You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Liverpool Manager

StevieH

Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?

And to you, those 3 words appear to absolve him of everything.

Of course it doesn't. It just points out that he is aware that he has made mistakes and comments like "he's blaming everyone but himself" are nonsense.

Thing is, he keeps making the same mistakes and not learning from them, 2 holding midfielders every game, no sub until the clock reaches a certain time, dud signings etc.

He keeps making the same mistakes like dud signings, that's boss that. How dare he not get it all spot on!!

He doesn't play 2 holding midfielders every game but I can't be arsed debating that.

Of course it doesn't. It just points out that he is aware that he has made mistakes and comments like "he's blaming everyone but himself" are nonsense.

And you expect everyone to fall for this? Did he come out and say 'yes, the mistakes I made were these'? No, he just said 'I made mistakes' big deal.

Saying you make mistakes without saying what those mistakes are is pretty much ducking the issue

He keeps making the same mistakes like dud signings, that's boss that. How dare he not get it all spot on!!

Quaint! You'll be saying he's had no money next or that ferguson and wenger have signed duds. Frankly, I dont give a toss about ferguson or wenger. But benitez is supposed to be a manager capable of winning titles on a budget (and we all know that's bullshit, dont we?) and his fans claim he hasnt had money. Only, its not money now is it? Its Macia's problem not scouting the players properly.

Excuse after excuse after excuse.

He doesn't play 2 holding midfielders every game but I can't be arsed debating that.

Oh yeah, the famous TLW forum precision. I'll rephrase it specially for you. He plays two holding midfielders in the majority of games.

And you expect everyone to fall for this? Did he come out and say 'yes, the mistakes I made were these'? No, he just said 'I made mistakes' big deal.

Saying you make mistakes without saying what those mistakes are is pretty much ducking the issue

Yeah, how silly of me. He should come out and say exactly were he went wrong. That'll deffo help the situation out immensely wouldn't it.

Quaint! You'll be saying he's had no money next or that ferguson and wenger have signed duds. Frankly, I dont give a toss about ferguson or wenger. But benitez is supposed to be a manager capable of winning titles on a budget (and we all know that's bullshit, dont we?) and his fans claim he hasnt had money. Only, its not money now is it? Its Macia's problem not scouting the players properly.

Excuse after excuse after excuse.

No point me arguing this if you apparently know what I'm gonna say next is there? Shite, you probably knew I was gonna say that didn't you? Ah well.

Oh yeah, the famous TLW forum precision. I'll rephrase it specially for you. He plays two holding midfielders in the majority of games.

I wasn't actually being that pedantic. Your powers of knowing what I'm gonna say obviously don't turn into getting the meaning of points do they?

Anyway, what I actually meant was that Lucas and Mascherano, given they've probably played more games in the middle than anyone else this season, isn't 2 holding midfielders.

In the same way that last season Alonso and Mascherano weren't 2 holding midfielders. In fact given how much they get forward we probably played more towards this argument last season than we have this season. Funny how it never really appeared last season ain't it.

Yeah, how silly of me. He should come out and say exactly were he went wrong. That'll deffo help the situation out immensely wouldn't it.

It would clarify where he thinks the mistakes were made. Im no more expecting him to give the full details than you are but there's a medium ground between 'I made mistakes' and saying exactly as you pedantically suggest.

No point me arguing this if you apparently know what I'm gonna say next is there? Shite, you probably knew I was gonna say that didn't you? Ah well.

If you're happy making yourself feel inferior or inadequate, that's up to you. I dont profess to be a mind reader though.

I wasn't actually being that pedantic. Your powers of knowing what I'm gonna say obviously don't turn into getting the meaning of points do they?

Actually, your first response indicates you were being pedantic. I didnt suggest he states all the mistakes he made just that he gives more info than 'I made mistakes.'

And I've said before, I havent a clue what you're gonna say next. Your reasoning is too off the wall for anyone to attempt that.

Anyway, what I actually meant was that Lucas and Mascherano, given they've probably played more games in the middle than anyone else this season, isn't 2 holding midfielders.

You see there you go again. To all intents and purposes, masch and lucas play as holding midfielders cos they certainly dont produce anything of note for a defensive midfielder and creative midfield partnership.

In the same way that last season Alonso and Mascherano weren't 2 holding midfielders. In fact given how much they get forward we probably played more towards this argument last season than we have this season. Funny how it never really appeared last season ain't it.

I cannt fucking believe you believe this. That's a complete and utter joke.

Carry on, do.

I cannt fucking believe you believe this. That's a complete and utter joke.

Carry on, do.

Which bit?

I don't remember many debates last season that Alonso and Mascherano wasn't right as both was 2 holding midfielders and that Gerrard needs to be put in there.

As for the rest of what I've said it's true. Lucas does get forward far more than Alonso and Mascherano is the constant being here for both years.

If you wanna argue there isn't enough creavtiveness in a midfield 2 of Mascherano and Lucas then I'd agree with you and I don't think you'd find many that'd argue this. But you brought up the issue of holding midfielders.

i could give a fuck if we play attractive football or not, if it meant we could win the title, i'd take someone that would play route 1 football.

all this attractive football nonsense is code word for we want to win playing pretty football. well, i want to win, and i don't give a fuck what kind of football we play.

Which bit?

