You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Howard Webb

RobbieOR

Some Evertonian like posts on here.

Maybe, usually I'd agree. But Webb's performances have been consistently horrendous when refereeing us, to the point where it now no longer surprises me when he gets a stonewall decision incorrect.

If this prick is the country's best referee then there are massive massive problems.

Maybe, usually I'd agree. But Webb's performances have been consistently horrendous when refereeing us, to the point where it now no longer surprises me when he gets a stonewall decision incorrect.

If this prick is the country's best referee then there are massive massive problems.

He is just a shit ref and imcompetent no matter who he refs most of the time, he isn't a biased ref.

He wasn't as bad as people are making him out to be today. We lost to a better side. Why can't people just accept that and concentrate on our own failings which have been very evident in 90% of the games we have played this season despite who the ref has been?

He is just a shit ref and imcompetent no matter who he refs most of the time, he isn't a biased ref.

He wasn't as bad as people are making him out to be today. We lost to a better side. Why can't people just accept that and concentrate on our own failings which have been very evident in 90% of the games we have played this season despite who the ref has been?

No, he's not "just a shit ref", and his contribution isn't irrelvant either, Juan.

Things would be much different now if he hadn't have joyfully pointed to the spot instead of taking the time to consult and reflect. It was outside the box.

We had started well. By the end they were probably better than us, but not by much.

Goals change games and all that.....

That's not to ignore how poor we've been this season. But if things like that moment in that game had have been judged differently, then the hysteria on this thread wouldn't be here for a start. We may have won that game, and things would look very different on the back of the previous two games.

Rafa would have been a tactical genius for a start, instead of everything he's been called on here.

No, he's not "just a shit ref", and his contribution isn't irrelvant either, Juan.

Things would be much different now if he hadn't have joyfully pointed to the spot instead of taking the time to consult and reflect. It was outside the box.

We had started well. By the end they were probably better than us, but not by much.

Goals change games and all that.....

That's not to ignore how poor we've been this season. But if things like that moment in that game had have been judged differently, then the hysteria on this thread wouldn't be here for a start. We may have won that game, and things would look very different on the back of the previous two games.

Rafa would have been a tactical genius for a start, instead of everything he's been called on here.

I think your spot on there mate. The mancs didnt dominate us, they had a few half chances, no penalty and that game would have finished in a draw i'd bet my life on it.

Obviously it doesnt excuse our crapness but Webb made a mistake which definently fucked us over.

You don't have to tell me how bad we've been this season and I don't think I could be accused of failing to see our shortcomings.

However, you have to look at this consistently bad performances of referees in our game. Take yesterday, for example, because of Webb's decision, any gameplan we had goes out the window in fifteen minutes. That's not right; it isn't fair on our management, not fair on the players or on the fans. Similarly any game of ours which that massive cunt Lee Mason has been charge; like it or not, sending offs and penalties completly change the outlook of a match.

You have to ask yourself why it is our manager and players( Gerrard barely acknowledges the ref, Lucas,Mascherano and Carragher spend about twenty minutes every game calling him a cunt and Torres, who used to be the most respectful of players, has open contempt for them) feel the way they do.

I don't buy into the opinion that we were shit, and so we can overlook Webb's incompetence. In the 3 previous wins over United, we played like shit in 2 of those matches. Yet, we came out on top.

Yes, we were shit, but as we all know shit teams often win. And up to that ludicrous decision to not consult the linesman and just gleefully point to the spot, we had all the momentum, a goal lead, and were once again giving United a run at their own place.

I eagerly await Webb's inevitable fuck-up at the World Cup, just like at the last Euro.

Not bitter -- just sick of seeing that referee get big decisions wrong.

I've been slaughtering Webb for a couple of years, and I've got no time for him.

However, there isn't a referee in the country who wouldn't have given that pen. Two players running full speed, one is pulling the other back but let's go just as he reaches the box. The other takes a tumble and falls four or five yards inside the box, just how is the referee supposed to know that it was right on the edge of the box and not in it?

My first viewing of it I thought it was a pen, and it was only from looking at the replays that I could be sure it wasn't.

Now, the foul by Neville on Maxi that happened right in front of him, well that's a different matter entirely. How can any referee get that decision so badly wrong?

I've been slaughtering Webb for a couple of years, and I've got no time for him.

However, there isn't a referee in the country who wouldn't have given that pen. Two players running full speed, one is pulling the other back but let's go just as he reaches the box. The other takes a tumble and falls four or five yards inside the box, just how is the referee supposed to know that it was right on the edge of the box and not in it?

My first viewing of it I thought it was a pen, and it was only from looking at the replays that I could be sure it wasn't.

Now, the foul by Neville on Maxi that happened right in front of him, well that's a different matter entirely. How can any referee get that decision so badly wrong?

That's a rhetorical question isn't it?

*Snigger.*

I hope you'll forgive me for thinking that your dismissal of Webb as a major factor in the outcome of that game is somewhat slanted. I have no idea what your motive is for doing it and I can only speculate.

The simple facts are that had Webb have given a free kick instead of a penalty AND applied the laws of the game correctly and sent Fletcher off for kicking out at an opponent the outcome could have been very different.

The simple fact is that people are pointing out how bad Webb was, not because we lost but because he actually was that bad and is consistently that bad when refereeing games we're involved in!

