You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That team we had, the fact we should have won the league that season, it's like getting 5 numbers on the lottery.

You wonder if it's ever going to get better than that.

Ah well, maybe next season.

Perfect way to put it.

I always ask myself how I'd really feel in that situation. On one hand you should be pretty happy because your $5 dollars (max) just turned into about $200,000 or so. On the other you pretty much know now that you'll never win it all and that your best chance had just passed.

Fortunately for the football club, it's not all about luck.

He played us like a fiddle.

It shows how far we've fallen that we accept / forgive it so readily.

I don't wish him ill, but I don't wish him well at all. That Champions League "dedication" (which was anything but...) was about as sincere as his badge kissing.

I wonder how much it would cost us to bring back Mascherano and Alonso.

Mascherano wouldn't come back. The circumstances behind his departure dictate that.

Alonso, i think, wants to come home. Being past 30 now his transfer fee would be £5m-£10m i imagine, but there's no way the owners would sanction a transfer with no resale at all. Plus the wages. He must be on £150k a week at Real.

Love him, proper passionate south american, one of those who if you put your faith and trust in would fight all the way with you, but if you cross him or feed him bullshit like i think we did, would fuck you off no question.

Miss his one man wrecking missions.

Also remember against Inter Milan at home in the champions league where he must have ran about 70 yards across the pitch to take the ball off javier zanetti with a fucking great tackle, and the centenary all stood up like a goal had gone in.

We had some proper men on the pitch in those days too, Mascherano, Kuyt,Agger,Reina,Skrtel, Gerrard all got in peoples faces when it needed to be done. We look powderpuff these days.

You've named 6 players there, the last 4 of which are still at the club.

I was a huge Mascherano fan too. I can't remember him ever NOT giving 100% on the pitch. Even in his final match before leaving, he was giving it the beans. For many Liverpool fans, the issue with him centres around the fact that he decided to pull out of that Man City game at such sort notice that it fucked up the preparations for that game, all because he didn't want to jeopardise a potential move by picking up an injury.

You've named 6 players there, the last 4 of which are still at the club.

I was a huge Mascherano fan too. I can't remember him ever NOT giving 100% on the pitch. Even in his final match before leaving, he was giving it the beans. For many Liverpool fans, the issue with him centres around the fact that he decided to pull out of that Man City game at such sort notice that it fucked up the preparations for that game, all because he didn't want to jeopardise a potential move by picking up an injury.

I still think there is more to come about the Torres and Mascherano situations.

I have a feeling promises were made to both players that were'nt kept.

Very strange the fall out to both.

Remember a few years ago every second thread title was something like 'Who would you replace in the summer - Mascherano or Alonso?'

Fucking hell, talk about not knowing what you've got until it's gone.

It was around the time when we were booed. At home. For drawing and going a point clear at the top of the league.

Against West Ham in 2008/09. About the same time people were grumbling (if not exactly booing) every time Lucas came onto the pitch. That season, if we'd been able to turn just two of the too many home draws into wins, the title was ours. If.

Fans are - often rightly - proud of playing their role as the Twelfth Man. Well, that season, there was fuck all wrong with the squad or the manager. The paying spectators failed to act as supporters - and it probably cost us the title.

(Please direct all Negs to the address at the top of this post.)

Against West Ham in 2008/09. About the same time people were grumbling (if not exactly booing) every time Lucas came onto the pitch. That season, if we'd been able to turn just two of the too many home draws into wins, the title was ours. If.

Fans are - often rightly - proud of playing their role as the Twelfth Man. Well, that season, there was fuck all wrong with the squad or the manager. The paying spectators failed to act as supporters - and it probably cost us the title.

The first time I heard our manager referred to as "that fat Spanish cunt" was after this very game. I was standing outside the Arkles where I used to meet my mates after the game when a bloke was screaming it at the top of his voice. He was a big lad, but still it was telling that there were no dissenting voices that I could hear.

You'd like to think he was a part-timer no mark. But the truth is, you're right Angry. He was probably a regular.

Disgusting.

Within a year we had the ART stuff.

Best fans in the world etc.

What a load of sad revisionist bullshit. Supporters were grumbling because they saw we were about to lose a title we should've been winning.

Even if that was true, and it blatantly isn't as the match in question took place in December, some fucking "support" that is.

They were acting like entitled spoilt cunts.

Guest San Don

Great little player but he engineered a move away on his terms.

People can believe whether he went on strike, refused to play or that he was promised the previous season he would be allowed to move on before the next, I dont care. But, the saga leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.