You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Climate change - how arsed are you?

Paul

How arsed are you about climate change?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How arsed are you about climate change?

• Very. I do everything I possibly can to be greener.
    • Arsed. I do what I have to and a bit more, as long as it doesn't hurt my pocket.
    • Think it's an issue and I do what I have to, but I'm not sweating it.
    • Climate change, schmimate change. Big conspiracy to tax us more and sell us shit we don't need.

4 hours ago, Anubis said:

I posted about the COP 28 conundrum in the Israel thread - be interesting if Netanyahu in fact shows up.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pete said:

https://news.sky.com/story/iceland-volcano-latest-lava-pouring-from-two-mile-crack-and-may-head-towards-nearby-town-13033889

Didn't know where else to put this but does anyone else get the impression the planet is majorly pissed off at humanity and just wants rid of us?  

The hate clearly goes both ways

On 19/12/2023 at 10:38, Section_31 said:

I fucking hate the way the oil nations have so much sway over everything. Giving them a climate change conference of all fucking things, swanning around in their Ferraris slipping tenners into people's back pockets.

The United States is producing more oil than any country in history

As the world grapples with the existential climate crisis, environmental activists want President Joe Biden to phase out the oil industry, and Republicans argue he’s already doing that. Meanwhile, the surprising reality is the United States is pumping oil at a blistering pace and is on track to produce more oil than any country has in history.

US output is so strong that it’s sending supplies overseas. America is exporting the same amount of crude oil, refined products and natural gas liquids as either Saudi Arabia or Russia produces, S&P said.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/12/2023 at 17:40, Red Shift said:

We’re fucked. We’ve been fucked for decades. However, I’ll continue to champion a resource based global economy, and an end to the means of exchange as we know it.

And yet here we are 'decades on' when there's never ever been a better time to be alive, Climate change is nowhere near the issue people are led to believe it is.

4 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

And yet here we are 'decades on' when there's never ever been a better time to be alive, Climate change is nowhere near the issue people are led to believe it is.

The mistake is to think that the temporary gains of longer growing seasons, are permanent. Everything will look rosy for a while, but the temperatures will just keep on pushing up. I also expect bureaucracy to completely negate any scientific breakthroughs. Government and the 1% are the blind leading the blind. This bullshit with electric cars is a good example. There will never be enough rare earths to give the global population the mobility it has come to expect as a basic human right or privilege. Only Green/Diamond Hydrogen can save civilisation and it can’t get purchase because of the incredible marketing of the existing industry.

4 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I suspect the best time to be alive was in our indigenous state, when we had and knew enough to live within natures natural bounty and we were ignorant enough not to challenge the same laws. Just watched The New World and yes, of course it’s romanticised, but the pre European American Natives lived in fucking paradise as far as I’m concerned. Same with Maori here in Aotearoa.

On 21/12/2023 at 05:42, TheHowieLama said:

The United States is producing more oil than any country in history

As the world grapples with the existential climate crisis, environmental activists want President Joe Biden to phase out the oil industry, and Republicans argue he’s already doing that. Meanwhile, the surprising reality is the United States is pumping oil at a blistering pace and is on track to produce more oil than any country has in history.

US output is so strong that it’s sending supplies overseas. America is exporting the same amount of crude oil, refined products and natural gas liquids as either Saudi Arabia or Russia produces, S&P said.

its an illusion. Every barrel of oil extracted, has taken more than a barrel to do the extraction.

R.I.P. Michael Ruppert

8 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

I suspect the best time to be alive was in our indigenous state, when we had and knew enough to live within natures natural bounty and we were ignorant enough not to challenge the same laws. Just watched The New World and yes, of course it’s romanticised, but the pre European American Natives lived in fucking paradise as far as I’m concerned. Same with Maori here in Aotearoa.

Other than the Native Americans butchering each other for fun, or further down south the Aztec removing hearts from living people or sacrificing children. 

I find this idea or living centuries ago being the best time quite amusing. The common cold could wipe out half of you village. Or a neighbouring village might decide they want your farmland or wife. 

Or even worse the British,French,Spanish, Portuguese or Dutch turn up take all of your shit and teach you about God

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I wouldn't say the Maori lived in complete harmony wth nature, they drove many species to extinction, like all the Moa and the Haast's Eagle. Quite a few wildfowl too.

There is some argument as to the contributing factors in the Moa extinction. The arrival of Colonial Europeans brought total devastation of the rain forest, the bulk of the Moa’s habitat, as well as the (unintentional) introduction of Rats, as well as ‘harmless’ weeds / plants that went on to thrive in the climate and throttle native growth. Same goes for other species.

3 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Not sure about that mate, I think it was generally a complete savage fucking wasteland 

5 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Not sure about that mate, I think it was generally a complete savage fucking wasteland 

Teenage too? And your answer would be ‘if they were lucky’

IMG_1336.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...