You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Feminism

Remmie

I could have posted this in any of the Trump/election threads, but I think it belongs here, because it's main theme is about why feminism is needed.

Problem is that kind of feminism is competing with this kind of feminist (granted the motive is more political in this video but come on).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piZxSTCpXWQ

More Michelle Obama's less shrill confrontational 'feminists' who exist solely to scream about being oppressed rather than fighting to do something about it.

She's certainly shrill, confrontational, hypocrital, entitled and all-round awful, but there's next-to-nothing in that clip that you'd call an attempt at feminism (at least until she remembers the "Women can stop Trump" card at the end).  More to the point, you have to go searching for appalling twats like that; I know she claims that she has a lot of social media followers, but my guess is that Michelle Obama has a bigger platform. 

She's certainly shrill, confrontational, hypocrital, entitled and all-round awful, but there's next-to-nothing in that clip that you'd call an attempt at feminism

Which is why I made the distinction between the feminism on display in the Michelle Obama clip and feminist in the one i posted.

The problem is while the likes of Emma Watson and Michelle Obama undoubtedly have a bigger stage when you think of feminism and feminists you tend to think of the shrill agressive hate everyone internet feminist before them.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Which is why I made the distinction between the feminism on display in the Michelle Obama clip and feminist in the one i posted.

The problem is while the likes of Emma Watson and Michelle Obama undoubtedly have a bigger stage when you think of feminism and feminists you tend to think of the shrill agressive hate everyone internet feminist before them.

Why do you call her a feminist? Because that Bearing wanker did? (Whoever the hell he is?)

Well, good job basing your idea of what "feminism" is on the ramblings of uneducated 17 year olds with Youtube accounts then.

Am I?

Could have sworn I made the distinction between real feminism and the bullshit bile spewing cuntery that masquerades as feminism but hey ho.

Am I?

Could have sworn I made the distinction between real feminism and the bullshit bile spewing cuntery that masquerades as feminism but hey ho.

"Masquerades as"? Isn't is rather "Other people call"? And in this case "Some asshole on Youtube calls"?

Thats why I asked why YOU would call her a feminist.

"Masquerades as"? Isn't is rather "Other people call"? And in this case "Some asshole on Youtube calls"?

Thats why I asked why YOU would call her a feminist.

No the kind of people I'm talking about openly call themselves feminists and do damage1 to true feminism.

Again, I make the distinction between feminism and feminist because because not all feminists seem to believe in feminsm and feminism doesn't seem to categorise all feminists.

No the kind of people I'm talking about openly call themselves feminists and do damage1 to true feminism.

Again, I make the distinction between feminism and feminist because because not all feminists seem to believe in feminsm and feminism doesn't seem to categorise all feminists.

Not necessarily disagree with any of that. However, we were talking about this specific case. It would seem you are calling a woman who you consider obnoxious a feminist. Based on what? Why does that video show up in a thread called "Feminism". It would seem because some 12 year old on Youtube, who uses terms like "SJW" called her a feminist and you believed him/agreed with him.

Of course it is possible that this woman has a long history of labeling herself a feminist, which I don't know. That's why I asked. 

It was my categorisation nobody elses. I could have picked a million and one other people with the same traits but i'd just finished laughing at that so it was to hand.

Maybe I'm unfairly profiling her and despite her walking and talking like a duck she isn't actually a duck.

I'm pretty damn confident though.

Very revealing.