Don't you think Webb should have spotted the offence outside of the box. Mascherano clearly started fouling Valencia five yards outside the box. Why would Webb wait until he was in the box before making his decision? It wasn't difficult to see the offence started well outside the box.

Don't you think Webb should have spotted the offence outside of the box. Mascherano clearly started fouling Valencia five yards outside the box. Why would Webb wait until he was in the box before making his decision? It wasn't difficult to see the offence started well outside the box.

That was the linesmans responsibility, he was looking right at the incident but only flagged once Webb had blown the whistle. If he had been worth his salt he would've told Webb that it started outside the box.

But as Dave said, they're given every single time because the fouled player will keep going until they step over the penno box line

That was the linesmans responsibility, he was looking right at the incident but only flagged once Webb had blown the whistle. If he had been worth his salt he would've told Webb that it started outside the box.

But as Dave said, they're given every single time because the fouled player will keep going until they step over the penno box line

That was the other thing that annoyed me - Webb didn't even consider consulting his lino, he'd made his mind up even before Valencia had got into the box.

That was the other thing that annoyed me - Webb didn't even consider consulting his lino, he'd made his mind up even before Valencia had got into the box.

I don't think he would've had anything to say. He didn't flag until Webb had given the penalty in a "yeah yeah I agree yeah yeah" way. Linesmen seem to be making less and less decisions these days. They seem to be there purely to back the referee up on dodgy decisions.

I don't think he would've had anything to say. He didn't flag until Webb had given the penalty in a "yeah yeah I agree yeah yeah" way. Linesmen seem to be making less and less decisions these days. They seem to be there purely to back the referee up on dodgy decisions.

Is also correct. They'd rather support the refs decision even if it's wrong than show a public disagreement to get the right decision.

Still it's done now.

Don't you think Webb should have spotted the offence outside of the box. Mascherano clearly started fouling Valencia five yards outside the box. Why would Webb wait until he was in the box before making his decision?

Because Valencia was still on his feet and the referee (rightly) waited to see if the player was able to escape the defender's attention and gain the advantage.

It's a shame I have to post this excerpt from the laws of the game, but too many people are speaking with authority about things they blatantly don't understand, so here it is:

Holding an opponent

Holding an opponent includes the act of preventing him from moving past or around using the hands, the arms or the body.

Referees are reminded to make an early intervention and to deal firmly with holding offences especially inside the penalty area at corner kicks and free kicks.

To deal with these situations,

• the referee shall warn any player holding an opponent before the ball is in play

• caution the player if the holding continues before the ball is in play

• award a direct free kick or penalty kick and caution the player if it happens once the ball is in play.

If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area but continues holding him inside the penalty area, the referee shall award a penalty kick.

I hope this can be put to bed now?

Because Valencia was still on his feet and the referee (rightly) waited to see if the player was able to escape the defender's attention and gain the advantage.

It's a shame I have to post this excerpt from the laws of the game, but too many people are speaking with authority about things they blatantly don't understand, so here it is:

I hope this can be put to bed now?

Except for the part where it states that the "Referee should make an early intervention" and that Mascherano clearly was NOT holding Valencia in the box.

Now, the foul by Neville on Maxi that happened right in front of him, well that's a different matter entirely. How can any referee get that decision so badly wrong?[/QUOTE]

The one described by Sam Wallace in todays Independent as a 'relatively innocuous heel in the back of his head from Gary Neville'?

I don't go in for this conspiracy stuff, but one incident had me going 'the fuck?' yesterday.

Did anyone see where Rooney was on one of his courageous, you can't take that aggression out of him (trademark) runs near the end, and he overran the ball out of play, and bravely dived? He turned around, waving his hands saying 'no foul ref' and Webb still gave it! Rooney walked away laughing.

I just thought that summed the whole lot up, when even that fucker was on our side, and Webb still sides with them.

Webb is a cunt - 5 penalties in 8 games at OT this year speaks volumes....

Don't forget this is the ref who gave Utd the league last year when tehy got that free penalty against Spurs....

Yesterday he gave 17 freekicks to Utd, 11 to Liverpool (60-40 ratio)

But that is not the main reason we lost....

For me the moment of the game for Webb was when Rooney stumbled, appologised for what could be preceived as a dive, and got the freekick.... Even Rooney shook his head at that one!!

I don't go in for this conspiracy stuff, but one incident had me going 'the fuck?' yesterday.

Did anyone see where Rooney was on one of his courageous, you can't take that aggression out of him (trademark) runs near the end, and he overran the ball out of play, and bravely dived? He turned around, waving his hands saying 'no foul ref' and Webb still gave it! Rooney walked away laughing.

I just thought that summed the whole lot up, when even that fucker was on our side, and Webb still sides with them.

Really?

Christ i missed that, seen him dive but didnt see the rest. Did he really gesture that it wasnt a foul? Christ that probably just about sums it up.

I've basically gotten to the stage where i'm convinced there are seriously biased referees.

What I would love to know is what motivates them to be so biased, like do they just love certain teams or is there pressure from above to help certain results happen.

At the end of the first half Fletcher got fouled on the edge of our box. The ball came to Rooney and advantage was player. He played on for a few seconds and lost it. Webb pulled it back for a free. As far as I'm aware I dont think he's allowed to do that.

He also missed that blatant handball by Lucas and we broke only for him to pull it back because of the pressure of the crowd. (The linesman might have gave it)