You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I simply love Dirk Kuyt.....YEAH THATS RIGHT!!!

WhiskeyJar

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you are in the trenches looking to your right and seeing a man like Dirk is inspiring. Looking to your left and seeing Robinho would fill you with dread. We're in the trenches as a club right now. Carry on Sergeant Kuyt!

Love you for you professionalism, you heart, your belief, your will to win, your 100% every game despite your limitations and your love and respect for your club and your teamates.

You know what, Shanks would have loved him.

I don't know why anyone bothers coaching kids about movement off the ball when this thread has made it clear that if you're shit enough the ball will just fall at your feet and you'll score goals. We need to train kids to be as shit as possible and then they'll just magically be in the right place for chances.

Also, Tom Ross in "not knowing difference between a striker and a wide player in a 4-2-3-1 shocker". If you won't budge from the idea that he's "shit" when he's scoring more goals than Rooney, Van Persie and Adebayor from, mostly, a wide position then don't be surprised if your opinion isn't taken seriously. He's far from world player of the year but shit players don't get man of the match for about five games running towards the end of a Champions League run, scoring important goals along the way.

Guest PurpleNose

Very good movement off the ball, excellent work rate, usually good decision maker inside the penalty box (picking a pass if a player is in a better position, unlike most players).

Like to see him played as a second striker, only wide right if Johnson or Degen are at rightback. Can't have him and Carra on the same flank.

Happy to have him as a squad player. Probably would ideally like to see him play 30/35 games per season in all competitions.

He's clearly not fucking shite. Why would Holland keep picking him as well?

We seem to have an increasing number of players who don't track back, who shit out of tackles, and essentially bottle it when the going gets tough. Kuyt isn't one of those players. So, for now, I'm happy to see him play.

Second striker?

They usually have a superb eye for a pass, ala Bergkamp.

Or extremely skillful, like Zola.

Some are all rounders such as Rooney, who has many strings to his bow.

Kuyt doesn't have the touch, the quality on the ball or creativty to play that important position.

Also, Tom Ross in "not knowing difference between a striker and a wide player in a 4-2-3-1 shocker". If you won't budge from the idea that he's "shit" when he's scoring more goals than Rooney, Van Persie and Adebayor from, mostly, a wide position then don't be surprised if your opinion isn't taken seriously. He's far from world player of the year but shit players don't get man of the match for about five games running towards the end of a Champions League run, scoring important goals along the way.

I give up.

Please post the numbers you are using to back this up Stu because from what I can understand its a load of shite.

Without doing too much research we can compare Kuyt and Rooney from the same competitions, the CL, the FA Cup, the CC and the PL.

Stats Kuyt vs Rooney vs Van Persie:

09/10: 31-8 vs 27-19 vs 14-8

08/09: 49-14 vs 46-17 vs 42-20

07/08: 48-11 vs 42-18 vs 22-9

06/07: 48-14 vs 55-23 vs 31-13

Not once have Kuyt scored more than Rooney and that with Rooney playing his fair share out wide as well and pleas dont let us look at the assists stats as well, that will deffo not look good.

Edit- Included Van Persie as well.

Edited by Code72

Guest PurpleNose
Second striker?

They usually have a superb eye for a pass, ala Bergkamp.

Or extremely skillful, like Zola.

Some are all rounders such as Rooney, who has many strings to his bow.

Kuyt doesn't have the touch, the quality on the ball or creativty to play that important position.

Not in a 4-2-3-1. I'd agree. But I'd like to think if we played 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 then we'd have enough creativity in the midfield.

Very few players are as good as Bergkamp and Zola were. Or Rooney is.

Where would you rather see him play? If at all.

The full comparison in all its glory, just for Stu Monty and whoever told him that fairytale above.

In his defense I dont believe he found those numbes himself for one second, but he has probably been to lazy to check them out.

