You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool 2 Fulham 1 - Match Reaction

The Reds rebounded from a poor first half, as goals from Jones and impressive substitute Gakpo put the 9-times League Cup winners on course for another Wembley Final.

Chris Smith is joined by Stu Montagu and TLW Editor Dave Usher to recap the action, heap praise on Connor Bradley and assess our prospects for the rest of January amid a growing absentee list.

View full article

• Upvote 5

• dave u pinned this topic

I'm not hugely sure their goal is much to point fingers at the goalkeeper about. I have been quite critical of Kelleher this season but having watched their goal back 6 or 7 times, both Konaté and van Dijk step across his line of sight in the split seconds before Willian shoots. That makes it very difficult for him to react. I get it, it doesn't look great, but if you watch a replay you might see what I mean. 

I am up for an AFCON special! 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, No2 said:

Ha ha Chris is proper down on Darwin. I'm getting Tucker vibes from Something About Mary. He'll say anything to dig at "Dave's Boy" or maybe he just hates Uruguayans.

Don't need to hear it to know Chris will be hating on Darwin. He needs to embrace the chaos.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

On course for another Wembley final?

Bit presumptious that, they're only one goal behind and the second leg is at their place.

I think Fulham and Chelsea have to be favourites to go through.

I think you're doing a bit, so I won't push back too hard...

But we are on course. We won the first leg. If you're driving down the M1 towards London, you're on course. Doesn't mean we can't be knocked off course in the second leg. But as of right now? Of course we're on course! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rushies tash said:

Don't need to hear it to know Chris will be hating on Darwin. He needs to embrace the chaos.

2 hours ago, No2 said:

Ha ha Chris is proper down on Darwin. I'm getting Tucker vibes from Something About Mary. He'll say anything to dig at "Dave's Boy" or maybe he just hates Uruguayans.

ARGH! I resent that characterisation. I wasn't hating on him. I love him! I said in the intro that his introduction changed the game, I praised his performance and his role in the goals.

When in Dave's orbit every Nu-anced argument sounds like you're being full on negative. He'd be a great cult leader or populist political candidate. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

ARGH! I resent that characterisation. I wasn't hating on him. I love him! I said in the intro that his introduction changed the game, I praised his performance and his role in the goals.

When in Dave's orbit every Nu-anced argument sounds like you're being full on negative. He'd be a great cult leader or populist political candidate. 

Never used the haha emoji yet but you pushed me close there. 

Dave Manson. 

• Upvote 2

I will need to play it through again (good news for the dog) but do I understand right that if we get to the final and Jota misses a sitter, that’s fine, because he usually doesn’t, but that if Nunez misses a sitter, that isn’t fine because he usually does?

A great listen as ever.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, UnwelcomeinPeru said:

I will need to play it through again (good news for the dog) but do I understand right that if we get to the final and Jota misses a sitter, that’s fine, because he usually doesn’t, but that if Nunez misses a sitter, that isn’t fine because he usually does?

A great listen as ever.

If Jota misses a sitter he gets a pass because he's got previous for burying them and is reliable. Can't put them all away. 

If Darwin misses one, it's the 18-month trend catching up with us and costing us. Can't put any away.

3 hours ago, Chris said:

A wise woman once said...

Haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate, baby I'm just gonna shake shake shake shake shake, shake it off, shake it off.

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

A wise woman once said...

Haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate, baby I'm just gonna shake shake shake shake shake, shake it off, shake it off.

You used that specifically because you knew it would annoy me because I'm going to have to suffer through her celebrating when the Chiefs beat the Dolphins on Saturday, didn't you.

• Haha 1

Give him the penalties. Then he score more goals as well as terrorize defences, light up our attack and provide more assists than anyone else. Everybody’s happy except Mo and Code. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

You used that specifically because you knew it would annoy me because I'm going to have to suffer through her celebrating when the Chiefs beat the Dolphins on Saturday, didn't you.

Yeah, guilty.

I think the Dolphins will cause an upset though. 

4 minutes ago, aws said:

Give him the penalties. Then he score more goals as well as terrorize defences, light up our attack and provide more assists than anyone else. Everybody’s happy except Mo and Code. 

My heart couldn't take it. He has a 100% career record on penalties I think, but I don't care. I don't need the aggravation if he misses. Let Macca have them.

• Haha 1

On the concession of Fulham's goal, is there a betting person who would say that this ball actually would go IN THE GOAL from this point....?  You'd get massive odds!

goal.jpg

• Upvote 2

Two things from the thread

1) I took Chris’s view on “Nunez will cost us a big game” to be a prediction thing. Right now all evidence points towards him in the future missing big chances yet again, but this time someone else doesn’t come on to get the goals that saves the day, and it could be a Cup Final and it’ll have been entirely predictable. There is nothing to make us think that way about Jota or Salah.  However, if we get one chance in the 91st minute of a Cup Final and Jota skies it over from 5 yards, then he’ll be remembered for it, but everyone would say it was out of character and a surprise. If Nunez did it then everyone would say it was entirely predictable. 

I will add thigh that Nunez creates brilliant space and chances for others and I’d rather he is starting then not. 

2) There was comments made complaining why the referee brought on the medical staff for that pathetic slight touch to the face from Virgil, but I’m convinced the ref did it to teach the player a lesson. Once you bring the medical staff on the player has to leave the pitch.  The diving twat stood up and said he was fine when the ref summoned the medical people and some of the other players did too, but the ref angrily said no and kept summoning the medical people and then pointed to the line and told him to get off. I think it was the ref making a point to him that he knew he was acting up and was trying to get Virgil a red card with the lack of VAR. I was pleased the ref did it. 

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, JohnnyH said:

Two things from the thread

1) I took Chris’s view on “Nunez will cost us a big game” to be a prediction thing. Right now all evidence points towards him in the future missing big chances yet again, but this time someone else doesn’t come on to get the goals that saves the day, and it could be a Cup Final and it’ll have been entirely predictable. There is nothing to make us think that way about Jota or Salah.  However, if we get one chance in the 91st minute of a Cup Final and Jota skies it over from 5 yards, then he’ll be remembered for it, but everyone would say it was out of character and a surprise. If Nunez did it then everyone would say it was entirely predictable. 

I will add thigh that Nunez creates brilliant space and chances for others and I’d rather he is starting then not. 

2) There was comments made complaining why the referee brought on the medical staff for that pathetic slight touch to the face from Virgil, but I’m convinced the ref did it to teach the player a lesson. Once you bring the medical staff on the player has to leave the pitch.  The diving twat stood up and said he was fine when the ref summoned the medical people and some of the other players did too, but the ref angrily said no and kept summoning the medical people and then pointed to the line and told him to get off. I think it was the ref making a point to him that he knew he was acting up and was trying to get Virgil a red card with the lack of VAR. I was pleased the ref did it. 

I absolutely thought that at the time about the 2nd point. The ref had clearly thought "right you twat (I may be paraphrasing), if you want to roll around like that, you clearly need a medical team". I'm not sure if the laws of unsporting conduct stretch to play acting, but it would have been tempting to do it the instant he suddenly 'recovered'.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic