You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A German manager, the way forward?

Code

Doomed to fail as long as we have people like Carra or Gerrard barking about foreigners and wanting a cuddle for turning up to training.

Yeah, because that's how it is.

Christ alive our fans are fucking thick these days.

I dont care what nationality they are,except English and as long as they are good managers with a record of success and want to be at a club for a long period of time.

Apart from Kenny,who has said his only real aim was to stabilise the club,I dont think we should ever appoint ex managers either.

Well we couldnt cos Ged's got a dodgy ticker anyway.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If we could get them, and this is just an 'ideal', I'd like to see Klopp as manager and Michael Zorc to fill the DoF role, with David Dein in as CEO.

I think we'll stick with Kenny.

He didn't suffer this Polish journo fool gladly, a la Kenny? - only English one I could find.

[YOUTUBE]zfbB6kQcTM4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Hahaha, that was great, I can only imagine his contempt is that much better speaking his native language as well, too bad I don't know German.

I don't know much about Klopp aside from him making Dortmund into a force to be reckoned with but I'd take him just for the way he'd bash the journos in England after that.

As I've said time and again though, I think barring something we don't yet know Kenny see's out his contract here before we look for a new manager.

• 3 weeks later...
Surely we can't wait til then?!! Klopp maybe.

He could always be confirmed to be our manager after the Euros now.

It would be stupid to rule him out just because he is about to take germany to another final in a big tournament.

• 8 months later...
Guest San Don
Klopp is a good shout as German footie is chock full of young talent and a madman,an intelligent one though,like Klopp could help bring a few here.

Loew,does he have club experience or is it all international?

We made noises about Klopp after the King was sacked. He didnt appear interested. I gather at least one other PL club may be interested but again, if rumours are to be believed, he wants to stay at dortmund.

I think most if not all Loew's experience is with the national team. Might be wrong on that though.

I think, in view of our history, tradition, and appointing from within, we might do well with a club legend, and I would seriously consider x players who have stepped up to the coaching role. I notice your opening post here, was 2010. Obviously, sitting alongside Sascha Lewandowski at Bayer Leverkusen now, is big Sami Hyypiä, as the previous poster typed.

Now Hyypiä, is only just into his coaching work, but he looks promising by all accounts, and seems to have the team on the 'up'. I didn't realise, but there was a rumour going around that we tried to get Sami back here during Hodgson's term, and it got me thinking - what if he came back, as a successful coach, and maybe Carra and / or Stevie G assisted in the background, at some point in the future? I find that exciting to think about.

Managerial success has little to do with nationality, and everything to do with character and experience.

The trick with managerial appointments is to anticipate what a manager may be capable of achieving, not what they have already achieved.

Perception and reality can be different. With Hodgson, quite reasonably, we thought that we were getting a safe pair of hands with more than enough football experience to handle the job, but he froze. In Kenny we thought we were getting one of the managerial greats, instead we got a man ten years out of time. In Rodgers we think we have a bright up and coming manager with a great football philosophy- time will tell.

It is surprising that more German managers have not worked here. Nationally their footballing culture is clearly successful, domestically their league is strong, they understand northern European footballing culture , they are not afraid of the rain and cold, and share our humour. Didi Hamann is someone who with a few more jobs behind him could be an intriguing future prospect.