You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel - A Rant

Rashid

I find it interesting that retaliatory strikes by Israel that killed three Gazans warrants a mention on this forum, but the killing of 43 Yemenis - almost all of them primary school age children - by the Saudis on the same day, goes unmentioned.

I find it interesting that retaliatory strikes by Israel that killed three Gazans warrants a mention on this forum, but the killing of 43 Yemenis - almost all of them primary school age children - by the Saudis on the same day, goes unmentioned.

What are you insinuating?

And I have to say, your framing of Israeli's transgressions is pretty much unpalatable at this point.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I haven't read the news yet. I just saw the Gazan slaughters on Facebook. Now I'm aware of them, I have no issue in saying that the Yemeni slaughters are equally abhorrent.

So, you can put the "card" away. Have you considered getting it laminated? It must be quite battered, considering how frequently and haphazardly you whip it out?

What are you insinuating?

And I have to say, your framing of Israeli's transgressions is pretty much unpalatable at this point.

I'm not insinuating anything. I just find it interesting. I will let other people make up their minds as to why the killing of 3 warrants criticism but the killing of 43 doesn't.

I don't know what you mean by framing, sorry. I obviously condemn the killing of innocent people, wherever and whoever does it.

Having had a professional and academic interest in the region for the best part of 20 years leads me to get a bit short when some common-room analysis is taught to me with a clear attempt to display your own knowledge rather than disagree.

But I'm glad you have an interest in the area. It was just hard to glean that from your rather unremarkable reply to my first post.

I'm not insinuating anything. I just find it interesting. I will let other people make up their minds as to why the killing of 3 warrants criticism but the killing of 43 doesn't.

I didn't comment on either of them. In fact, only one person did and he just told you he didn't know about it. So I've made up my mnd, it's because he didn't know. Not that he supports the killing of 43 children.

I don't know what you mean by framing, sorry. I obviously condemn the killing of innocent people, wherever and whoever does it.

Except you didn't, did you? You posted no condemnation, you questioned why others hadn't criticised the Saudis. I find it interesting that your lack of criticism is okay and should be taken for granted but others, like the Saudi murders you mentioned, have to be spelled out by everyone.

Furthermore, you didn't only not criticise it, you called it a 'retaliatory strike that killed three Gazans', having previously slammed this thread as one for 'mindless criticism of the only democracy in the Middle East'. Like I say, it's framing partial truths in a way that makes you sound like a propagandist and an apologist. I know that you don't support the killing of children, I just dislike that it needs to be dragged out of you. Had I not known you from the best part of ten years of talking to you about these things, but rather taken what you said at face value, I would judge you as an apologist of murder and suffering.

• Upvote 2

I'm not altogether sure that every time someone is killed, be it a bus full of children or the family of a Hamas commander, the world is eagerly waiting for me to condemn it. Can we just take it as read that I think it's bad when people are killed? It would save a lot of time and not bore everyone to tears.

I'm not altogether sure that every time someone is killed, be it a bus full of children or the family of a Hamas commander, the world is eagerly waiting for me to condemn it. Can we just take it as read that I think it's bad when people are killed? It would save a lot of time and not bore everyone to tears.

I wasn't the one that came into the thread questioning why an attack hadn't been criticised, you were. You can surely see it's a bit hypocritical?

I can happily assume you dislike it when innocents are killed, so long as you don't misrepresent it as something else, as long as the favour is returned, especially when it's countries that I absolutely despise like Saudi Arabia. There's a reason why there's no real discussion on Saudi, it's because nobody defends them, supports them, or in any way likes them on here.

I wasn't the one that came into the thread questioning why an attack hadn't been criticised, you were. You can surely see it's a bit hypocritical?

I don't think so. I was just curious why one was worthy of comment and one apparently wasn't. Now I know it was just that N-T hadn't spotted the deaths in Yemen, so I'm sure he'll be posting about them in the "Saudi Arabia - A Rant" thread imminently.

I don't have anything more to say about this anyway, so you'll forgive me if I bow out now.

Take it to the Yemeni / Saudi Arabia thread.

This is for highlighting the murdering and laughably named IDF and their masters.

I don't think so. I was just curious why one was worthy of comment and one apparently wasn't. Now I know it was just that N-T hadn't spotted the deaths in Yemen, so I'm sure he'll be posting about them in the "Saudi Arabia - A Rant" thread imminently.

I don't have anything more to say about this anyway, so you'll forgive me if I bow out now.

Shouldn’t it go in the Middle East Thread?

Large Druze demonstrations in Tel Aviv against the Nation State Bill.

Unusual to see a mass demonstration in Israel without the usual accompanying extrajudicial executions.

Another mass demo against it, with people from all different communities and right across the political spectrum.

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Resist-Apartheid-Thousands-Rally-Against-Israels-Nationality-Bill-20180811-0009.html

"Rallying cries included 'Jews and Arabs refuse to be enemies'."

I like people sometimes.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd raise this question here, rather than on the Corbyn thread.

Over on that thread, Stronts keeps having a pop at "anti-Zionists" as people who "deny Israel's right to exist".  

Although I personally support Israel's right to exist (within the 1967 borders), it doesn't strike me as self-evident that there's a natural right for Israel to exist.  Under international law, there's no right for independent Kurdish, Basque, Welsh, Catalan, etc. states to exist, so why should Israel exist?  At least in the the case of the four non-countries I've just cited, the people wanting independence are the people who have lived there since the year dot.  

I'm not aware of any other state being created before the bulk of its population moves in.  The idea of fabricating a "homeland" - especially one whose geographical location stems from Bronze Age fairy stories - is just bizarre.

Being an anti-Zionist isn't the same as denying people or Israel the right to exist. Anybody who tells you that Zionism is simply the support for a Jewish Homeland is a liar. I do not support Jewish states any more than I support Iran as an Islamic state. That said, I don't deny Iran's right to exist. I don't want to kill all Iranians. I want Iran to exist as all nations should exist, every person under the same law with one vote. The same applies to Israel. Saying I don't support a Jewish state doesn't mean, as many Zionists will have you believe, that you want to destroy Israel and have another Holocaust. It means that I want Israel to treat all its citizens the same, with one vote and equal rights. I want Israel and Iran to be democratic states, not for one type of person, not for a religion, not for a race or ethnicity, but for all people, equal under the law. It's all nonsense anyway. Israel exists, and it ain't going anywhere. It's a nuclear armed superpower with the backing of history's only ever hyper power. Its right to exist is backed by armageddon-level power.

• Upvote 2