Rafa is spouting today, "it was unrealistic for us to expect to win the title, as its all down to money", well Rafa the mancs lost 2 of there best players as did Arsenal both had shit load of injuries but there still in at the end, were gona be fighting for 7th with Everton, the man is a fuckin clown and the sooner the better his mate Hicks fucks off and a decent owner see's through him and sacks him, lets see how long you last at Juventus playing and having the team performing the way we are this season, 7TH apologists fuckin 7th!

Rafa Benitez says it was unrealistic to expect Liverpool to the win the Premier League this season - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Another reason why i think will never win the premier league under rafa

Injuries can not be excused for the performances against Reading, a team at the time struggling in the Championship.

Going to places like Wolves and playing to try and catch them on the break again can not be blamed on injuries.

The mancs lost Ronaldo and Tevez in the summer and whilst Rooney has been superb for them this season its the ethos of the manager that whoever they are playing they will nine times out of ten attack all game normally results in 3 points.

People call the mancs lucky due to all the late goals they score but we used to be the same and the reason for that is they don't settle for 1 point when they feel they can get 3.

When we're not playing well, I'm all in favour of hunkering down and saying as little as possible, even if there are valid excuses. It will always sound as if we're trying to justify shiteness. If the manager needs to take the pressure off players at some points, fair enough, and if he needs to build up the confidence of certain players and defend them, then fair enough. But even if injuries have/had played a part, this doesn't help, it just sounds like making excuses.

Guest davelfc

I totally agree with you coop, giving lower, struggling teams too much respect, basically treating Reading, Portsmouth, wolves etc like they are Barcelona has made up my mind he should go.

There's no excuse for those games, none at all. We've been a tonic for shit teams all season because we approach them in the wrong manner. That's the managers fault.

I can forgive injuries, finances and flukes. Plus every team has an off day or faces a team that just hit a purple patch. But Rafa isn't learning, he's getting worse.

I don't doubt he will get another season, time will tell if that's a good decision. Personally I hope he turns it around but I'm not confident he knows how to.

Injuries can not be excused for the performances against Reading, a team at the time struggling in the Championship.

Going to places like Wolves and playing to try and catch them on the break again can not be blamed on injuries.

The mancs lost Ronaldo and Tevez in the summer and whilst Rooney has been superb for them this season its the ethos of the manager that whoever they are playing they will nine times out of ten attack all game normally results in 3 points.

People call the mancs lucky due to all the late goals they score but we used to be the same and the reason for that is they don't settle for 1 point when they feel they can get 3.

Spot on - see following article on how United pass their way to late goals, no flukes but incessant pressure..Manchester City v United: Why Paul Scholes' late goal was no fluke | Daniel Taylor | Sport | The Guardian

I don't remember anyone saying they expected us to win the league. The expectation was to challenge for it.

And the minimum expectation was to be able to go to places like Portsmouth, Wolves and Wigan and come away with maximum points and maybe even play some good football in the process.

If we were in Arsenal's position having been in with a shout of the title in April his job wouldn't be under so much scrutiny.

Liverpool do not have the fear factor which for teams such as Man United and Chelsea means they have more or less got the 3 points before kick off.

How many times do you hear the statement 'why do teams lay down for Man United yet raise their game and have a go at us'.

The answer to this is quite simple, they think they can beat us as we are unlikely to take the game to them whilst the mancs they know will attack them from the off.

Im fed up of this controlling the game shite which means nothing if at the end of the game like against Fulham we have a 0-0.

Other then Torres and Gerrard i doubt the opposition manager gives a toss about any other player so they know stop Gerrard getting the ball and put a couple of players on Nando and job done unless of course either player produce a moment of magic.

We have one system of playing and that is to pass the ball around in defence before passing it out wide then back into the centre before back to the defence who will launch upfront hoping Torres will latch on to it.

We have little creativity out wide and other then Gerrard noting either in the centre which is why our best performances tend to come against teams who come at us and allow us to frustrate them before catching them on the break.

Spot on - see following article on how United pass their way to late goals, no flukes but incessant pressure..Manchester City v United: Why Paul Scholes' late goal was no fluke | Daniel Taylor | Sport | The Guardian

At least all those late wins helps Mother Nature do her job, as this quote from Baconface proves:

"You have to go with the flow. They will take you right to the wire. They will wait until the last minute while I'm on the bench having three heart-attacks and contorted with stomach pains."

Yes, yes we can, and believe me we will. Do you honestly think you can kid the sane amongst us with this whining shite?

I never expected even a title challenge this season, never mind a title win, but I do agree that Rafa needs to shut up here and stop giving the press ammunition to have a go. As has been said, yes we have been very unlucky to lose Torres for so long, as well as Gerrard and the awful early defensive performances. Of course had Utd lost Rooney for the same time we’d have lost Torres, then Chelsea would already be champions and Utd would be battling it out for 4th. But that doesn’t excuse the terrible insipid performances that we’ve seen far too many times this season against the likes of Reading. And Rafa takes the lions share of the blame for this. I also think the players have to take some responsibility, but the buck stops with the manager.