You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The only reason we are in the final....

The chimp who jumped on my car at Knowsley Safari Park last week could probably write better stuff than Harry Harris.

Yeah, but put enough of them in a room full of typewriters and eventually the'd come up with the same shite as him as well!!

when we're out of the league cup, FA cup and prem by the end of january what else are we suppose to concentrate on?

Exactly. To suggest we deliberately didnt want to do well in bothe the Pl and FAC is taking the piss.

But journos are all the same. I just laugh at them. They dont like that, you know.

We're one match away from winning the premier club competition in the world. Chelsea may well end the season with only a Carling Cup in the cabinet. Bravo to them for their "efforts" in all 4 competitions.:tease:

So let me get this right in my head.

Because we haven't tried to win the quadruple, treble, or double then we have focussed our attentions on the champions league and forsaken any other competition?

I don't call finishing comfortably in the top 4 of the premier league forsaking the competition really, granted we haven't won it, but then again we haven't spent 450billion quid on strikers or defenders. Instead actually we have used our whole squad, good and bad players to good effect, putting us in a final which EVERY other club in the whole of Europe wants to play in......

That doesn't sound so bad to me, so what it isn't a treble yet but I would think that it would make us a more attractive proposition for players and we would be more respected throughout Europe for it. I would prefer to be admired and respected by the likes of Milan, Madrid and Barcelona than Bolton or Middlesborough any day.

Fuck the league in the shitty arse. How can a Prem game ever match up to recent Champs League games? Has there ever been a league game one gnat's pube of a fraction of the awesomeness of Istanbul? CL every time, it just means so much more to me

I love the way it's so unfair that Chelsea, the club with a third of a billion pounds spent on players, and United, "The Biggest Club in the World" ™, didn't have the resoruces to cope with the burden.

Clearly there is a bigger hurdle for English clubs than for those from the rest of Europe due to the size of the top flight here. However, no-one was mentioning that a fortnight ago when we were officially the "Kings of Europe" with three out of four of the semi-finalists for "Europe's Premier Competition". Funny how it's no longer so great now we're there and the media's darlings aren't, isn't it?

I'd rather win the league than the CL at this point, but the CL is still a massive achievement, and far better than winning the FA Cup or anything else.

I'd be perfectly happy if Rafa carried on at this rate of alternating an FA Cup with a European Cup every year.

Nah fuck it - just give me the European ones.

Guest PaddyBerger15
I'd rather win the league than the CL at this point, but the CL is still a massive achievement, and far better than winning the FA Cup or anything else.

Fuck that.

In May, all the shitty, meaningless games vs Watford, Montpellier, Gimnastic, Treviso and Bielefeld will be over, every other game will have been played, and on that Wednesday night, all of the also rans will be at home watching, as will the eyes of the world.

There is NO bigger competition than the European Cup, and no bigger game. That is THEEEEEEEE one to win. Its the culmination of 12 games qualifying against teams that are better than 90% of the shite you have to play at home. It is the blue riband of European football, its UEFA's prestige night, and that trophy rules over ALL other trophies. When the captain of your club lifts THAT trophy on THAT night in May, then it wanks all over winning anything else.

The Premiership is the holy grail as rightly, we used to identify that as the 'bread and butter', the benchmark of success, the 'snickers not a sprint' competition that shows who the best team in the country is over a period of time against exactly the same opposition as all of the other competitors....and until we have won number 19 we wont be satisfied...but, the European Cup is special, its electric, its like no other night.....winning that keeps you smiling and crying for months.....thats the real test.

I would take winning the European Cup over any other trophy, that cup is special.

Fuck that.

In May, all the shitty, meaningless games vs Watford, Montpellier, Gimnastic, Treviso and Bielefeld will be over, every other game will have been played, and on that Wednesday night, all of the also rans will be at home watching, as will the eyes of the world.

There is NO bigger competition than the European Cup, and no bigger game. That is THEEEEEEEE one to win. Its the culmination of 12 games qualifying against teams that are better than 90% of the shite you have to play at home. It is the blue riband of European football, its UEFA's prestige night, and that trophy rules over ALL other trophies. When the captain of your club lifts THAT trophy on THAT night in May, then it wanks all over winning anything else.

The Premiership is the holy grail as rightly, we used to identify that as the 'bread and butter', the benchmark of success, the 'snickers not a sprint' competition that shows who the best team in the country is over a period of time against exactly the same opposition as all of the other competitors....and until we have won number 19 we wont be satisfied...but, the European Cup is special, its electric, its like no other night.....winning that keeps you smiling and crying for months.....thats the real test.

I would take winning the European Cup over any other trophy, that cup is special.

Outstanding!

Fuck that.

Amen, brother!

In the modern era of mega-cash, elite clubs and highly competitive top sides in the big domestic league competitions, the real test will come to be seen as doing both. Only Barca have managed that in recent years.

Look at the stats, chelse ahave chooped and changed there side all season long as have man utd (even though fergie would have you belive he only has 3 fit players).

They rested about 5 last week agaisngt everton, and then complained about not being able to do it on the wed.

Guest PaddyBerger15
In the modern era of mega-cash, elite clubs and highly competitive top sides in the big domestic league competitions, the real test will come to be seen as doing both. Only Barca have managed that in recent years.

Thats absolutely right Paul, spot on, and thats what we aspire to. Winning the European Cup again will raise our profile a few notches further and enable us to attract the kind of player that we need to do both.

When Rafa turned up at Melwood back in July 2005 he must have taken a look at the training field and thought to himself "who in the name of fuck and all things sane bought half of these bastards?" We not only have to compete against bigger spending power of other clubs, the relative lack of appeal of Liverpool as a city over places like Barcelona and Milan in cultural terms, but also from a few years of profligacy and mis-management. If and when Rafa brings home number 19 he will have had to address both the quantity and quality issue within the squad, we had numbers, too many in numbers and outside of the first 11 (and even in it) we were severely down on other major clubs in terms of quality.

We would love to win the league, we would love to win the European Cup, we would love to win both....thats a really hard ask, if we achieve that under Rafas stewardship then that will have been an achievement beyond nearly all others. In the meantime, number 6 in Athens will be just sooooperb.

The squad has been trimmed to an extent, well to the extent that our weakest links arent quite as weak as they used to be, but until we are in a position where it only needs to be 2 in and 2 out each summer, then we wont be settled enough and good enough to compete on every front. At the moment, we do have to prioritise, we havent been able to go out and address the issue of REAL quality in our team and squad across the board. Winning number 6 will go a long way to help that, both in profile, lure and money.

Going into a Champions League campaign as champions of our own league will be a big step towards greatness, but going in as reigning champs of Europe isnt a bad second best! That only Barcelona have managed both in recent times shows that the problem isnt just ours.

Guest Boythorn

I don't know why you're all trying to defend us. There's nothing to defend. We're in the Champions League Final and that's just too hard for some people to bear.

Fuck them. Fuck them up their stupid asses