You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Me too, never went a week without a drink from the age of 16 to the age of 36 with no particular health issues.

Only found out a couple of years ago that I have mild hyperuricemia, which is elevated levels of uric acid in the blood, which can in turn cause uric acid crystals to form in joints which is what causes gout. I don't have to medicate for it, I control it via diet, mainly by not drinking,

• 2 years later...

Gout has traditionally been associated with pain in the big toe, I never had that strangely.

Up till about a year ago I had suffered with it about 90% in the ankle/foot area and 10% in the knee and this had been going on for 4-5 years.

The flare ups were horrendous painwise, and at the end it was getting to be a severe episode every month or two months that lasted 2-3 days.

Even outside the flare ups I always felt a crinkling/soft crackling between the bones in my feet causing me a tension that something was not right and a new flare up was never far off.

I took Colchicine tabs when needed in the flare ups that took about 12-24 hours to take effect.

For the past year I’ve taken to drinking at 4-5 litres of water a day and I’ve only had one minor episode since.

I’m not an expert on this, but gout is due to a build up of Uric Acid which is excreted through urine.

The more water you drink, the more you’ll piss and the more uric acid you’ll remove.

It has worked for me, and avoided dependence on drugs like Colchicine with all their potential side effects.

Hardly any fucking sleep all night, can't even lie down in a comfortable position.

Rang the quacks as soon as they opened, on hold for 26 minutes, first available appointment is 6:30.

Bastards.

That's disgusting you should have put your foot down over that

• Upvote 1

I’ve had it twice in the last 6 or so years. Both in the toe. The first time it lasted for about 6 days. I’ve never experienced pain like it. I’ve broken bones and that didn’t compare. Agony. No sleep, so by about day 4 I was a zombie in absolute agony. Horreandous.

The second time was about 2 years ago. I’d just arrived in New York for a few days work. The flare up lasted about 3 days. Someone told me blueberries were good so I ate my body weight in them that night. The next day it had toned right down? I’ve no idea if that was a coincidence or not, but I eat blueberries fairly regularly now. I drink loads of water anyway, so that helps.

I’ve had a few days where I feel a tiny bit of pain in the toe and I’ve panicked that another bout is coming, but it goes a few hours later. I dread the next hit, and as it’s been a few years I’m always nervous I’m due one.

A good friend of mine suffers badly with it. He’s active for a bloke in his late forties in that he plays lots of tennis and golf. He doesn’t drink too much barring the odd binge on a Friday and/or Saturday and barring a wee pot-belly isn’t carrying too much weight. But he gets hit twice a month, and that’s with medication. Terrible for the fella.

I’ve had it twice in the last 6 or so years. Both in the toe. The first time it lasted for about 6 days. I’ve never experienced pain like it. I’ve broken bones and that didn’t compare. Agony. No sleep, so by about day 4 I was a zombie in absolute agony. Horreandous.

The second time was about 2 years ago. I’d just arrived in New York for a few days work. The flare up lasted about 3 days. Someone told me blueberries were good so I ate my body weight in them that night. The next day it had toned right down? I’ve no idea if that was a coincidence or not, but I eat blueberries fairly regularly now. I drink loads of water anyway, so that helps.

I’ve had a few days where I feel a tiny bit of pain in the toe and I’ve panicked that another bout is coming, but it goes a few hours later. I dread the next hit, and as it’s been a few years I’m always nervous I’m due one.

A good friend of mine suffers badly with it. He’s active for a bloke in his late forties in that he plays lots of tennis and golf. He doesn’t drink too much barring the odd binge on a Friday and/or Saturday and barring a wee pot-belly isn’t carrying too much weight. But he gets hit twice a month, and that’s with medication. Terrible for the fella.

The fuck?

Poor bastard!