You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel - A Rant

Rashid

Stinging criticism of Israel, once again. If it had been an article on a Muslim country, you DEFINITELY would have said some whataboutery regarding Israel, right?

It shouldn't even need to be said that I disagree with the proposal. So I will instead make a sarcastic comment about the lack of consistency of others.

It does need to be said, actually. Remember, not speaking out against something is supporting it...

I don't remember saying that, but regardless, my support for free speech is surely well established. Just because I don't pile in on Israel at every opportunity like the obsessives doesn't mean I'm in agreement with them.

I don't remember saying that, but regardless, my support for free speech is surely well established. Just because I don't pile in on Israel at every opportunity like the obsessives doesn't mean I'm in agreement with them.

Pile it on? Nobody wants you to pile it on. Starting the point with some sort of criticism rather than ‘but the left’ would surely be a better indicator that you care more about free speech than criticising the left.

Surely it's good news for them that Netanyahu has just signed the death warrant for his ruling coalition.

What makes you think that?

Surely they will be happy to let him take the blame, yet say there's nothing that can be done to reverse it since it was done under his command and now law?

Laws are reversed all the time, and it's a hugely unpopular proposal, even in its current watered down state.

I'm not sure that it is "hugely unpopular" when read in the context of stuff like this?

"Smooha has been tracking the relationship since 1976, while his index has been coming out since 2003.

The latest survey – a representative sample of 700 Arab and 700 Jewish adults – was conducted from May to August 2017. The margin of error is 3.7 percent.

Some 48 percent of Jews do not want to have Arabs as neighbors, an increase of seven percentage points from two years before. In that time their willingness to let Arab children study at school with their own children sank to 51.5 percent from 57.5 percent.

Almost 64 percent of the Jewish respondents said they avoid Arab towns in Israel, an increase of four percentage points from two years before."

The same study also recorded a finding that approx. 1 in 3 Israeli Jews believe that Israeli Arabs should leave Israel without any sort of compensation.

I'm not being a smartarse, but it would be genuinely interesting to see any sort of evidence to back up the claim that this legislation is "hugely unpopular"??