You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do not take out any policies with esure

dave u

Had my car insurance with them and when it came time for renewal their quote was high so I went elsewhere. A month before it was due to expire I went on the website to make sure it wasn't set to auto renew. It was.

There was no option to change that on their website (wonder why) and it suggested using the live chat. I did, and all I got was some automated bollocks that wasted 10 minutes before saying I needed to ring up. So I rang, and waited. And waited. And then I hung up.

I tried this again a couple of days later, same thing happened. So I searched for an email address but there wasn't any made available to customers. I've chat or phone, neither of which will get you through. There was an email account that was for people to send proof of NCD to though, so I sent an email to that one. I know it was seen because the account needs checking in case people send in NCD proof.

I received an email back the following afternoon saying 'this email address isn't monitored and you will not receive a reply to your query' so it was monitored and someone saw that I had made a query.

So ok, I tried the live chat and phone again, and the same thing happened. 50 minutes I tried to get through until it reached closing time, when I hung up as nobody was going to answer that phone after hours.

So I cancelled the direct debit (my payments were up to date, I just didn't want them taking money for a new policy that I didnt want) and sent them another email informing them. I got the same reply.

This morning I get a default notice and threats that if I don't pay they'll pass it on to debt referral. I phoned immediately, was waiting over half an hour to get through so thought fuck this, I can't be sat around all day dealing with this shit. So I found a complaints email address and fired off a complaint.

Genuinely don't know what I was supposed to do differently here. They made it impossible for me to actually tell them I didn't want their renewal.

Any advice for me?

Financial conduct authority? Threaten them with the ombudsman.

Might be a bit different for insurance, but in most financial services any complaint must be picked up and handled pretty (possible that your messages on the chat bot/unmonitored email might even count) quickly so worth waiting for their response, but if you haven't heard back it might be worth escalating.

After it's sorted check your credit score if there's any footprint of their error affecting you, hammer them.

Only just sent that email so we'll see how long it takes. It's such a massive hassle as shit like this is proper stressful. 

Esure own Sheila's Wheels too, and I had a nightmare with them a few months ago. I was doing my dad's insurance and did it all via the chat on their website. Set everything up, the lad tells me that's all done and the documents will be sent out. I didn't get them but assumed they'd sent them to my dad, while he thought I must have had them.

Four months later some woman crashed into the back of him and dented his back bumper. He asked me to dig out the insurance details and there was none. Nothing had been set up on the online account. I checked his bank statement (and mine just in case) and there was nothing from them. I rang them and they said there was no account.

I showed them the transcript of the live chat where everything had been completed and they said the lad didn't set the account up after he'd finished the chat.

Thankfully the bumper clicked back into shape and there was no need for insurance to get involved, but fucking hell. Absolutely incompetent. 

Pretty sure you'd have had good grounds to recoup if they'd made an agreement to provide cover. More and more they employ a bunch of kids who don't follow up, but trad insurance brokers are priced out for most people these days so you have to do the chasing they'd have done back in the day.

Will have a look later at the FCA sites to try and confirm my understanding, been about 4 years from working in the sector and even longer since I did the courses so things might have changed a bit.

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Had my car insurance with them and when it came time for renewal their quote was high so I went elsewhere. A month before it was due to expire I went on the website to make sure it wasn't set to auto renew. It was.

There was no option to change that on their website (wonder why) and it suggested using the live chat. I did, and all I got was some automated bollocks that wasted 10 minutes before saying I needed to ring up. So I rang, and waited. And waited. And then I hung up.

I tried this again a couple of days later, same thing happened. So I searched for an email address but there wasn't any made available to customers. I've chat or phone, neither of which will get you through. There was an email account that was for people to send proof of NCD to though, so I sent an email to that one. I know it was seen because the account needs checking in case people send in NCD proof.

I received an email back the following afternoon saying 'this email address isn't monitored and you will not receive a reply to your query' so it was monitored and someone saw that I had made a query.

So ok, I tried the live chat and phone again, and the same thing happened. 50 minutes I tried to get through until it reached closing time, when I hung up as nobody was going to answer that phone after hours.

So I cancelled the direct debit (my payments were up to date, I just didn't want them taking money for a new policy that I didnt want) and sent them another email informing them. I got the same reply.

This morning I get a default notice and threats that if I don't pay they'll pass it on to debt referral. I phoned immediately, was waiting over half an hour to get through so thought fuck this, I can't be sat around all day dealing with this shit. So I found a complaints email address and fired off a complaint.

Genuinely don't know what I was supposed to do differently here. They made it impossible for me to actually tell them I didn't want their renewal.

Any advice for me?

Twitter. Just make a public post outlining everything and threaten to go to the daily mail or something like cranks usually do. They'll shit one and get someone on the case, trusted reviews etc might be monitored too and I'd even tag the company ceo and board members in the twitter rant.

They do all the shirty things you mentioned to make it awkward, it's infuriating as people have fucking jobs and can't be on the phone all day. Its annoying that everything is stacked in the favour of the business, the twats think they're entitled to your money somehow.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, dave u said:

Any advice for me?

You have sent emails as evidence if they try to fuck you over. Let them waste their time over it for revenge.

14 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Now you know how it feels every single Friday when you don't bump the fridge magnet thread. 

Have you tried sending emails and phoning unmanned lines to get ‘help’?

https://register.fca.org.uk/s/firm?id=001b000000MfJFxAAN

FCA register info, including direct exec contact dets if you don't hear back.

https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/how-complain

Info about how complaints work in fin serv.

Complaint definition: Any expression of dissatisfaction from or on behalf of a customer whether oral, electronic or written and whether justified or not which includes an actual or potential financial loss, material distress or material inconvenience. To be 'eligible' it must also be about a regulated activity or product.

• Upvote 1