You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Last nights atmosphere/ Flash photography/ The Kop

Hooch

I thought the atmosphere last night was a load of wank.

You come to expect it from the other 3 stands but the Kop was just as flat if not worse.

If you were on the Kop last night and you just sat there quietly shivering you should be ashamed of yourself.

I've never seen so much flash photography at a game as well; Again if that was you you should be ashamed too. you should of been cheering the lads on in their challenge for the league instead of getting a photo of Gerrards arse or whatever.

I was sat on my own in the main stand because thats where my ST is unfortunately so I had no chance. The Kop though, thats our "singing" stand. Thats were our famous atmosphere comes from and yet in a massive game in our quest for the league it was shite. I don't know if thats down to day trippers, too many people not sitting with their mates so scared to start songs, but I had to have a rant about it.

Come everyone lets get it sorted, do we want this or what?

The atmosphere by me was alright in the kop. Well as alright as a midweek game in the fucking freezing cold can be.

What about Olympiakos/ Inter Milan last year though?

I sort of expect it meself on saturday 3pm's, but a night game after defeating Chelsea? Maybe I was expecting too much.

I have been to a few Pompey games after a big game and the atmosphere has been poor every time and games that against pompey that I have manged to catch on tv or tinternet have had poor atmosphere's too and this is not just the midweek games. One that sticks in my mind the most is the game following the Olympiakos game. I was at both and we went from one of the best European nights ever to being out sung by the lads from south coast and with a very poor performance from the lads to.

We were 1 -0 up until the last couple minutes when some poor defending let in a goal by Taylor. I remember leaving that match very disappointed by the performance of the players and the fans.

What about Olympiakos/ Inter Milan last year though?

I sort of expect it meself on saturday 3pm's, but a night game after defeating Chelsea? Maybe I was expecting too much.

I dunno, just saying that by my seat in block 206, the atmosphere was alright. Dunno what it was like in other corners of the ground. It just seemed like an average league game against a lower team, nothing special about it, just the same as it was against Stoke, Boro, Wigan etc.

I thought the atmosphere was ok at times. In the second half when a bit of pressure was forming the kop sounded great.

Was making me laugh in the last 5 minutes when lucas et al just kept booting the ball in the air instead of keeping the ball. Also, it would be great to threaten from free kicks on the edge of the box. apart from xabi's hitting the post against chelsea we seem to hit most either floating over the bar or just smacked a yard off the ground in to the wall. what happened to the old whip with a couple of yards run up.

You would have thought that with it being a midweek game there would have been a lot less daytrippers and other oot's, and a lot more scouse fans who - as we all know - sing non stop for 90 minutes and don't take photographs or phone their mates during YNWA.

Or so the theory went anyway;)

You come to expect it from the other 3 stands but the Kop was just as flat if not worse.

If you were on the Kop last night and you just sat there quietly shivering you should be ashamed of yourself.

I've never seen so much flash photography at a game as well; Again if that was you you should be ashamed too. you should of been cheering the lads on in their challenge for the league instead of getting a photo of Gerrards arse or whatever.

I was sat on my own in the main stand because thats where my ST is unfortunately so I had no chance. The Kop though, thats our "singing" stand. Thats were our famous atmosphere comes from and yet in a massive game in our quest for the league it was shite. I don't know if thats down to day trippers, too many people not sitting with their mates so scared to start songs, but I had to have a rant about it.

Can we just dispel this myth that it’s “daytrippers” and “out of towners” who spoil the atmosphere, right now please?

That’s just fucking bollocks. I’ll tell you who the quietest fuckers are at Anfield – it’s the STHs who’ve had their tickets for years and sit there fucking moaning 90% of the time!

In my experience the OOTers and DTs are always really keen to get involved. It’s part of the day out.

If you ask me the apathy is mostly from regular match goers.

Can we just dispel this myth that it’s “daytrippers” and “out of towners” who spoil the atmosphere, right now please?

That’s just fucking bollocks. I’ll tell you who the quietest fuckers are at Anfield – it’s the STHs who’ve had their tickets for years and sit there fucking moaning 90% of the time!

In my experience the OOTers and DTs are always really keen to get involved. It’s part of the day out.

Amen to that.

He is right and all.

Tom knows. Tom rules.

Well the flash photography really got on my tits anyway. I probably shouldn't have said daytippers as such because theres some good oot fans as well as the Christmas tree ones so I apologise for that, but whether your from Bootle or Brisbane, if you sat on the Kop, you were shit last night.

Well the flash photography really got on my tits anyway. I probably shouldn't have said daytippers as such because theres some good oot fans as well as the Christmas tree ones so I apologise for that, but whether your from Bootle or Brisbane, if you sat on the Kop, you were shit last night.

Fair play.

But it’s a little understandable on a freezing cold night against Pompey.

I reckon if Rafa had been braver with his team selection (one up front against fucking Pompey at home??) then we’d have played better and the crowd would have performed better too.

Sometimes the players and the manager need to lift the crowd as well as vice versa. We’re all in it together.

If we’d have set the team out to just fucking destroy them then I’ve no doubt we would have done, and then we’d all be banging on today about what a great performance and atmosphere it was.

The camera flashes will be more noticeable in a game thats being played at 8pm in late October. I suspect there are just as many people taking pictures in a 12.30pm kick off on a Saturday lunchtime in May.

Aye, true, but then again it's never came to my attention in other night games until last night.

My original point really is that the atmosphere was shit so some people need to pull their fingers out. The flash photography while we are on an attack really grated.

get the seasies out the kop

The atmosphere was much better than expected for a game like last night - songs sung throughout the first half (including the loudest versions at home games for a while of some golden oldies) - admitedly it did die off a bit midway second half.

I think it's because Pompey are not a glamour tie and a team that we expect to beat so the crowd is never up for it, especially on a Wednesday night in Arctic conditions.

Pretty shoddy and should be better than that mind, but still.

the Artcic conditions had a lot to do with it! It was freezing.

Global warming my ass!

I thought the songs being sung were ones that only the old die hard fans know from start to finish, so the rest of the kop don't know the words to them.

I sat in the Kemlyn and you could hear quite a bit of singing but it was quiet and mostly from the main block at the back.

The shite weather doesn't help though. My balls had disappeared after 15 minutes.