I don't remember many debates last season that Alonso and Mascherano wasn't right as both was 2 holding midfielders and that Gerrard needs to be put in there.

As for the rest of what I've said it's true. Lucas does get forward far more than Alonso and Mascherano is the constant being here for both years.

If you wanna argue there isn't enough creavtiveness in a midfield 2 of Mascherano and Lucas then I'd agree with you and I don't think you'd find many that'd argue this. But you brought up the issue of holding midfielders.

The difference being, Alonso could take hold of the game/ retain possession/ pass forward more than 5 yards. As a holding midfielder, Alonso offered much more. I do take your point about Lucas, though, as he is impressive when allowed to be a box-to-box player 9which is rare).

Edited by Jarvinja Ilnow
my stupidity

Guess we'll find out when Rafa slinks off to Juventus mumbling about selling a sofa and buying himself a lampshade.

Damn worrying - manager with good rep out (and face it- even though many think he is terrible for LFC every major continental team seems to think he is good) and some stop gap or lower rep manager in. Ownership unsettled, limited transfer funds available and no CL.

Those offers Torres, Masch, Gerrard and the other top class players we still have will receive will start to look very hard to resist.

Mark Lawrenson column: Liverpool have gone backwards under Rafa Benitez... it's time for Kenny Dalglish to take the reins - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Liverpool’s season has been a disaster and I fear the consequences will mean years outside the elite of the ­European and English games.

They are now just an ordinary team with a few extra-special players.

And without ­Champions League football to offer their biggest stars – Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard – or the prospect of investment to revive the challenge next season, vultures will soon be picking over the carcass of a ­desperately poor campaign.

Worse still, a Liverpool win against Chelsea this weekend could help Manchester United win their 19th title and ­overtake the Scousers’ record haul of championships.

I am sure they’ll be going all out for a win, but it would be no surprise if Liverpool looked demoralised after their Europa League semi-final defeat. However, there are bigger issues to worry about right now than losing records to United.

They are not going to finish fourth. Look ahead to this time next year and there is no ­guarantee Liverpool will be in the top four then either.

The other worst thing for Anfield fans to stomach will be if Manchester City finish fourth. City are building a team and paying the wages.

If City get fourth they could win the league within a couple of years. Man U and Chelsea will always be up there, and Arsenal are on the up too.

So how do Liverpool get back into it? That is why they are at such a crossroads. With no Champions League football what does Gerrard do? What does Torres do? They now have an excuse to leave.

They can afford it. If that happens you just think: “Oh my God.” It is inevitable City will try to buy the both of them.

Stevie G does not need an excuse. He has been Mr ­Liverpool for years and has been fantastic. In recent games you look at him and he is looking around shaking his head thinking: “What are we doing?”

Torres? People say he is loyal, but I have heard City will go seriously for both of them. So what happens next?

Rafa Benitez will go. He has his exit strategy ready. If Juventus want him Benitez should cut a deal with ­Liverpool.

When asked the question on Thursday night about what the future held why didn’t he say he was looking ahead to who he could bring in. Why on earth would you say the next two games are the future.

That is dodging the issue.

It is down to the negotiations between Liverpool and Benitez. From what I believe Benitez’s contract is watertight in terms of the payment he would get if he was sacked.

Can a deal be done that says “Rafa, thanks but no thanks” and then the club can move forward?

They have to say it is not working. I have quite liked Benitez, but that is now six years and you have to ask whether they are any better off now than when he took over. No. Nowhere near.

What about new owners? We could have them in six months. But six months eats into next season and it misses the August transfer window.

Liverpool are fortunate Kenny Dalglish is around. He could take the reins for a few months and into next season.

The irony is that Roy Hodgson would be the perfect fit for Liverpool. He would make the team difficult to beat but he also understands the other end of the operation that wins you games. With Benitez the glass was half-empty but with Hodgson it is half-full.

This season has been ­disastrous. There have been so many poor decisions relating to the team. Take one: Glenn Johnson, good full-back, but £17-18million? You could have kept Alvaro Arbeloa, say to him “you are not going to Madrid, you are staying”, and go off and use the money to buy another striker.

If Torres is injured David Ngog should not be starting and leading the line in a one-up-front situation. That has been the most fundamental and basic mistake Benitez has made all season.

Dirk Kuyt is an honest hardworking player but he doesn’t run past anyone and Ngog is inexperienced.

People on Merseyside ask: do you throw more money at it? No. Benitez has wasted an awful lot. He has signed some poor players in the £10m-£11m category.

So I think Benitez will go. Who comes in? Who would be ­available with what little money there is to spend? With the Americans wanting out, how do you attract a new manager?

How would you go to Fulham and get Hodgson on those terms? That is where King Kenny comes in.

He would be a ­galvanising figure who has been there and done it. I would be surprised if he said no.

You know what? There should be a ban for all things Mark Lawrenson. (No disrespect StevieH because you posted this.) This guy is beyond belief, he has absolutely no substance in anything he has to say and is a complete and utter fool. How he makes a living off his uneducated spiel is amazing. I hope one day before I die I get to tell this man how much of a twat he is to his face.

End of rant.

If Rafa does go to Juventus and the club isn't sold within the next 6 months, then appointing Dalglish as caretaker manager in the interim is probaly the way forward in the short-term.

It would unite the club and he could step aside when/if the club is sold, thus allowing new owners to appoint their own manager.