You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

would you start peter on tuesday?

spider-neil

should peter crouch start on tuedsayyes  

93 members have voted

1. 1. should peter crouch start on tuedsayyes

• yes
    • no

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The more i think about it, the more i believe he will start. The quotes from Rafa over the weekend and today saying "we can play with two upfront, its not a problem" lead me to believe he may have a suprise up his sleave. They, and the press, think they have Rafas team for tomorow, which im sure Rafa will not be comfortable with. He always likes to suprise the opposition. I can see Crouch getting a start, whether thats in a 442 or 4231 with torres dropping deaper to accomodate him, i dont know. But his record against them, and his ability to hold the ball up could prove a vital weapon for us tomorrow. They hate playing against him. I like the 4231 but we have seen against top teams like the mancs, it can become less effective as the lone striker becomes isolated with the 3 attacking mids spending alot of time deeper, defending. I can see Rafa springing a suprise tomorrow.

I still don't know - I keep thinking about it and can't decide. There's pro's and con's to each different shape we can go with.

If we go 4-4-2 with Torres and Crouch up front, then obviously we have a massive threat. They can't handle Crouch and that will give Torres space to work as well. The downside is that Gerrard would have to be really disciplined and we'd lose his drive going forward - we'd also be a man down in midfield and it could make it harder to stop them from scoring.

We could keep the present shape and put Torres out in one of the wide positions but I don't think that's what we should do. He would have to do a lot of covering and it would totally negate his strengths, IMO.

As I say, I just don't know at the moment!

I'd be equally happy with 4-2-3-1 and no Crouch, or 4-4-2 with Crouch.

I still don't know - I keep thinking about it and can't decide. There's pro's and con's to each different shape we can go with.

If we go 4-4-2 with Torres and Crouch up front, then obviously we have a massive threat. They can't handle Crouch and that will give Torres space to work as well. The downside is that Gerrard would have to be really disciplined and we'd lose his drive going forward - we'd also be a man down in midfield and it could make it harder to stop them from scoring.

We could keep the present shape and put Torres out in one of the wide positions but I don't think that's what we should do. He would have to do a lot of covering and it would totally negate his strengths, IMO.

As I say, I just don't know at the moment!

I'd be equally happy with 4-2-3-1 and no Crouch, or 4-4-2 with Crouch.

Spot on Brownie. My feelings exactly mate

It's possible to play 4-2-3-1 and use both Crouch and Torres. Drop Dirk and put Nando on the right. Crouch, with Babel and Torres breaking on with pace could be quite useful. However, I'm not sure if now is the time to be experimenting.

It's possible to play 4-2-3-1 and use both Crouch and Torres. Drop Dirk and put Nando on the right. Crouch, with Babel and Torres breaking on with pace could be quite useful. However, I'm not sure if now is the time to be experimenting.

The problem with that, is Clichy. We all saw how much work Kuyt had to do defensively. I'm not saying Torres wouldn't do it - i'm sure he would, but it would negate his strengths and affect our performance I think.

The counter argument to that is obviously that Torres could pre-occupy Clichy so much that he wouldn't want to be bombing forward.

As you say though no point in experimenting.

However, I'm not sure if now is the time to be experimenting.

I think this is the key.

Including Crouch is a tantalising prospect, especially since he seems to do so well against Arsenal. But we don't know if somehow Crouchy would turn in an inferior performance becasue he would be in Torres' shadow, and we don't know if Torres would be less effective becasue he hadn't had the time to work it all out with Crouch.

With hindsight it would have been nice if Torres and Crouch had a run of games earlier in the season to see if they could form a partnership. They didn't, and so now is not the time to experiment.

4-2-3-1 for me with the same team. We are building something with that, and signings this summer should be made with a view to improving it (notably bringing in a pacy, overlapping fullback and improving on Kuyt, who, to be fair, is doing OK in this formation).

Arsenal's defenders are happy defending with their pace. They don't like to have to battle and compete, and they hate playing Crouch (and look what Drogba did to them the other week as well).

Crouch would be the first name on my teamsheet this week.

I would stick with Torres and see how its going until half time and the asses whether or not to go 4-4-2 in the second half.

We seem more comfortable playing in our current formation and i wouldnt drop Torres for Crouch in this crucial game.

If there's one thing Arsenal have been very consistent with this season, it's not being able to cope with high balls in to the box. They're a fucking massive bag of shit at dealing with the type of high crosses that Crouch thrives on.

It's a no brainer that he should start. But I personally wouldn't opt for 4-4-2, I'd stick with teh current formation but with Crouch in Gerrards role and Gerrard out on the right. I'd then put Kuyt over on the left of the 3.

Stevie would probably spit his dummy though.