You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

I don't like to get involved in these things but the guy has apologised so maybe time to let it go.

Obviously calling someone ginger isn't as bad as using the N word but he's probably sick to the back teeth of it which can lead to the odd irrational comment.

Plus it’s a long way from the first time someone has used it on here.

1 minute ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

“My people were forcibly taken on slave boats and have been oppressed on every level for time immemorial.”

”Yeah, well, mine used to get called Ronald McDonald and given a wedgie when the PE teacher wasn’t looking.”

You're really not kidding about the location.

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Eh?

There was a case at Netflix not so long ago, when they sacked their marketing or PR head. They were discussing how to promote programmes where the word is used or used extensively. The black members of the marketing or PR team insisted he used the abbreviated term instead of the full word in his description, which he refused, on account of the fact they were analysing the material where, I imagined, the word was freely used and over-used, so I guess, it would sound ridiculous. They complained and the company sacked him.

2 hours ago, Karl_b said:

Nah, not having it. I completely understand how insulting and personal anything can be to an individual but there's a significant difference between calling someone ginger and using a word that has been used in systematically suppressing generations upon generations of people. Culturally, socially and globally, one of these words has a much more significant impact and meaning than the other.

As a society? I agree. As an individual? I disagree. 

4 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

People get bullied for loads of things. Being fat, being bald, having long hair, one of my mates at school got dogs abuse for being too skinny. Called skeleton and skull, told he looked like a concentration camp survivor or an Ethiopian refugee. 

None of those things are anywhere near as bad as the ‘N’ word and nor should jokes not be allowed about them. 

Is this a fucking joke? People who have things in their life are OK to be picked on and victimised as it should be OK to joke at their expense? Am I really reading this right? 

I think Dave should be looking in a different direction. 

5 hours ago, Karl_b said:

Nah, not having it. I completely understand how insulting and personal anything can be to an individual but there's a significant difference between calling someone ginger and using a word that has been used in systematically suppressing generations upon generations of people. Culturally, socially and globally, one of these words has a much more significant impact and meaning than the other.

Calling someone ginger is not the issue here. The picture showed someone with cancer and if that's not bad enough they also have to put up with having ginger hair. That's the equivalent of stating someone is black (fact) and saying that it is affliction they have to tolerate (not a fact). 

Personally I won't be getting involved in this anymore and I hope that picture is removed and if the original poster really holds the view that it's OK to joke and take the piss out of people for their physical appearance and this is seen as OK then so be it. 

There are lots of kids who have either committed suicide or significant self-harm over bullying. To suggest that being bullied to that point isn’t as bad as being called the N word is, in my personal opinion, incorrect.

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

There are lots of kids who have either committed suicide or significant self-harm over bullying. To suggest that being bullied to that point isn’t as bad as being called the N word is, in my personal opinion, incorrect.

So would I. But I don’t think anybody is suggesting otherwise. Just saying that racist words are worse than saying ginger. And, overall, Black people have had it a touch worse than ginger people. Bullying is separate and can include racist bullying. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

So would I. But I don’t think anybody is suggesting otherwise. Just saying that racist words are worse than saying ginger. And, overall, Black people have had it a touch worse than ginger people. Bullying is separate and can include racist bullying. 

How is there a difference between racism and bullying? 

27 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Is this a fucking joke? People who have things in their life are OK to be picked on and victimised as it should be OK to joke at their expense? Am I really reading this right? 

It’s ok to make a joke about ginger people or fat people or skinny people or bald people in general, yes. Every fucking comedian going does jokes like that. Comedians such as Jimmy Carr who I don’t think is considered particularly extreme will make jokes at his show about ginger people, gay people, people with cancer and AIDS, regional jokes about scousers and all kinds of things. 

Calling someone a slaphead or a ginger cunt isn’t anywhere near as bad as saying the ‘N’ word. I don’t think that’s particularly controversial and I’m pretty sure if you said those words in public only one would get you arrested.

Picking on a specific person and bullying them for being ginger or fat, or skinny or bald is not ok except no one has done that here. 

The point is, the fact that someone may have been bullied for a specific reason doesn’t mean you can’t make a joke about it. Let’s say someone suffers a load of bullying because their parents are rich. Does that mean you can’t make a joke about rich people? Of course not. 

And the picture doesn’t show someone with cancer. 

And @Anubis I’m sure you can show me where anyone has suggested bullying to the point of suicide or significant self-harm isn’t as bad as the ‘N’ word. I’ll wait. 

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

How is there a difference between racism and bullying? 

Have you been sitting outside in the sun?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

It’s ok to make a joke about ginger people or fat people or skinny people or bald people in general, yes. Every fucking comedian going does jokes like that. Comedians such as Jimmy Carr who I don’t think is considered particularly extreme will make jokes at his show about ginger people, gay people, people with cancer and AIDS, regional jokes about scousers and all kinds of things. 

Calling someone a slaphead or a ginger cunt isn’t anywhere near as bad as saying the ‘N’ word. I don’t think that’s particularly controversial and I’m pretty sure if you said those words in public only one would get you arrested.

Picking on a specific person and bullying them for being ginger or fat, or skinny or bald is not ok except no one has done that here. 

The point is, the fact that someone may have been bullied for a specific reason doesn’t mean you can’t make a joke about it. Let’s say someone suffers a load of bullying because their parents are rich. Does that mean you can’t make a joke about rich people? Of course not. 

And the picture doesn’t show someone with cancer. 

And @Anubis I’m sure you can show me where anyone has suggested bullying to the point of suicide or significant self-harm isn’t as bad as the ‘N’ word. I’ll wait. 

Clearly one of us can't read as quite obviously the quote at the bottom says being ginger on top of having cancer. It's not even close to funny. 

And how on earth would you know that someone is rich? What a ridiculous comment. It's easy to see when someone is overweight/ginger/black/skinny. To say it's OK to joke at their expense is quite poor. 

5 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Clearly one of us can't read as quite obviously the quote at the bottom says being ginger on top of having cancer. It's not even close to funny. 

And how on earth would you know that someone is rich? What a ridiculous comment. It's easy to see when someone is overweight/ginger/black/skinny. To say it's OK to joke at their expense is quite poor. 

Yeah, clearly it’s you who can’t read. The person she’s donating the hair to has the cancer not the fucking girl in the photo you mad cunt.

And of course it’s ok to joke about gingers or being fat IN GENERAL like I said. Obviously doing it to one person in particular is not ok and no one has done that. Jesus Christ.