You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Looks like Barry deal off! How did we end up with them...

satmann

Talk about not backing the manager.. I think Rafa will be off next summer!

Liverpool's Gareth Barry swoop on the rocks - Liverpool Echo.co.uk

Liverpool's Gareth Barry swoop on the rocks

Aug 8 2008 EXCLUSIVE by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

1 2 next »

LIVERPOOL'S move for Gareth Barry was today in major doubt with Tom Hicks and George Gillett still to give the proposed deal the go-ahead.

Rafa Benitez had hoped Barry would already be a Liverpool player by now after Aston Villa gave the Reds the nod to bring the long running saga to an end last Saturday, when Martin O'Neill said he would no longer stand in the way of a deal.

But six days later the transfer is still to be done, leaving Barry in limbo and Benitez furious at the lack of progress.

It now seems increasingly likely that Hicks and Gillett will refuse to back their manager's judgement on this occasion, and the chances of the proposed £18m transfer taking place are receding by the hour.

Benitez identified the 27-year-old England man as a key signing for this summer and was even willing to sacrifice Xabi Alonso to get the deal done.

But, after months of haggling with Villa, Liverpool are still no nearer to concluding the transfer and Benitez is becoming increasingly resigned to the belief that Barry is unlikely to join the club during this transfer window.

The ECHO understands that Liverpool's American owners have major concerns about how much value the signing of Barry would give the Reds.

A proposed four-year contract would take Barry to 31 years old and Hicks and Gillett doubt he would have a significant sell-on value at that stage of his career.

They also believe the figure Villa are demanding for the England man is inflated and do not want to be held to ransom, particularly with Liverpool able to call on the services of Steven Gerrard, Javier Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, Damien Plessis and Lucas in central midfield.

But Benitez remains adamant that Barry would improve his squad and believes that even at a cost of £18m the deal is still worth doing as he can play in several positions and would bring vast experience of the Premiership and English football in general.

After working so hard to get a deal in place, Benitez will be devastated if it is called off at the eleventh hour, and would inevitably demand answers from Hicks and Gillett.

The situation is made even more delicate by the fact that Liverpool's pursuit of Barry has been so public and a withdrawal from the proposed transfer at such a late stage would cause severe embarrassment.

Villa had finally agreed to do business and, with Barry desperate to move to Anfield, Benitez had hoped the deal was a formality.He will not take kindly to the club failing to bring in another of his top targets.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davelfc

If true this is not good news, forget Barry but concentrate on the owners not backing the manager. No manager likes that, we know Rafa does not. Having said that I don't expect Rafa to storm out in a huff, he won't be the first manager that has had owners not back him for a purchase.

On the other hand, forgetting the Barry v Alonso arguement for a second. The plan could now be to keep Xabi until January and then sell, then buy Barry for a lot less.

I personally hope Xabi continues his pre season form, then Rafa might decide to keep him. In fact Rafa might not even want to sell him. Got I hate the transfer wndows.

Most disburbing thing about that for me is that the Americans are almost certainly getting some advice on transfers etc from a third party.

Does it?

I don't think you need outside guidance to tell you that a 31 year old will have less sell on value than a younger player. People on here have made the same point.

We'll still sign him anyway.

I hope they stick to their guns this time and don't back down like they did last week. They've every right not to sanction that deal, for a number of reasons.

but are they declining to the deal for the right reasons? it sounds to me likw they aren't fronting the money because they feel they wont be able to sell him on later. well who gives a fuck about the sell on fee if said player help bring the league (I'm talking about the principle of it rather than it actually being barry).

you build/buy for success you don't plan for mediocrity.

Does it?

I don't think you need outside guidance to tell you that a 31 year old will have less sell on value than a younger player. People on here have made the same point.

Given the nature of these guys and their conduct last winter, I'd be very surprised if they don't have some independent 'soccer' consultant over there.

Problem is it's probably Alexi Lalas or Tony Meola or even Tony fucking Danza.

Don't know if this is a good or a bad thing. I'd hate to see Alonso leave as he's my favourite player in todays squad. But at the same time it's not a good thing the manager can't get the player he wants.

The only thing Barry offers that Xabi doesn't is set-pieces and to fork out £18m fot that seems silly. On the other hand maybe getting barry would allow some tactical change that would make us a better team.

Those reasons being?

Villa refusing to pay the money they agreed for Carson

Villa kept increasing the money for Barry

Villa kept telling us what to do to sign Barry

Villa changing the payment structure at the last minute.

I really hope the americans show two fingers to Villa. Even if it pisses of Rafa. The way Villa conducted themselves in the whole saga is piss taking to say the least.

Guest TK-421
Most disburbing thing about that for me is that the Americans are almost certainly getting some advice on transfers etc from a third party.

It was Red Nick.

I really hope the americans show two fingers to Villa. Even if it pisses of Rafa. The way Villa conducted themselves in the whole saga is piss taking to say the least.

Well the main one would be swapping Alonso for Barry at the cost of about £6m!

Lunacy.

To paraphrase Shankly, they are only there to write the cheques. If the money is there, give it to him and let him sign whoever he wants. If its not, tell him its not.

While I am not one to go on about people with "sources" getting stuff wrong, does that fella on RAWK ever getting anything right?

the payment structure point. What is the source on that?

Does it?

its not about his sell on value tho, its about us having a stronger squad to compete for four trophies, this a fuckin disgrace

I hope they stick to their guns this time and don't back down like they did last week. They've every right not to sanction that deal, for a number of reasons.

I reckon it might raise the real prospect of Rafa walking out though.

He's not going to take kindly to having his footballing decisions questioned by such sawker luminaries like Hicks and Gillett.

Buying Barry using a loan will be a very bad mistake in my opinion.

It's common knowledge now that once we buy him, we'll be looking to raise cash from player sales. With the buying clubs knowing how desperate we are, they'll just offer peanuts for our players. We'll have to let players like Pennant and Xabi go for less then market value, while we pay for a player for over-market value. I mean doesn anyone think we'll get anywhere near £6m for Voronin?? :ermm:

Whether we sign him or not, the whole situation stinks, and the sooner its over the better.