Stats Kuyt vs Rooney vs Van Persie vs Adebayor:

09/10: 31-8 vs 27-19 vs 14-8 vs 15-6

08/09: 49-14 vs 46-17 vs 42-20 vs 34-15

07/08: 48-11 vs 42-18 vs 22-9 vs 47-29

06/07: 48-14 vs 55-23 vs 31-13 vs 43-12

When you are in the trenches looking to your right and seeing a man like Dirk is inspiring. Looking to your left and seeing Robinho would fill you with dread. We're in the trenches as a club right now. Carry on Sergeant Kuyt!

Love you for you professionalism, you heart, your belief, your will to win, your 100% every game despite your limitations and your love and respect for your club and your teamates.

You know what, Shanks would have loved him.

I'd prefer a marine, or a massive fucking gun. Fuck having a footballer, the shithouses would run off.

I loved Code's 'fact' he's scored them all from up front. If he says it over and over again it becomes true.

I said most of them and I have posted the break down on here earlier.

Maybe some search wizard can dig them out.

I give up.

Please post the numbers you are using to back this up Stu because from what I can understand its a load of shite.

Without doing too much research we can compare Kuyt and Rooney from the same competitions, the CL, the FA Cup, the CC and the PL.

Stats Kuyt vs Rooney vs Van Persie:

09/10: 31-8 vs 27-19 vs 14-8

08/09: 49-14 vs 46-17 vs 42-20

07/08: 48-11 vs 42-18 vs 22-9

06/07: 48-14 vs 55-23 vs 31-13

Not once have Kuyt scored more than Rooney and that with Rooney playing his fair share out wide as well and pleas dont let us look at the assists stats as well, that will deffo not look good.

Edit- Included Van Persie as well.

I got them from the official site of the Premier league, where it clearly states the league goals, were as follows last season:

Kuyt - 12

Rooney - 12

Van Persie - 11

Adebayor - 10

As I've gone back to check them I've noticed the glaring error that Rooney actually got the same amount as him, so that's my error and I'll hold my hands up to that. Turns out he got more two more assists than Rooney aswell so that kind of does look well for him.

Code, don't try and patronise me, get to a point where someone on the site, anyone, takes you seriously before you start getting fucking shirty with me about being lazy.

Edited by Stu Monty

I got them from the official site of the Premier league, where it clearly states the league goals, were as follows last season:

Kuyt - 12

Rooney - 12

Van Persie - 11

Adebayor - 10

As I've gone back to check them I've noticed the glaring error that Rooney actually got the same amount as him, so that's my error and I'll hold my hands up to that. Turns out he got more two more assists than Rooney aswell so that kind of does look well for him.

Code, don't try and patronise me, get to a point where someone on the site, anyone, takes you seriously before you start getting fucking shirty with me about being lazy.

I was certainly not patronising you, but your stats were piss poor, thats all.

I'd prefer a marine, or a massive fucking gun. Fuck having a footballer, the shithouses would run off.

In a real trench obviously I'd prefer the airbourne guys from Easy company who held the line at Bastogne, and lots of guns and maybe a dirty bomb or two. In a metaphorical trench (i.e. LFC right now) I'd look to characters like dirk. But I take your point, a modern day footballer would be in his hummer and over the hills. As would I.

By piss poor you mean right apart from one mistake with Rooney, but other than that bang on, don't you?

Like I said, in a discussion where you use goals scored compared to other players as a measure of quality without taking into account the difference in games played and started then thats some really poor way of using stats.

Kuyt: 38(36+2) - 12 goals - 1 goal every 3,00 starts.

Rooney: 30(25+5) - 12 goals - 1 goal every 2,08 starts.

Van Persie: 28(24+4) - 11 goals - 1 goal every 2,18 starts.

Adebayor: 26(21+5) - 10 goals - 1 goal every 2,10 starts.

Especially when you look at the overall numbers and both the overall and the specific numbers from the PL the last 4 seasons.

Kuyt comes out short in every way you look at it when it comes to goals scored compared to the players you mentioned in a valid comparison.

Where would you rather see him play? If at all.

I think he's best on the right, but I'd have him on the bench, as I think in Maxi, Benayoun, Johnson and Gerrard we have four other better options in that position.

This is why I'd sell him in the summer, we need funds to improve the squad, we could get 10-15 million for Kuyt which could be spent on a left winger or another striker.