You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A CL final yet we are still poor?

Rashid

Our club is run like a corner shop!

By: The Financier

Date: 14 February 2008

Chelsea have joined the top five richest clubs on the globe according to Deloitte’s annual financial review of football clubs around the world. They join Real Madrid, Manchester Utd, Arsenal and Barcelona. However, a report in The Independent newspaper (14/02/08) has labelled Liverpool’s status in the rich list as “relative tiddlers”.

The Merseyside club earned some £133.9m for 2006-07 while Chelsea’s income was put at £190.5m for the same period. However, using a system that compares ‘like-for-like’, the figures for the top five are as follows;

£236.2m - Real Madrid

£212.1m - Manchester Utd

£195.3m - Barcelona

£177.6m - Chelsea / Arsenal

Chelsea’s income for the accounting period saw an increase of 28% which will offset the club’s losses – a figure that has come down year-on-year for the past three years.

The figures read;

2003-04 - £ 87.8m

2004-05 - £140m

2005-06 - £ 80.2m

Nick Harris report for The Independent goes on to say, “The data does not inspire Liverpool's hopes of challenging United, Chelsea or Arsenal any time soon. It also highlights the massive gamble Hicks and Gillett have taken in borrowing £350m. Without Champions' League income (£25m-plus), Liverpool would be losing large sums, something Hicks and Gillett cannot sustain.”

Harris also predicts that, with the new television deal money to be counted in the Deloitte reports for next season, clubs like Manchester Utd will be challenging Madrid for the title of the world’s richest side, with both Chelsea and Arsenal in hot-pursuit.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So are you accepting Rafa has done a reasonable (EDIT: Brilliant, really) job over the last 3.5 years considering the financial power of the teams he is competing with?

No, unless you think that financial power begins and ends on the field... those clubs are run much better than us. Chelsea didn't get to a CL final last season nor do they have a bigger fan base, nor do they have a bigger stadium. They still made much more than us... this thread is about finances not Rafa - I don't think the two are linked.

Oh look another thread for you make your point of view about the manager. This happens because you are quite clever in getting people to take the bait and question you about Rafa. Even though you have stated it is not about Rafa, I fear it will end up that way.

The reason we are only classed as tiddlers in this group list, is because we are not marketed as good as the other clubs in the world, our avergae crowd is smaller than the like sof Real, United and Barca.

Being 8th "Richest" club in the world is not bad really.

Arsenal & United have 20-30K more fans per home game

United have a much more efficient marketing / merchandising department

Arsenal can charge London (significantly higher) ticket prices

Chelsea have similar size stadium, larger sponsorship and can charge much higher ticket prices

To compete we need much better marketing / merchandising - but we have been saying this for 15 years. Would we all except higher ticket prices to compete in the short term till a new stadium comes online? And even after that the revenue from the stadiums will always be higher in London.

I think the first thing that any new owner, DIC or otherwise will do is raise prices to compete straightaway....would we be happy with that?

A breakdown was just on SSN and it stated that Chelsea made £30m more than us in match day revenue over the course of a season, Arsenal along with United generated £60m more. This is were the bulk of the difference lies. If the cost of catching Chelsea and Arsenal in the rich list is paying £65 for a match ticket then I'm quite happy to remain in 8th thank you very much!

A breakdown was just on SSN and it stated that Chelsea made £30m more than us in match day revenue over the course of a season, Arsenal along with United generated £60m more. This is were the bulk of the difference lies. If the cost of catching Chelsea and Arsenal in the rich list is paying £65 for a match ticket then I'm quite happy to remain in 8th thank you very much!

That sentiment will be lost on a lot of people though. "Success at all costs" seems to be the way things are going for us.

That sentiment will be lost on a lot of people though. "Success at all costs" seems to be the way things are going for us.

To a degree it is ticket prices but Chelsea also make much more than us in merchandise and that is a criminal offence. They are nowhere near as big as us.

Exactly.

As a direct comparison with Man Utd, who have a similar fan base and similar ticket prices (ie not London prices), they made £72m more than us last season as Champions.

£54m of that was on gate receipts.

I'm not saying we are run perfectly (hardly) but it's clear the main reason we are behind is because of the difference in stdium capacity.

No, unless you think that financial power begins and ends on the field... those clubs are run much better than us. Chelsea didn't get to a CL final last season nor do they have a bigger fan base, nor do they have a bigger stadium. They still made much more than us... this thread is about finances not Rafa - I don't think the two are linked.

They also negotiated two new sponsorship deals hence more cash.

Didn't they have to pay off one to get the next one? I think we are undervalued sponsorship wise. Spurs make more from shirt sponsorship than us.

Spurs also had NEW sponsors which means more cash, when we renogtiated with Calsberg the deal, I think, took us up to one of the expected opening dates for the new stadium where the oppertunity of a shirt and stadium deal would have been possible (like Arsenal have) meaning more cash.

Our renegotiated deal isn't that much less than Spurs new deal I don't think.